News   Apr 19, 2024
 433     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.4K     2 

What's with all the anxiety in today's youth?

IMO, it's about setting foundational thinking, not lifetime barriers. And by post-secondary they're adults, likely away from home, and can do what they please. You have to let them go, and trust you've done your best.

Don't forget Xenials (those who hover between Gen X and Millennials - maybe 35 to 40ish) and millennials (older ones - those who are already in their 30s) didn't exactly have super-overscheduled lives when they were growing up in the 80s and 1990s. However, many of US have anxiety issues, too.

I don't use social media much (except for message boards such as UT, as well as editing Toronto-related Wikipedia articles (and definitely staying away from contentious Wikipedia articles)).

I just want to get away from potentially toxic communities.

But it's impossible in some lines of work (digital marketing or PR, for example).

But it's impossible in some lines of work (digital marketing or PR, for example).
I work for a large e-com B2C firm, and with social media reporting to me. So, I have to be on social, but I only do it for work. Until I took this job I did not have a Twitter or Instagram account, and my personal Facebook page is essentially just a few family members, so I use the corporate Facebook account. I feel I'm very connected with my customers and sufficiently guiding any conversations about my brand and its overall identity via this amount of connectivity. The trick is to enforce an absolute separation of your work social media and your personal social media, the latter of which I have almost no need or want of.

I think anxiety and neurosis have always existed, at least in the 20th century. Reading Freud's early work paints quite a clear picture of that.

As far as machismo disappearing, I think that is a load of horse-sh*t.

The single largest source of anxiety for me was growing up (white, eastern european male) in a feminist environment. The brute reality of growing up male is violence on the outside and aggression on the inside, with the predominant culture providing absolutely nothing short of constant condemnation of my efforts to defend myself or to acknowledge (in at least a neutral manner) the natural aggression that I developed as a consequence.

The single largest source of anxiety for me was growing up (white, eastern european male) in a feminist environment. The brute reality of growing up male is violence on the outside and aggression on the inside, with the predominant culture providing absolutely nothing short of constant condemnation of my efforts to defend myself or to acknowledge (in at least a neutral manner) the natural aggression that I developed as a consequence.

Females are the gatherers, males are the hunters. That is how human males survived and passed on their genes and evolved over tens of thousands of years in hunter-gatherers societies: through violence, through murder. Look at any homicide today, most likely both victim and perpetrator are males. The human male is innately violent and aggressive, that is our nature.

That wasn't really what I was talking about when I mentioned "machismo" though.

In any case, violent crime has decreased dramatically in most places today compared to Admiral Beez's grandfathers' days. Even if the level of violence was an indiciator of machismo, it would indicate that machismo is declining.

This reminded me of a female friend a few years ago. She was single, pretty cute, and I recall her exclaiming her frustration in finding any real men. She said she wanted a guy who was tough, strong, independent, employed and self confident and, um, likes to satisfy a girl. She said she was tired of man-child guys in their 30s living in their mom's basements, tired of men who want to weep, share and talk. She said she doesn't want a BFF with a dick. I challenged her that the extreme of that is violent misogyny, to which she challenged that wanting a strong guy wasn't the same thing. She said watch Amy Winehouse's Stronger Than Me, for a summary of what she wants.

The single largest source of anxiety for me was growing up (white, eastern european male) in a feminist environment.
As a white, UK-born European male I have to wonder if eastern european is different, as I still don't get Putin's need for demonstrations of bravado.

However we're on a tageant. It's youth, under 13-18 I'm asking about.

Last edited:
Perfectly put, Admiral Beez, and the music video is on point, though that truth is far from self-evident to those of us who've had to rely on the prevailing culture for a sense of moral guidance.

I wouldn't know if these are net new sources of anxiety for youth 13-18 these days, but here are some observations:

1. While discrepancies between rich and poor have always existed, the media currently glorifies a version of upward social mobility characterized by fast, explosive achievement. This sort of stuff has been around in one form or another since the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" laissez faire attitudes of the last century, but I would argue that the level of media consumption now sits at unprecedented levels.

2. Staying on the subject of media, a content analysis will reveal that the news (reality) are predominantly negative, while advertising, movies and sit-coms (fiction) are often ecstatically positive. I would argue that such a content mix will encourage a sub-set of viewers to live out passive lives of fictional indulgence. Lack of activity, lack of perceived personal power and a sense of frustration, dissatisfaction and anxiety go hand in hand.

