Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

LRT along instead of BRT would have been a disaster because buses, unlike LRT, get rid of the last mile. You can take your local bus t your front door and end at Renforth if needed. These are especially pertinent in suburban cities were people often have car options and densities are lower.

I don't think this was primarily built for downtown bound traffic as that is what Miss to subway routes and/or GO are made foor. This is an excellent route to get to the airport and potential extension for a comprehensive BRT system stretching East/West thru North Toronto and York Region.

I am kinda skeptical of OC Transpo cutting 500-600 jobs because of LRT. Even though LRT is more efficient and replacing buses, the LRT will still increase demand on the connecting bus routes, right? Otherwise, why build LRT in the first place?

LRT will replace dozens of buses on Hurontario, so does that mean all those buses will just be sitting in the garage unused? Is Mississauga Transit going to eliminate a hundred jobs? That's stupid.

I don't understand the point of building LRT if the overall ridership stays exactly the same and no service increase is needed.

Would the bus ridership of TTC increase if they close the entire subway system? I don't think that is how it works.

OC Transpo has 52% cost recovery ratio, higher than Calgary and Edmonton and Translink other systems that already have light rail or better. What cost recovery is OC Transpo is expecting with LRT? More than STM in Montreal (57%)?

I am kinda skeptical of OC Transpo cutting 500-600 jobs because of LRT. Even though LRT is more efficient and replacing buses, the LRT will still increase demand on the connecting bus routes, right? Otherwise, why build LRT in the first place?

I don't think it's the change from BRT to LRT so much as eliminating the 1-seat ride and forcing transfers/consolidation of riders. Many of the higher frequency routes which currently run downtown will be shortened considerably and likely turn into much simpler neighbourhood circulator routes.

Last edited:
Don't forget, OC is replacing artic with double deck buses that will seat more and use some of those artic will go to replace 40' buses to allow them to carry more riders and maintain existing headway.

OC should had a plan in place years ago as how they would deal with the lost of drivers by going P3 for LRT in place of using their staff. Then its the same story for the union, as they knew positions would be lost, buy how does a smaller union pay for the retire folks without jacking up dues for current member without cutting payout to the retire.

Mississauga has a plan in place to replace the 33 buses or so assign to Hurontario once the LRT opens like its doing for revamping the service for the Transitway. Its still unknown if MT will run the LRT or go P3 at this time.

If one looks at the bus replacement and what going on today, MT has a below the line for spare ratio to the point you can find wrong buses on most routes these days and for the next few years. EZ on #3 at peak time and #1 is off the wall as well finding 60' on EZ routes as well express buses on local route or the opposite.

If you eliminate single seat ride, you need to replace it with something better to the point the 2 seat ride can end up being the faster way to go, as well increasing the cost recovery.

Having taken the transit on a weekly bases, what hurts the overall project is lack of connection in the eastern communities, the stations do not have great amenities near them, you see that the transit way buses going from Meadowvale to Square One, are usually packed however because the way the stations are developed on the eastern sections, beside people going to work there is not a lot of traffic on them. I think what hurts the service as well is no Sunday Service and developing it match the Subway in terms of last buses would be wonderful.

Aug 21
Quality of service on the Transitway will not really be improved until later 2017 when the whole thing opens. Sunday service is coming in 2017.

I finally went out and had a look at both Erin Mills and Winston Churchill Stations and this broken down by station. Over 150 photos for both stations and the ROW now on line.

Erin Mills
Had a real look at the NIMBY complaints and like I said before "Don't like it, Move" Most of the house east of the washroom have trees blocking their view of the station, but have some claim to the street light near their property line, but not much. As for the couple beside the washroom built, they don't have any trees there and are on a pie shape lot. The house is about 60' from the property line with the building another 20' to the south. I thought I took a photo from the building and showing the back of the house, but never did. The next house to the west is even further away from the property line and doesn't have any light issue like the complainer.

There are 4 locations that this building could have been built closer to the station for any bus driver could walk to, than drive the bus to the current location.

The ROW between Erin Mills and Winston is near completion with a few sections still to be pave, as well install the guard rail. In a few locations, a concrete barrier wall has replace the the guardrail and you can see the bolts on the bridges for that missing railing now.

Winston Churchill Station
Depending on GO, this station can be ready for service come Jan or April, depending on how GO wants to change the schedules. Have to check with Mississauga what time frame they are looking at having the 109 to service this station and then use Winston Churchill north compare to current routing. At the same time, have to see when all the routes that currently bypass these station will start to service them.

The washroom building is in the same location as Erin Mills, but have townhouses backing onto it with no trees around it.

There is an walkway area that will connect the station to the streets north of it. There is another area to the east that an short connection between the station and the street can be built for another walkway.

One thing I did noticed and the first time seeing this design for a transmission tower. In place of the sloping base for tower like the rest, it was a square steel box frame. Looking at the photo again after I had written this the first time, this is a new tower 100%. This required all the wires removed from the tower before the tower was removed to allow the new tower to be installed. Once the tower was up, the wires would have to be reconnected to the tower. A very costly item.

