Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

By contrast the North West entrance is doors, set of stairs, food court, doors, corridor full of slow people, and another set of doors.

That corridor (pedestrian tunnel) full of slow people is actually pretty cool in that when they redid the tile floors they put in chevrons to signal people to walk on the right hand side,.... but it sucks because there are small set of stairs on both ends making it not handicap accessible.

That corridor (pedestrian tunnel) full of slow people is actually pretty cool in that when they redid the tile floors they put in chevrons to signal people to walk on the right hand side,.... but it sucks because there are small set of stairs on both ends making it not handicap accessible.

The worst part of that is that the only accessible station entrance (the south one) is unmanned. So, if someone in a wheelchair buys a day pass, or the token machines are broken or jammed (which I've seen on more than one occasion), they can't get in. It wouldn't kill them to put in a ramp through that tunnel.

The worst part of that is that the only accessible station entrance (the south one) is unmanned. So, if someone in a wheelchair buys a day pass, or the token machines are broken or jammed (which I've seen on more than one occasion), they can't get in. It wouldn't kill them to put in a ramp through that tunnel.

For someone in a wheelchair who can't get into an accessible entrance due to broken token machines,... try using the intercom to notifiy the collector - some of the nicer ones will buzz them through (unlock one of the remote control doors).

With all the accessibility guidelines these days, the new Eglinton Crosstown station at Yonge (entrance will be along Eglinton - thus close to the problem point mentioned) will be built fully accessible. VS the old Eglinton subway station built in early 1950s and only recently retrofited with the southern accessibility entrance and elevator to subway platform on south end of platform.

It's better, but only because something is there. The addition itself is very weirdly separated from the main building -- there's no direct entrance to it from the main building on the ground floor, and it seems like there really isn't anything publicly accessible on the ground floor of the addition. It's like it's a barnacle that has happened to become attached to the pre-existing structure, without actually integrating into it.

But yeah, I'll take it (and the somewhat sheltered patio area on the east side) to the vast windswept expanse of emptiness that it replaced.

December 1st update:

IMG_20151201_082529.jpg
IMG_20151201_082543.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151201_082529.jpg
    IMG_20151201_082529.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 1,687
  • IMG_20151201_082543.jpg
    IMG_20151201_082543.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,684
This may be a strange comment, but I think that having the Cineplex and Winners signs behind the windows causes the façade to "lack texture" and makes it appear more monumental.

Not officially open yet, but I managed to get a few shots of the roof area

IMG_1593.jpg
IMG_1594.jpg
IMG_1595.jpg
IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1581.jpg
    IMG_1581.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg