News   Apr 18, 2024
 695     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Which of the four regions in the GTA do you think has closer ties to Toronto itself?

Which one is closer or more linked to the city?

• Halton

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Peel

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • York

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Durham

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Portuguese, Russian and Korean communites followed likewise into York Region.

I can only really think of the Polish (and Ukrainian) community as an example of flowing from Toronto to Mississauga.

Black Torontonians though tend to go to Brampton or Ajax-Pickering when they move to the 905. I suspect these are extensions of NW Toronto and Scarborough respectively.

Ajax and Pickering are the only suburbs of Toronto where Black Canadians are the largest visible minority group. It seems like they are mostly of Caribbean roots.

Another question to pose perhaps is which has closer ties to Toronto: Halton or Durham? Both are whiter and further removed. Durham does share a border with Toronto, but is also the "odd man out" of the 905 with its more "white working class" character and the presence of the industrial satellite city of Oshawa. Halton has a much more white collar character, with Oakville being the closest thing we have to US railroad suburbs like those found in Westchester, Connecticut and Chicago's North Shore. Burlington though functions as a suburb of both Hamilton and Toronto.

Both are about 80% white, but just 22% of Durham residents have a university degree, compared to 38% in Halton.

An older UT discussion to be found here:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...am-more-into-the-gta.18473/page-2#post-613343

Last edited:
Durham being considered the most isolated region from Toronto seems to parallel Scarborough being the most isolated from the old city.
Perhaps you could even say Durham still resembles in some ways the Scarborough of a generation ago.

just 22% of Durham residents have a university degree, compared to 38% in Halton.

You occasionally hear about how the area between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo is a rising innovation corridor that's clamoring to be Silicon Valley North.
Oshawa, though, is also trying to be a knowledge/research hub, with the fairly new UOIT, as well as Trent.

You occasionally hear about how the area between Toronto and Kitchener-Waterloo is a rising innovation corridor that's clamoring to be Silicon Valley North.
Oshawa, though, is also trying to be a knowledge/research hub, with the fairly new UOIT, as well as Trent.

Growth in the GTA has long been more skewed towards the west (and north), rather than to the east.

The high tech workforce is more concentrated in York Region than in Halton/Peel.

Durham does share a border with Toronto, but is also the "odd man out" of the 905 with its more "white working class" character

It seems like "white working class character" is a term or phrasing rarely used to describe any parts of the city of Toronto and its nearby vicinity. For example, in the three cities map about income polarization, the working class areas in Toronto are associated with visible minorities and/or immigrants (people talk about "white working class" and "immigrant" as opposing groups, especially in US media, sometimes framed as "competing" groups but in theory they could overlap), while the places with the least immigrants/minorities are shown as the most well off.

It seems like "white working class character" is a term or phrasing rarely used to describe any parts of the city of Toronto and its nearby vicinity. For example, in the three cities map about income polarization, the working class areas in Toronto are associated with visible minorities and/or immigrants (people talk about "white working class" and "immigrant" as opposing groups, especially in US media, sometimes framed as "competing" groups but in theory they could overlap), while the places with the least immigrants/minorities are shown as the most well off.

There aren't too many areas of Toronto or its adjacent suburbs that are both predominantly white and predominantly working class.

There aren't too many areas of Toronto or its adjacent suburbs that are both predominantly white and predominantly working class.

Isn't this kind of like how some of the largest cosmopolitan cities stateside (eg. NYC) tend to have minorities (of all classes?) and white professionals together nowadays, but supposedly not white and non-white working classes together (... and then people discuss the implications of how race vs. class consciousness divides people).

I know there's a much different history stateside but "white flight" followed by gentrification seems to an explanation for how many cities got this way south of the border.
However, I notice that Toronto and US cities still show a similar pattern. I don't think Montreal or Vancouver (or other Canadian cities) show similar patterns or at least as strong of it.

Last edited:
Isn't this kind of like how some of the largest cosmopolitan cities stateside (eg. NYC) tend to have minorities (of all classes?) and white professionals together nowadays, but supposedly not white and non-white working classes together (... and then people discuss the implications of how race vs. class consciousness divides people).

I know there's a much different history stateside but "white flight" followed by gentrification seems to an explanation for how many cities got this way south of the border.
However, I notice that Toronto and US cities still show a similar pattern. I don't think Montreal or Vancouver (or other Canadian cities) show similar patterns or at least as strong of it.

White professionals and minorities are together in the sense that they're in the inner city and closer-in suburbs, if not necessarily in the same neighborhoods. But yes, it's the far flung exurbs that are generally more white non-professional.

Southern York Region very much feels like a suburban extension of North York, more than Mississauga does for Etobicoke or Ajax/Pickering for Scarborough IMO.

If you mean grid continuity, then yes, but not in appearance. Southern York Region is much newer and lacks the ramshackle character of North York, especially west of Yonge, By contrast, both Bloor and Dundas on both sides of the Etobicoke Creek look identical.

The corner of Dufferin and Centre St. doesn't look at all like North York. It's one of those odd fringe pockets you see in parts of Southern York Region:
Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 782
Last edited:
That's true, I was thinking road grids and community ties as well. Vaughan was really late to develop. The Markham side of Thornhill on the other hand is very much a continuation of North York's Bayview/Leslie corridor.

Back