Toronto The Globe and Mail Centre | 83.21m | 17s | First Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

Taken yesterday from the PATH @ the Harbour Plaza site:
2016-02-13 16.56.40.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-02-13 16.56.40.jpg
    2016-02-13 16.56.40.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 1,274
Razz's last photo shows really well how totally out of scale this building is with the surrounding area. But oh well, whatever. The bigger the better on Urban Toronto.

Yes, the building dominates. But seeing as how beautifully it's turning out, I don't see this as a bad thing. I don't see it as being woefully "out of scale." And I can only agree with Miscreant - it's likely not going to seem quite so gargantuan and domineering in a decade's time.

Im sorry, although its a nice looking building. this structure looks odd and out of proportion for this area:eek:,

As others have pointed out recently, Miscreant and Lenser in particular, it will not be long before other so called “tall” buildings infiltrate this sleepy low rise east end neighbourhood. At 19 floors (including its 2 storey penthouse) the Globe & Mail office building is roughly equivalent to a 24 storey residential condo tower (i.e. an office floor being 12 feet clear height vs. 9 feet in a typical residential condo building). Looking around at just a smattering of the most recent residential condo tower applications in this vicinity, you have:

1. The East United Condos (e/s of Parliament St., n of Adelaide St. E.) under site prep now for a 21-storey condo building.

2. Great Gulf’s 48 Power Street site (nec of Parliament and Adelaide) is presently under application for two (connected) 22 storey residential towers.

3. Pemberton’s application currently before the OMB for 4 condo towers of 25, 27 29 & 33 storeys respectively on the block bounded by Front, Sherbourne, Princess and Esplanade.

4. Cityzen’s project at 158 Front Street East (nwc of Sherbourne & Front) which will have two x 26-storey residential towers.

5. Greenpark Homes and Fieldgate Developments’ 21-storey condo project (Axiom) on Adelaide St. East at Ontario Street.

6. Brad Lamb’s 25-storey condo tower proposal at 53 Ontario Street.

7. Bresler’s condo site immediately north of the Parliament Street data center is already designated under the West Don Lands precinct plan for a 24 storey residential tower.

8. The Staples site (Greenpark Homes) immediately east of the G&M Centre will undoubtedly be seeking at least 21 storeys when it comes to market in the next few years.

9. Not to mention significantly taller buildings (34 to 50+ storeys are being planned nearby in the Distillery and also at Lakeshore & Cherry/Parliament.

So when you consider what has previously been approved, and what is currently in the application pipeline, with other similar 21 to 25 storey residential buildings to follow in the not too distant future, one can safely conclude that the cityscape in this part of town a decade from now will look radically different than it does now, and the height of the Globe & Mail Centre will be longer even be a topic of discussion. While I do share your views on massing and disproportionality, I am also a realist, and I’ve grown to accept the inevitable and admire beautifully designed buildings for what they are, and the G&M Centre certainly falls into that category. On balance, I feel the neighbourhood is enhanced by the addition of this building.

Back