News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Downtown Markham

Testing out a new lens (27 December 2016):

Nexus
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Since the last update, a convenience store has opened in the base of Nexus South, with work ongoing on some sort of restaurant next to it. The work on the 'Good Catch Boil House' is continuing and a Scotiabank is going into the unit next to it. Lots of people out skating on the rink next to the carousel today also.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that a new Viva Purple curbside station is being prepared just east of the Cineplex and Signature buildings on Enterprise, and is planned for an opening sometime later this year:

From the January 2017 YRT system map (PDF):

br5F7LM.jpg

TSJNPIZ.jpg

jlov0UU.jpg

ZuSgtue.jpg

Last edited:
Wow the Good Catch Boil House is really coming along!

The dining room is massive and I love how open it looks from the street. I expect the place to be busy and the only way people can enter is from the street. Can't wait to see some pedestrian activity finally.

All of the storefronts facing Enterprise are now taken (with the exception of one unit). I think Scotiabank is opening next to Good Catch.

I took a walk around downtown Markham for the first time this weekend. There are a lot of positives, but what I really noticed was how strangely uninviting the carousel in the main square is. Part of it is the glass enclosure, which has a kind of bus shelter vibe to it. My girlfriend said the enclosure building looked a bit like a gas station. Not really a fan of the junkyard aesthetic either.

The square itself has a lot of potential but I don't like how they treated the north side. It's separated from the bus road by a fence and a slight hill with landscaping on it. In classic Toronto public square fashion, obstacles have been placed around the edges of the square rather than have it blend seamlessly into the surrounding cityscape. I get that the road is part of the VIVA line, but the other side of it isn't fenced off and has inviting sidewalks and public spaces, some of which are lined with retail. Because of the grade change and fence, the square feels unnecessarily separated from the buildings and patio areas north of it. The reflecting pool/skating rink looks like a nice gathering place. It and the carousel weren't operational so that probably added to the unfavourable impression of the square.

Wow the Good Catch Boil House is really coming along!

The dining room is massive and I love how open it looks from the street. I expect the place to be busy and the only way people can enter is from the street. Can't wait to see some pedestrian activity finally.

All of the storefronts facing Enterprise are now taken (with the exception of one unit). I think Scotiabank is opening next to Good Catch.

Good Catch was pretty good. They have a great craft beer selection!

I noticed York Condo's has started breaking ground, they're moving dirt around.

The Verdale Bridge construction across to Uptown Markham has stopped due to the winter probably. Sign says to be completed in Fall 2018.

While I watch Uptown Markham get built up so quickly, I'm wondering when will Remington start up Downtown Markham east of Verdale?! It seems like it's taking forever and not much going on.

its hard to know when Remington will do its next building. They have a large commercial mix, which is more complicated to find tenants than residential buildings. York Condos was a big success from my understanding however, so I imagine that they are pushing for another residential phase.

The Toronto Marriott Markham Hotel is schedule to open August-November 2017. On the ground floor will be a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

Just noticed the big Under Amour sign at the theatre, I'm guessing they're the tenant for the office space upstairs.

Good to see they found a tenant for the space. It's been sitting empty for a while.

Any word on when we will see something about the next phase of development?

I was just now thinking how since leaving my job at Markham Rd. and 14th Ave. back in 2015, I've not once been inclined to visit to the north of the 407. Is Highway 7 still in perpetual construction?

Raw-More (Moré?) has opened in Nexus South, with another unit (might be the medical clinc) getting fitted out next to it. Both Goodlife and Kiu are actually pretty busy from what I've seen. The Pride of Canada carousel frame has gone up and the adjacent skating rink/splash pad is getting final touches, as is the changeroom facilities.

Raw Amore has closed, the unit is empty, all the fixtures are gone. Just opened next door is a flower shop. Around the other side is a convenience store and dry cleaner.

Here's my question ... Raw Amore just lasted a year, did they open too early ??? With the AVIVA insurance company set to move in this spring across the street with 1,500 employees, they would have had some business. IMO, I think they were counting on business from the carousel. The carousel doesn't attract anybody. It cost $ 2.00 for five turn arounds. The only time the carousel attracted business was the opening when it was free of charge.

South side of the Nexus building is a tough sell, sad to say. Just too far away from Enterprise and barely any visibility from Birchmount. Coming north, cars would have to do a u turn even if you get any interest - a major inconvenience. Non-existent foot traffic except for locals. With the new Viva station, there's no reason for people to stop at the Warden station to get to the theatre. We bought a couple small plants from the florist to support the new business. :)

Lots of activity on the east side of the building though. New Chinese restaurant is coming along, as well as smaller spaces building in. The 168 went kaput as well but something else going on it's place. A French bistro is going to occupy the carousel building. I think that would be a pretty neat location for a restaurant.

With ChaTime in the Cineplex building, theatre goers have no reason to venture outdoor and walk a block north to "168" ( even if they know it's there ).

Sam ... any idea what's going to replace the Remington presentation building ?

What's happening at the corner of birchmount and verclaire gate south? They've recently started flattening out the land and fenced in the area with trucks and trailers. Is this the next development starting?

Back