News   Apr 25, 2024
 64     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 283     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 489     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The lack of RER coming to Milton just convinces me even further that Line 2 should extended to MCC.
At what arm and leg cost?? More like do we tax all of Canada to fund this white elephant as it will be worse than the current one on Sheppard.

Far cheaper to run a Tram-Train to MCC than a subway as well getting there sooner. Could be done in time for the opening on the Hurontario LRT>

If Metrolinx gets off its ass and built the 4 tracks that are needed as well Wynn living up to her election platform for 2014, the line will be up and running by 2022. Given this is the 2nd busy line, it needs to be upgrade as it was supposed to be in 2011.

Then CP needs to think about getting on board as it will benefit then big time also.

The lack of RER coming to Milton just convinces me even further that Line 2 should extended to MCC.

So your solution to an expensive project not being funded is to propose one that's 5 times the price and hope it does get funding? Normally that strategy hasn't worked well; see Yonge extension which probably would have had BRT in place by now, and the subway option actually has a reasonable business case.

A more successful strategy (recently in Scarborough at least) has been to get funding for a cheap option then ask for a bit more for an upgrade. Repeat until you are promised the world; we'll see what actually gets constructed.

Last edited:
Transit Open House - Mississauga Airport Corporate Centre

Feb 05, 2016

Information regarding SmartTrack and Regional Express Rail transit proposals will be featured at an open house on February 23.

When:
Tuesday, February 23, 2016
2 to 4 p.m.

Where:TownePlace Suites by Marriott Mississauga
5050 Orbitor Drive at Eglinton Avenue
Mississauga, Ontario

The City of Toronto, in coordination with Metrolinx, the Ontario Provincial Government agency responsible for implementing and integrating regional transit in the Greater Toronto Area, are working on the SmartTrack Western Corridor Feasibility Study. This study is looking at the proposed SmartTrack branch running between Mt. Dennis Station and the Mississauga Airport Corporate Centre.

Public meetings and open houses are being held in the Greater Toronto Area on these transit initiatives to collect input and share information.

For more information please visit
Regional Express Rail: www.metrolinx.com/rer
SmartTrack: www.toronto.ca/smarttrack
I thought it was off the table (SmartTrack going west on Eglinton) and it would be continuation of Crosstown. If and if ever there is SmartTrack it would stop at Mt Dennis (for the first phases anyways)

I wonder how much cheaper West Toronto Diamond could have been if missing link had been built first...

I wonder how much cheaper West Toronto Diamond could have been if missing link had been built first...
The same cost as today.

You would still have to deal the the GO Crosstown line once it was in service to the point it could be there now under this so call Missing Link.

The same cost as today.

You would still have to deal the the GO Crosstown line once it was in service to the point it could be there now under this so call Missing Link.
Yeah but GO (Midtown) could have waited. WTD had to deal with CP cross diamond traffic during construction. There might also have been a possibility of raising the grade of the east-west track a bit so the dip under for UPX/Kitchener might not have to go so deep.

Yeah but GO (Midtown) could have waited. WTD had to deal with CP cross diamond traffic during construction. There might also have been a possibility of raising the grade of the east-west track a bit so the dip under for UPX/Kitchener might not have to go so deep.
Nope:!!

Unless CP gives up the Mactire Sub, tracks would have to be level due to the grade crossing and the sub. There is no saving one way or another for this area.

In fact, the dip is not as deep as it should be for electrification and why the supports will be on top, not the bottom. Even if you raise that dip, the saving would be less than $50m at best.

As I have stated in the past, there is no Missing Link, just something someone who came up with a plan to not to spend money and force service onto someone else. Also to move dangerous good out of their city, but still want the use of them in finish products.

I had thought MacTier near WTD would be redundant in a GO Midtown/Missing Link scenario. Where is the traffic going if both east and west routes are now passenger routes.

As I have stated in the past, there is no Missing Link, just something someone who came up with a plan to not to spend money and force service onto someone else. Also to move dangerous good out of their city, but still want the use of them in finish products.
Now this part I agree with. But what's UT Forums without some pointless what-ifery?

Update on Burlington GO Station. Still little visible progress. Holes have been dug wider. Materials in the new station have been shuffled around. That's all.

After three years: the roof of the new station building is still not done; the new bus loop is still not done, the new tunnel access is still not done.

Drum118 is correct that the new condo tower adjacent to the station will be complete first, despite the first shovels in the ground on that project occurring 18 months later.

The Burlington GO Station construction is definitely in the Top 3 of the Most Pathetic projects i've ever seen in my life. I have no idea how Bondfield continues to get away with this non-sense, but congrats to them however they're doing it

Update on Burlington GO Station. Still little visible progress. Holes have been dug wider. Materials in the new station have been shuffled around. That's all.

After three years: the roof of the new station building is still not done; the new bus loop is still not done, the new tunnel access is still not done.

Drum118 is correct that the new condo tower adjacent to the station will be complete first, despite the first shovels in the ground on that project occurring 18 months later.

I live on the Barrie line, and I have to say that this bungling of Burlington GO has made me very nervous for the upcoming reconstruction of most/all of our line's stations in the next few years ahead of AD2W/RER (most/all of our stations are currently 1-track, 1-platform, no pedestrian underpass, etc). That's a major undertaking if done perfectly, I hope this incredible lack of progress and communication doesn't get duplicated here...but I'm not hopeful.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see what the original project schedule for Burlington Station was, and how much schedule slip there's been. I very much doubt that the delays could be attributed to scope creep.

It would be interesting to see what the original project schedule for Burlington Station was, and how much schedule slip there's been. I very much doubt that the delays could be attributed to scope creep.

There's no scope creep. The original contractor cut and ran from the project once they realized that they weren't going to make enough (or any) money on the project.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There's no scope creep. The original contractor cut and ran from the project once they realized that they weren't going to make enough (or any) money on the project.
If that was a TTC contract, they'd be sued to the highest court in the land, until they paid TTC the difference between what they bid, and what it will cost to build. Is GO Transit wishy-washy on contracts then?

If that was a TTC contract, they'd be sued to the highest court in the land, until they paid TTC the difference between what they bid, and what it will cost to build. Is GO Transit wishy-washy on contracts then?

My understanding is that Metrolinx has gone after the contractor through legal channels, and has banned them from bidding on future projects for some amount of time.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back