News   Apr 23, 2024
 247     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 788     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 460     0 

Downtown Yonge

House of Lords hair salon set to close after 51 years

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ords-hair-salon-on-yonge-st-set-to-close.html

On Tuesday, Paul Burford, the owner of House Of Lords, declared on Facebook that he was closing his studio due to increasing property taxes. He told his staff on Wednesday that the studio would close on October 1, after 51 years of operation.

“I’m closing down, I made a decision, I’ve had enough, I’m 75, I work every day,” said Burford. “You try to give the customer a good deal, keep the prices down, employ 20 people, and then they whack you with double tax,” said Burford, standing outside of his truck with House of Lords branding painted on it.

“The mayor, I see him today on TV talking about bicycles. We’ve got another zillion dollars worth of bicycles . . . but for Christ’s sake, give us a break on Yonge St.”

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/yonge-tax-meeting-1.4252524

Renewed hope of avoiding 'death by property taxes' for Yonge Street businesses hit by 100% hike

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation will be re-assessing the value of dozens of Yonge Street commercial properties, which could potentially bring business owners some relief after a 100 per cent tax hike, the neighbourhood's councillor announced on Friday.

About 80 small commercial retail properties in the area's heritage conservation district will be re-assessed by MPAC, the not-for-profit corporation that assesses and classifies all properties in Ontario, Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam said.

Walked by the old Freeman Formalwear store (which was currently for lease) and saw this. Bets on whether it was an insurance thing, or accidental squatter fire?

fire.jpg

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
onge Street has closed down for the past two days in this section due to the investigation/clean up. It's cool to see the exposed brick beneath the terrible brown/black siding. Too bad it had to burn down for that...

yonge3.jpg
yonge2.jpg
yonge1.jpg

Attachments

• yonge3.jpg
    yonge3.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 536
  • yonge2.jpg
    yonge2.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 552
  • yonge1.jpg
    yonge1.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 564
Went for a walk, 7am this Labour Day morning from Cabbagetown, along Gerrard to Fran’s for breakfast, and then walked down Yonge to Dundas. All I can say is the morning silence and calm made me notice just how filthy and neglected our downtown is. Litter everywhere, gum all over the sidewalks, city garbage bins dug through and their contents over the sidewalk, badly cracked and broken road surfaces (Gerrard and Yonge looks especially smashed up), and vagrants sleeping everywhere and drugged out beggars and the insane wandering about like some sort of dystopian zombie flick. As I walked down Yonge four police cars raced up behind me and six cops beat down some crazed guy, hog tied his feet and threw in the backseat and drove off, leaving a half dozen other crazies to gesticulate and mumble.

I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’ve just returned from Singapore, but the filth, disrepair and neglect of Yonge St. south of Bloor and its surrender to the underclass really bothers me. I would gladly pay a downtown improvement levy to address these issues, and to make downtown east an attractive place to live and walk.

Went for a walk, 7am this Labour Day morning from Cabbagetown, along Gerrard to Fran’s for breakfast, and then walked down Yonge to Dundas. All I can say is the morning silence and calm made me notice just how filthy and neglected our downtown is. Litter everywhere, gum all over the sidewalks, city garbage bins dug through and their contents over the sidewalk, badly cracked and broken road surfaces (Gerrard and Yonge looks especially smashed up), and vagrants sleeping everywhere and drugged out beggars and the insane wandering about like some sort of dystopian zombie flick. As I walked down Yonge four police cars raced up behind me and six cops beat down some crazed guy, hog tied his feet and threw in the backseat and drove off, leaving a half dozen other crazies to gesticulate and mumble.

I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’ve just returned from Singapore, but the filth, disrepair and neglect of Yonge St. south of Bloor and its surrender to the underclass really bothers me. I would gladly pay a downtown improvement levy to address these issues, and to make downtown east an attractive place to live and walk.
This is why in another UT thread I stated I have abandoned Yonge Street for Bay Street. Bay Street is much more pleasing to walk along.

I don't really care about the "sub-par" architecture and lack of "culture" on Bay Street. It is a much better walking experience than Yonge Street.

Back