News   Apr 25, 2024
 144     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Any Canadian-owned chains of coffee shops?

Balzac's is a real success story. Opening in the Distillery District when they were the only thing there, and now they have 11 locations (if you count their counter at the UP Express terminal).
I think they started in Stratford, but that The Distillery was their first foray in Toronto.

The Rooster Coffee House just opened their third location at Jarvis and Charles today. So I guess that makes them a mini chain. The original on Broadview is the best, and they did a great job with the one in the former Toronto Sun building on King East, though like Yogi Berra I never go there anymore because it's too busy.

Sam James has also crafted out a mini-empire in Toronto, four locations. Used to be five until the one at Ossingon/Queen closed to make way for Shingle, but I expect he'll expand again soon.

This news is a bit old now, but Vancouver coffee chain Caffe Artigiano's attempt to break into Toronto didn't last long. I tried them a few times but the location on Yonge was awkward (I walked past the entrance by mistake several times even when I knew it was there) and the coffee honestly didn't seem that exceptional.

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2016/02/popular_vancouver_coffee_chain_retreats_from_toronto

Surprised they didn't publish this until early February. I think it was gone by Christmas 2015.

I vaguely remember seeing a coffee shop called AGYP or something down on Kings ST. Can anyone confirm?

Surely Robin's Donuts would be at the top of the list. It's the one you see all over the country in every small town - well except perhaps SW Ontario and Quebec.
They still exist? Haven't seen in one in years. At least in such Canadian small towns as Revelstoke, Golden, Osoyoos, Canmore, Tremblant, Sutton, Port Hope, Paris, Parry Sound, Okotoks, etc.

Or maybe I just don't notice them because I'm a snob. I thought they were dead, really.

There's a small chain of Thor-themed cafes in Toronto. I was silly enough to think a brand based on Scandinavian mythology would actually sell Scandinavian style products, but it's all Asian. They even have a viking theme evenings with Korean food :)

Back