News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 350     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

Our police offers have a massive trust deficit with the community.

Sloly is a perfect example - going against the grain of the TPS fold, you will lose. You will be bullied, ostracized, cast off as a traitor and forced into retirement. If we had a mayor who came aboard and said his priority is reforming the TPS, then you can bet his career will face certain 'difficulties'. Cops are basically an organized publicly-approved mafia. All that matters is their benefits, pay and not making any changes. Anyone who dares question it will face the wrath of said mafia.

Now I'm not saying the entire force is like this, but I have had my fair share of witnessing the corruption of the police force (through friends and family) that I no longer feel I can trust them for my safety.

There's a reason nobody seems to be able to slay the beast that is TPS - they are far too powerful and willing to make your life hell.

Oh yeah, well the police is getting too expensive for Toronto taxpayers. Time for a budget cut already, along with a new mayor who has the spine to do it.

Until very recently you got elected (in part) by promising increased police budgets. I'm not sure the public is ready to see even 10% of the force laid off.

So, Joe Warmington and Mike McCormack are scheming to ruin the NBA All-Star Weekend with their whining about the Muzik shooting.

So, Joe Warmington and Mike McCormack are scheming to ruin the NBA All-Star Weekend with their whining about the Muzik shooting.
Mike M. wants Tory to officially award him with the key to the City since he's already got the one to the Treasury.

If zero net is good enough for the province in bargaining with teachers' unions, why can't Council apply the principle to the police budget? It would give Tory and the force an incentive to actually deliver on the cost-saving reforms they've promised.

Until very recently you got elected (in part) by promising increased police budgets. I'm not sure the public is ready to see even 10% of the force laid off.

Would the general public even known if it was?

If zero net is good enough for the province in bargaining with teachers' unions, why can't Council apply the principle to the police budget? It would give Tory and the force an incentive to actually deliver on the cost-saving reforms they've promised.

Exactly. It's funny how the argument that "they will cut where you don't want them to cut" get trotted out as an excuse.

AoD

so its not surprising he is representing the police
Those police budget motions were presented by Michael Thompson who prefaced them by talking about how long and impossible it has been to get any curbs on TPS increases. It was almost as if he was testing council by including the last motion to do something, sometime to give them something that would be pretty hard to vote against. He informed them that nobody got a line by line breakdown of the TPS budget, so true, the cops would decide what they'd cut, like maybe their public safety outreach programs. Most of the councillors spoke of their confidence in the force, unlike a lot of their constituents. Tory's position, representing his 1%er constituents, has no problem with a heavy handed force which, when they're not at their charity galas, wants cops to keep a lid on in Canada's Child Poverty capital.

It was Tory who got Mukherjee (?) and Thomson off TPSB so he could elevate his friend Pringle to Chair and put himself on the Board as an indication of how serious he was (after his carding flip-flop) about policing in this city. Now he's going to let Wynne do her review of policing in the province to get the credit/take the blame for transforming (not "reforming") the system.

Would the general public even known if it was?

Almost certainly not from personal observations. The press is bound to publish something on the matter and they'd find out that way; same way they find out about new police hirings too.

Back