3. Thanks to social media, charismatic teenagers are capable of forming vast social networks that span multiple states / countries. The magnitude of the traditional popularity contest has grown exponentially, from the confines of a single high-school building to basically the entire nation.

4. It has been well documented that people become happier and more confident as they grow older, primarily thanks to having scored certain victories and having successfully mitigated certain failures. Youth have all sorts of challenges ahead of them and have yet to accomplish major (often difficult) developmental breakthroughs. I feel that our adult attitudes to this otherwise natural state of affairs have shifted. We are quick to prescribe medication, assign counselling, and intervene when perhaps such interventions are doing more harm than good.

Last edited:
For #1, electronics are the new fashion, especially for males. Apple brands itself as an upscale electronics company.

For #2, a large number of popular video games are dark and/or cynical in nature (excluding those published by Nintendo, as well as casual games). Yes, video gaming is among the top forms of entertainment for young people. Good luck finding a Canadian-born teenage male not familiar with any video game.

For #3, social media (or dare I say antisocial media) is an outlet for narcissists to become famous not just nationwide, but worldwide, as well as those with extreme views to broadcast them worldwide. Before then, those with extreme views had to keep themselves shut.

For #4, finding a stable job and maintaining it within the first few years is actually the hardest part of life.

Reactions: Rod
Further to my comment a few days ago about not being good enough anymore due to social media and my example of just merely solving a Rubik's Cube these days is no longer deemed impressive unless you can also do it in record time, we're seeing this trend in various other aspects of the younger generation's lives.

Think about video games. In the past, kids played video games. Occasionally, there'd be local tournaments where the best in the city would compete against each other. Nowadays, I see kids that don't even bother playing the video games anymore. Instead, they watch others on YouTube, who are the best in the world, play video games at a level most gamers admittedly will never achieve.

Kids used to blog about events and comment about other online videos. Now, that's not even good enough. There are top-rated bloggers now who comment about other YouTube videos and who have millions of subscribers. Think about it. People used to actively blog and share their thoughts about what they see. Now, people watch people blog about other people doing stuff in videos!

It almost seems as though unless you are the best of the best, you are just another follower. Now that, to me, is reason to have anxiety.

This is fascinating stuff. I took 2 weeks to solve a single side of a rubik's cube when I first gave it a shot. I still don't think I could solve one now. I thought nothing about it at the time and it has never occurred to me, but I really think that we're on to something here. This conversation is creating some harder contours around an issue that I've only vaguely felt before.

Could this perhaps be the reason why helicopter parents (who are often criticized for doing so, by the way) have come to praise effort for effort's sake? Give awards just for participating, just for moving out of one's seat? Could they simply be responding to a situation whereby the prospect of actually competing is a daunting and discouraging proposition from the start?

I think the primary cause of anxiety being more prevalent is the rise of individualism.

Not only does success as an individual cause anxiety but many paths to success REQUIRE anxiety. Wait what?

Historically, many people of a certain character type found happiness in conformity to the place that was designated to them in the social structure be it religious, as family member, as worker, as social cast etc. But then people who don't feel the same way came along and dissolved the old order creating personal freedom and other such things.

In the new individual boundless world those who thrive are not those who are psychologically balanced but those who walk the fine line between balance and imbalance. The balanced folk could still be happy in their rigid boxes except that is not how the mind works. The cat got out of the bag, when others thrive and we do not it makes us feel unhappy.

So now we have an elite of imbalanced thriving individuals that are driven to success by their anxieties and a group of not thriving balanced conformists that are not happy and anxious about their failings relative to others.

P.S. I have mild anxiety disorder and it is definitely one component of my personality that is responsible for many of my successes.

I think the primary cause of anxiety being more prevalent is the rise of individualism..
I disagree. It is the decline of individualism that's the problem. We all want to be the same, aim to be welcomed or admired by our peers.

What kept me from falling into anxiety's trap growing up in the 1970s to early 1990s (born 1971, aged 20 by 1991) was that I didn't care what others thought. I wanted security and independence, and saw business as my way to that end.

I'm curious Admiral why you believe individualism is in decline because I would find that thesis hard to argue?

Also, my comment was designed to question the premise that anxiety is bad. What I mean is that anxiety can be bad and out of control but it also forms one of our core motivation systems. It's just not true that psychologically balanced people thrive in this world. In your business dealings I am sure you have recognized that many successful business people and most of the highly successful business people for instance suffer from childhood trauma, depression including manic-depression, anxiety disorder, psychopathy etc. even if they don't outwardly project this.

Back