Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: EY Tower | 188.05m | 40s | Oxford Properties | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I like Hume too. But I fail to really understand his rather harsh commentary here. I think this is one of the most spectacular, practical and beautiful projects downtown. During my last visit to Toronto, I walked past the future
underground PATH entrance to this building. I am looking forward to seeing how it integrates with PATH.

I hope more buildings will adopt this model.

We're in trouble if this is one of the most spectacular, practical and beautiful projects downtown. They didn't cheap out here. (except for not using full height glass) That's about all there is to this. I agree with Hume. They have tried to merge two parts together that shouldn't be together. The result is a compromised glass tower of clumsy angles and planes.

Street level is great and it can be dangerous to look up so, I don't mind this project at all. I just don't want it to be called (one of the) most spectacular projects in the downtown as hard as it is to not agree with it.

Lights on.

IMG_3599.JPG
IMG_3555.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_3599.JPG
    IMG_3599.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 276
We're in trouble if this is one of the most spectacular, practical and beautiful projects downtown. They didn't cheap out here. (except for not using full height glass) That's about all there is to this. I agree with Hume. They have tried to merge two parts together that shouldn't be together. The result is a compromised glass tower of clumsy angles and planes.

Street level is great and it can be dangerous to look up so, I don't mind this project at all. I just don't want it to be called (one of the) most spectacular projects in the downtown as hard as it is to not agree with it.
The amount of work that has gone into recreating the Concourse Building facade, in better shape than anyone can remember seeing it, should not be downplayed. The stonework, the mosaics, the ornamentation at the crown (not just street realm) is all superb. For a building that was losing tenants, which was outmoded in many ways—modern HVAC, communications, and electrical systems, but especially bad in regards to accessibility—and which had generated no viable solutions which could have preserved it (including conversion to apartments or a hotel), this was the best that could have been hoped for, and to my eye, it's more than a simple success.

When you attach something like this to a new build, the questions are always "do we blend the new architecture in?" or "do we set the two apart?" The latter was the option taken by I.M. Pei at the Louvre, and while this isn't quite that, the old and new work here similarly, setting each other off. While the angles and planes of the modern building may look 'clumsy' to you and some others, another camp might choose 'daring' or 'refreshing' to describe their take on them. At the least, they are atypical for Downtown Toronto, just like this arrangement between old and new is. As facadomies go, this strikes me as the best one in town, and a rather shining example that's lifted high above an otherwise mostly motley crew.

heard from someone at EY. They are moving over in 2 phases. Victoria Day and the weekend after. (was an official announcement...not a rumour)

They are in the upper floors so I assume the other tenants will not be long behind them.

Feels like this was a super fast build. Didn't the Sun Life Tower start about 6 months before this one?

The amount of work that has gone into recreating the Concourse Building facade, in better shape than anyone can remember seeing it, should not be downplayed. The stonework, the mosaics, the ornamentation at the crown (not just street realm) is all superb. For a building that was losing tenants, which was outmoded in many ways—modern HVAC, communications, and electrical systems, but especially bad in regards to accessibility—and which had generated no viable solutions which could have preserved it (including conversion to apartments or a hotel), this was the best that could have been hoped for, and to my eye, it's more than a simple success.

When you attach something like this to a new build, the questions are always "do we blend the new architecture in?" or "do we set the two apart?" The latter was the option taken by I.M. Pei at the Louvre, and while this isn't quite that, the old and new work here similarly, setting each other off. While the angles and planes of the modern building may look 'clumsy' to you and some others, another camp might choose 'daring' or 'refreshing' to describe their take on them. At the least, they are atypical for Downtown Toronto, just like this arrangement between old and new is. As facadomies go, this strikes me as the best one in town, and a rather shining example that's lifted high above an otherwise mostly motley crew.

I totally agree with Interchange42, they have done a superb job of incorporation. My only wish....10 more stories to show the angular facets.

Cool! Is that in season two? We're just working our way through season one. Looking forward to seeing the T.O. skyline.

Cool! Is that in season two? We're just working our way through season one. Looking forward to seeing the T.O. skyline.

Yep Season 2 - that particular clip isn't included in the initial run but will be later on. There are quite a few Toronto stand-in in Season 1 as well (Ripley Aquarium, Roy Thomson Hall)

AoD

Late afternoon light:

DSC08749.jpg

DSC08750.jpg

DSC08751.jpg

DSC08752.jpg

DSC08754.jpg

DSC08756.jpg

DSC08755.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08749.jpg
    DSC08749.jpg