869     0 

East York-Old East York

My favourite "Then & Now" of East York:

Pape_2.jpg

Attachments

• Pape_2.jpg
    Pape_2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,477
Chicago Eatery finally opened this weekend.

I finally tried Chicago Eatery today. Good food, no beer (?), and we were there for an hour and were the only patrons in the entire time. I'm not sure how busy it is on weekends but if they have a lot of days like today, I don't see them staying in business too long.

Red Castle, a Middle Eastern fast food place, is now open at 531 Danforth, the former Menchies frozen yogurt location. I happened in on their opening day, and although their service was rather disorganized, the falafel I had was very good, certainly the best of what is otherwise poor options in the neighbourhood. It looks like they have a lot of kinks to work out before they're running smoothly, but I think they're a good addition to the area.

Eh, there's still the Yogurty's near Logan. And there's ice cream at Baskin-Robbins, and gelato at Dolce Gelato, and of course various frozen desserts at Caffe Demetre...

The area is not wanting for frozen dairy treats. It is perhaps amazing that Menchies lasted as long as it did.

Yeah, what Tulse said.

As this is not East York, this is probably not the best thread for Danforth-related items, which typically fall in the Riverdale or East Danforth threads, depending on which section of the street it is.

Last edited:
The Estonian House deal with Tribute communities to build a 24-storey condo at 958 Broadview has collapsed. Apparently, another developer is on board.

Also, the one-time car dealership turned Mormon Church at Broadview north of Sobey's was recently sold for $13.5 million. Highrises? Towns? Lowrises? I think that spot can take maybe 40 or more very very luxurious $1.5m townhouses and still rake in a healthy profit with minimal grief from city planners, the community and other people bound to object.

This property (1099? Broadview) has been sold and fenced off.

Any idea on plans?
Screenshot_2015-11-28-16-57-56.png
Screenshot_2015-11-28-16-58-07.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-28-16-57-56.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-28-16-57-56.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 748
  • Screenshot_2015-11-28-16-58-07.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-28-16-58-07.png
    2 MB · Views: 751
That's the former Mormon Church mentioned by Ex-Montreal Girl (above):

Also, the one-time car dealership turned Mormon Church at Broadview north of Sobey's was recently sold for $13.5 million. Highrises? Towns? Lowrises? I think that spot can take maybe 40 or more very very luxurious $1.5m townhouses and still rake in a healthy profit with minimal grief from city planners, the community and other people bound to object.

It's been zoned as commercial-residential but, best I can tell, it will fall under the city's hoped-for new plans for nothing taller than midrise development.

As I already noted (thanks Goldie!), it's a great location, ripe for rich housing. With Playter Estates semis going for $1.4 and beyond, I hope no greedhead developer gets the crazy idea of building ugly cookie cutter glass towers there.

Anyway, maybe one of you gentlemen can decipher the zoning maps here (PDF) better than I can.

I could see the church site becoming a Keesmaat-championed mid-rise building. The road kind of fits the avenue description to some extent. Lack of precedent may hurt height, but if they can put 8 floors at Millwood and Laird, this sure fits the bill.

It looks like the Leslieville Cheese location on Donlands closed. I was driving by so didn't get a good look but the location has been removed from their website. I'm really not sure how they kept that location open so long.

Back