News   Apr 19, 2024
 157     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 561     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

2014 Ontario Provincial Election

No, I mean in terms of how electable the PC's are right now. I know we are three years away from an election, but I just don't see Patrick Brown as someone who can win over the province.
The next election in 2018, its not 3 years away, Come June 2016 it will be 2 years since the last eelction

Sorry, I got my timing wrong. I am still not sure how Brown would resonate with voters other than not being Kathleen Wynne.

I think Brown is taking good first steps. As for that poll, it's good news for him, obviously, but should be taken with a grain of salt two years before the next election. Polls in 2012, two years before the last election, had Hudak well ahead of Wynne.

Yes, this is an interesting move to the middle for the party. No more firing 100,000 people or busting unions. They really do have a centrist appeal now.

Let's not all be premature. I'd like to see some policy positions or a platform before we rush to call them centrist. Brown is certainly trying to make the party more inclusive, and is making noise (a lot of noise, given his recent statements on carbon pricing) that he wants to move the party towards the centre, possible adopting some of the more pragmatic conservatism of the Davis years. But the devil will certainly be in the details.

It's nice that Brown marched in the Pride parade and all, but I won't personally be rushing to erase the social conservative label he has until, for example, I see how the PC positions on the sex-ed curriculum and GSAs evolve (if they evolve at all).

Let's not all be premature. I'd like to see some policy positions or a platform before we rush to call them centrist. Brown is certainly trying to make the party more inclusive, and is making noise (a lot of noise, given his recent statements on carbon pricing) that he wants to move the party towards the centre, possible adopting some of the more pragmatic conservatism of the Davis years. But the devil will certainly be in the details.

It's nice that Brown marched in the Pride parade and all, but I won't personally be rushing to erase the social conservative label he has until, for example, I see how the PC positions on the sex-ed curriculum and GSAs evolve (if they evolve at all).

I'm also skeptical of this change, but I don't see what choice he has? The party's base is at the older end of the scale that might not be there in two years, not alone in ten years, add on top that its majority is made up of wealthy, uneducated and men, and you can be easily describing any atypical Republican voter who is propelling he who shall not be named in the polls down south; so he might want to start shifting the party's base before it becomes an unworkable embarrassment.

Back