248     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Downtown Markham

The Pride of Canada carousel is scheduled to open in July:
https://twitter.com/downtownmarkham/status/733458146417483776?s=09

I pulled back the screen to take a peek yesterday. Even from seeing pictures of it previously, I wish they had gone with a more traditional carousel look. The reclaimed material/junkyard look isn't my cup of tea; however the details are supposed to be pretty amazing. It being solar powered is pretty awesome.

Spoiler alert, but in case anyone's interested: http://www.patrickamiot.com/carrousel/

Last edited:
Yeah, I feel the same way Sam, though I'm guardedly optimistic that it will turn out better than my initial impressions. The figure outside the DTM sales office and some of pieces I've saw through the drapes look fun. I think the my enthusiasm was initially tempered because I compared it against Jane's Carousel in Brooklyn, but that's just not a fair comp. Jane's was a 20-30 year hobby project costing millions of dollars and a fanatical devotion by its creator to scour the US for antique carousel pieces. There's a 15-20 minute video on YouTube of the restoration process.

I'm puzzled at why they didn't run the glass enclosure to the roof. The exterior water area and adjacent building look pretty good to me.

Last edited:
Looks like downtown Markham has a chance to turn out to be the best planned suburb outside of Toronto; I don't think VCC will achieve this from the plans I've seen; Already has relatively interesting retail for a suburb. Should only get a lot better with more office / residential and a ton more retail.

I wish the shopps at Don Mills took a similar approach; Mind you offices wouldn't work in that location (not to the degree they would here) but denser residential with retail underneath .. would

Yeah, I noticed the peeling as well. I guess the area's too open and allows for strong wind.

Other updates of note for the area:
- Kiu is now open. I have to go give it a try.
- Carousel components are trickling in. They've also pushed back the fence to complete the brickwork to the curb.
- Raw-More looks like it's just about ready for clients as well.

whats kiu?

whats kiu?
Kiu's the Japanese restaurant by the theatre, right beside the Goodlife on the 2nd floor.

I didn't realize that space was for a Carousel!
Yep. The fountain will also double as a skating rink in the winter.

More retail stuff:
- Go for Tea looks to be about ready for their grand opening any day now.
- Building permit's up for Curry's, though it's still pretty empty. (Beside Golf Town) Pretty big space for an art store.
- Another retail space under renovation in the space beside Aroma, no name listed though.
- Window decal went up for a dry cleaner at the Nexus. I'm going to use the hell out of that place when it opens.

Kiu's the Japanese restaurant by the theatre, right beside the Goodlife on the 2nd floor.

Yep. The fountain will also double as a skating rink in the winter.

More retail stuff:
- Go for Tea looks to be about ready for their grand opening any day now.
- Building permit's up for Curry's, though it's still pretty empty. (Beside Golf Town) Pretty big space for an art store.
- Another retail space under renovation in the space beside Aroma, no name listed though.
- Window decal went up for a dry cleaner at the Nexus. I'm going to use the hell out of that place when it opens.

I was inside Go For Tea this past weekend. I havent been to one in almost 10+ years but this one @ Downtown Markham was really nice.

It was dark and calming, reminded me of a trendy fusion resto!

Mission accomplished I guess! :D

FYI grand opening of the carousel is set for July 1. I'm sure the crowd will be a bit of a nightmare.

More retail stuff:

Took a quick peek through the glass; had a really nice wood-accented ceiling, making me think either a restaurant or a spa.

Aviva workers seem to be moving in now; a few floors of the office building look to be occupied, and I also saw a couple people walking to the restaurants for lunch.

13516628_1094602167263834_2060280198628749484_n.jpg

How much of the planned development in this area is expected to happen in the near future? It would be good to get a critical mass of people here.

Back