Erin Mills
28980172420_4304dfb12b_h.jpg

29268578055_62d3682c39_h.jpg

29234125996_4141c95054_h.jpg

29234127776_7179c46978_h.jpg

ROW
28645234914_bc1462c075_h.jpg

28980122110_850479456d_h.jpg

29160231832_2909b4ca3c_h.jpg

29170098702_e1efba3d04_h.jpg

29244391706_593403168f_h.jpg

Winston Churchill
29244317946_f180a6d247_h.jpg

28655635634_79e2ee9f01_h.jpg

28657294113_58f38806ee_h.jpg

28655442424_77203b5622_h.jpg

29169927662_6dfd986b2f_h.jpg

29169900032_0a26e02354_h.jpg

29244152356_a716e4eaec_h.jpg

29244091816_f63779a002_h.jpg

28989931940_a8ddbe751f_h.jpg

29244094706_daf6a7503c_h.jpg

What does this have to do with anything?

In reference to link.

Erin Mills
Had a real look at the NIMBY complaints and like I said before "Don't like it, Move" Most of the house east of the washroom have trees blocking their view of the station, but have some claim to the street light near their property line, but not much. As for the couple beside the washroom built, they don't have any trees there and are on a pie shape lot. The house is about 60' from the property line with the building another 20' to the south. I thought I took a photo from the building and showing the back of the house, but never did. The next house to the west is even further away from the property line and doesn't have any light issue like the complainer.

The TTC once banned Mississauga Transit from Islington Station because people complained and held protests to block buses along Burnhamthorpe, which the City of Toronto classifies a Major Arterial, and to this day MT route 76 (formerly 86/206) is diverted off of Burnthamthorpe onto the 427 (a longer and less direct route to Islington) to placate the NIMBYs, the City of Toronto and the TTC. So in terms of NIMBYism against transit buses and transit riders, the people of Toronto are in a class of their own. The people of Toronto are the last people who should be criticizing these Mississauga residents.

Sept 4
Got to do some head scratching For the Renforth Gateway area.

If the push beginning this year for the Spectrum Station, it would had open on Sept 6 to the new Emergency exit/entrance at grade between Spectrum and Orbitor Station.

Spectrum is more advance than Orbitor, but Orbitor should have all the concrete road done either by this weekend or early next week, while there is none for Orbitor.

If thing stay on course for the remaining of the year, sub base asphalt should be down west of the Renforth Terminal.

I will be surprise not to see traffic light on Commerce Blvd where the on/off ramps on both side of will connect to it.

Steel going up for the Renforth Gateway Terminal that totally different from all the other station. The south platform looks like it has stair and elevator at both end. The north platform has stairs at both ends with elevator at the west end. Its possible that there will be an elevator for the east end that will connect to a walkway that will connect to the south platform.

The first section of the new Renforth Bridge should be open to traffic in October or sooner since they are pouring the concrete roadway now. Once that opens, then the current road can be remove to allow the rest of the bridge to be built as well building the ROW.

I am at a lost some what why is there a tunnel being built under Eglinton at right angle other than have TTC northbound 112 bus gain access to the terminal as well having buses get back onto Eglinton Ave eastbound. If its for getting back onto Eglinton, why not do it on an angle?

At the same time, they built a new road and bridge for access to Matheson Blvd and its wide enough for 2 lanes for the ROW. Does this mean the ROW will be duel direction when it connect to Eglinton to the east that starting to get built?? This is where head scratching comes into place for the area without seeing the site plan.

The east side of the terminal will house a fair number of buses in layover bays as well the west side.

I would say off hand, all transit systems will be using this terminal late 2017. It will be interesting to see what will happen when the Eglinton LRT show up in the next 10-15 for access to it.

A lot more photos up on site
28865588424_7371f67799_h.jpg

29381858622_e4811e56ce_h.jpg

28872992894_8a5e9aa331_h.jpg

29381821382_3d7240ae2e_h.jpg

29490285635_40d590831e_h.jpg

29463495566_2dfc9ab8f7_h.jpg

29208645410_9d7e7778ef_h.jpg

29502889275_578e05043c_h.jpg

29502908635_114c03c272_h.jpg

29502904135_b1b54fdc43_h.jpg

28880633183_7271dc105a_h.jpg

29502816025_30aa13b8b6_h.jpg

28880590123_37583e5b42_h.jpg

29422683081_4c775b3b16_h.jpg

28880538593_dd35259d24_h.jpg

29213668990_c37006c703_h.jpg

I am at a lost some what why is there a tunnel being built under Eglinton at right angle other than have TTC northbound 112 bus gain access to the terminal as well having buses get back onto Eglinton Ave eastbound. If its for getting back onto Eglinton, why not do it on an angle?
28880538593_dd35259d24_h.jpg

29213668990_c37006c703_h.jpg

That is curious. I'd wonder if it had have anything to do with the Crosstown West, but it's supposed to cross the 401 at Orbitor. That was the original plan anyway, and I doubt they have finalized any tweaks to the original EA.

It has nothing to do with the Crosstown LRT, going east the mainline BRT will cross under Renforth where it will then split in two. Eastbound the line veers south and crosses Eglinton where it will then veer east and feed BRT traffic onto Eglinton east of the Matheson intersection. Westbound buses will merge onto the BRT on the northside of Eglinton, just east of Matheson where they will cross under Matheson and join the mainline BRT just east of Renforth.

There used to be a PIC pdf online showing the layout of the underpasses and access roads, it no longer appears to be online unfortunately. All of the work that is being done appears to be consistent with those PIC slides.

Back