News   Mar 28, 2024
 115     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 178     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 250     0 

Family Sized Condos

As I was saying ...

<Train and his family are part of a growing trend in Canada’s priciest housing markets. As the cost of a traditional house spirals well above $1 million — January numbers from the Toronto Real Estate Board peg the average detached price at $1,336,640 in the city proper, and $999,102 throughout the GTA — many buyers needing room to grow are turning to condos as their only affordable option.

It’s a significant change that has been noted by building developers, who are starting to swap ultra-modern micro-units for multi-bedroom suites with ample square footage.>

I don't know what "ample" means because the price/square foot is high but whatevs.

Bonus: I see former Toronto Star architecture critic Christopher Hume is all over that site.

I would also like to know what their definition of ample square footage is -- things I have seen marketed as family units are small! Three bedrooms in less than 1,000 sq ft for example.

Our 3-BR unit is 1,000 sf and I think it would be fine for one or two kids.

It all depends on layout. I've seen some whacky layouts in newer builds, with wasted space in long halls or 5-piece bathrooms as big as bedrooms.

Because our unit is older, our bathrooms are old-fashioned economical (i.e. toilet, single sink and bath tub with shower) and there are no long halls that bend this way and that. People do renovate the baths, of course, but there's no way to put in double sinks unless one takes out a wall.

The ones I have seen have tiny bedrooms that barely hold a double bed ... and less than 1,000 sq ft so like 800-850! I have 2 bedrooms plus a den in 1500 sq ft so I guess I'm spoiled :)

When we were looking around, we were very discouraged by :

(1) ridiculous open "bar" kitchens without space for full-sized fridges (we have a French door with water/ice dispenser)

(2) closets and bathrooms bigger than bedrooms

(3) "dens" or third "bedrooms" that could serve as no more than pantries or computer nooks

(4) weird layouts: in one case, there was a ginormous foyer (nice but not necessary) and then a long hall that was too wide for me to touch the sides but not wide enough for much-needed added storage.

We have four double closets, one-walk-in in the MBR and one large utility cupboard (about 6x8). This doesn't include a large storage locker downstairs. And there's a king-sized bed in the MBR, with actual bedside furniture, two armchairs and an actual dresser.

But I think you are more uptown Pink Lucy so your place may have been built originally for larger families while ours were probably not as we are close to downtown.

A friend lives at King & Sherbourne in a two-BR and it's supposedly as big as ours but, frankly, I don't see where the extra footage went.

I went condo shopping with my daughter last year -- the mini-sized appliances (fridges and stoves) were frustrating -- they ended up buying in an older building so they could have full sized appliances.

Dens that are nothing but an indent in the wall drive me crazy. Ours accommodates two full sized desks (we work from home) plus a bar (I have delusions of living in Mad Men times). with actual windows. It has a door and could be a third bedroom easily, or a sitting room (my retirement dream).

We have a full dining room and a living room.

We have two walk in closets and two other large closets; we have an actual laundry room (not just a closet); both bedrooms accommodate a king sized bed.

We're downtown, building is about 7 years old -- I think we were one of the last with larger units amongst the building boom buildings.

Wow. You must be rich. :) Downtown? How are your CEFs? Do they include heat/hydro?

Our second bedroom has a full-sized L-shaped sofa (one side opens to a double bed if needed) plus a large wall unit with a 60 inch TV and a draecana marginata that is taking over the planet. I need a sickle. It's our den. You could easily put two kids in there.

The third bedroom is only 10 x 10 but is big enough for built-ins: two computer desks plus bookshelves.

All three have windows.

LR is a good-sized (two sofas, four chairs), DR not so much. But kitchen is eat-in with a window!

Also a balcony with amazing views.

haha, we bought a while ago -- selling is enticing in this market, however.
Our fees include heat (in terms of natural gas), we pay our own hydro. Per square foot, they are lower than other buildings in the area because we have had a very proactive, forward thinking, involved board that isn't afraid to spend money when needed but doesn't spend it unnecessarily. (oh wait, I'm on that board, haha)

Our balcony views are also amazing -- lake, downtown, airport -- want to buy it? :)

Wow, 2 bedrooms and a den @ 1,500 sq ft with lake/downtown view?! You've got me drooling that's for sure. It's what my gf and I were looking for last year and those are not only rare, but they are also $$$. :(

We did find a number of 2 or 3 bedrooms that were too small for our tastes (less than 900 sq ft).

Our 3-BR unit is 1,000 sf and I think it would be fine for one or two kids.

It all depends on layout. I've seen some whacky layouts in newer builds, with wasted space in long halls or 5-piece bathrooms as big as bedrooms.

Because our unit is older, our bathrooms are old-fashioned economical (i.e. toilet, single sink and bath tub with shower) and there are no long halls that bend this way and that. People do renovate the baths, of course, but there's no way to put in double sinks unless one takes out a wall.
Older units are bigger. My sister has a 1200 sq ft 2 bedroom condo, that's a proper 2 bedroom

Extra sf would be awesome but I would never trade it for a walk score of 92, and TTC and Bike scores of 99, a 24/7 supermarket and a pub across the street, a pool, etc. :cool:

The main issue with small units is that storage is lacking. We recently bought a bigger unit than what we had from a low-rise developer who is converting old brown-stone duplexes into stacked low-rise flats. Family sized units (1100 sq ft+) for 2+den (proper den - window, door, could be baby room)/3 bedrooms in nice areas of the city: circabuilt.ca

The main advantage is low CEF (more of a town house feel). The build quality is superb - built to luxury home standards. Custom kitchens and custom storage in closets (this is a big plus in condos).

This is what they call the missing middle. Toronto should encourage more of this type of buildings. They are on the upper end to build but the maintenance is a lot lower compared with high rises as there is no security, no management on site and not elevators or expensive elements to maintain.

The main issue with small units is that storage is lacking. We recently bought a bigger unit than what we had from a low-rise developer who is converting old brown-stone duplexes into stacked low-rise flats. Family sized units (1100 sq ft+) for 2+den (proper den - window, door, could be baby room)/3 bedrooms in nice areas of the city: circabuilt.ca

The main advantage is low CEF (more of a town house feel). The build quality is superb - built to luxury home standards. Custom kitchens and custom storage in closets (this is a big plus in condos).

This is what they call the missing middle. Toronto should encourage more of this type of buildings. They are on the upper end to build but the maintenance is a lot lower compared with high rises as there is no security, no management on site and not elevators or expensive elements to maintain.

These look like they did reduce the number of individual dwelling units by a lot though. I think missing middle aims to increase available housing.

Back