News   Apr 24, 2024
 185     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 492     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 3K     7 

Cabbagetown

King Place is better than Butter Chicken Factory by a sizable margin. Maybe not as nice to get to (that intersection, boy howdy), but the food is fantastic.

There was a crew working on the weekend at 456-458 Parliament St, the half-finished row of buildings north of the House on Parliament. They took down the metal fence and seemed to be putting in new windows/doors at ground level.

There's a row of buildings north of Carlton which at ground level seem to be unoccupied, but also got new windows and doors on the upper levels quite recently (from 480 Parliament St to about 488).

A sign of good things to come, I wonder?

My understanding is that the owner of 456-458 Parliament St. has stopped finishing the interiors, with intent to have the tenants complete the inside at their cost, and then he'll evict them at the end of the lease. AIUI, the owner is not well regarded.

My understanding is that the owner of 456-458 Parliament St. has stopped finishing the interiors, with intent to have the tenants complete the inside at their cost, and then he'll evict them at the end of the lease. AIUI, the owner is not well regarded.

Yuck. I understand there are a few similar landlords about (the owner of the former Labor of Love location on the N side of Carlton, for instance).

Wow. I moved away two years ago and that's still not done? That fire was almost 6 years ago.

Tried to go to Johnny G's on Sunday for breakfast but it was closed due to plumbing issues. It's not great, but since the staff change at Chew Chews, JGs had become my go-to place on my walk to church each Sunday morning. So, this Sunday I walked up to Cranberries, and I have to say the service was MUCH better, the food as good or better for less cost, and the coffee MUCH better than JGs. I've noticed Cranberries a few times but never gone inside - now this is my favourite breakfast place. Though I'll try Under The Table in future.

There is lots of new retail in the 'hood - the Yogurty's location beside Jet Fuel is now a tip-top pizza place called Salt & Tobacco (I've been 5x already - highly recommend). The former Labor of Love location is a high-end cosmetics store. And the strip north of Carlton/Parliament will soon reopen with a few new stores including a credit union and a fitness centre.

There is some additional sketchiness too - I have heard that Cabbagetown South has been successful in getting a stepped-up police presence, which has driven some of the usual suspects east of Parliament to prey on bikes. Several neighbors have had bikes stolen lately and the Cabbagetowner website has some further information.

Salt & Tobacoo is great! So happy to have them in the neighbourhood. Hope they're here a long, long time. I have to limit myself to twice a week there maximum. It's so good.

Happy to hear about the other retail opening soon.

Shame about the sketchienss. If you see or hear something report it!!! We're all in this together.

There is some additional sketchiness too - Several neighbors have had bikes stolen lately and the Cabbagetowner website has some further information.
I've been watching those grainy surveillance camera vids on the CT site, and I often wonder what's the point of the footage? The police aren't going to take a still and canvas the neighbourhood or tell their officers to watch out for "this" guy. While a determined thief will take anything they want, when I watch these vids I think to myself, why is this bike affixed to your front porch with a cable lock? My neighbours lock their bikes to their wooden front porch, an easy steal. I keep my bikes all in the house, regardless of my enclosed and locked backyard.

Stryke Target Range on Dundas just east of River (formerly a dog grooming store, beside the Lexus dealership) has an Open House this weekend starting today at 3:00 pm. For anyone looking to throw an axe.
http://stryke.ca/promos/

B4hL1sa.jpg

I'm hoping to check it out later this evening.

Back