News   Apr 25, 2024
 236     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 770     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 797     0 

Old City Hall Proposals

The public realm around old city hall, as well as Queen & Bay, is in serious need of improvement.

23290309665_7dc6a7d681_h.jpg

22922381889_c2c141b37f_h.jpg

22922377909_3b068d3729_h.jpg

Some of my suggestions:

- Remove the soil compacted lawns along Queen St & Bay St (actually, remove all of grass). They are embarrassingly messy and serve no aesthetic purpose. They degrade what should be a grand entrance to perhaps Toronto's most important piece of architecture.

- Replace paving treatment along the perimeter of the building with granite or some other form of stone/brick.

- Illuminate the entire building (including the roof of the clock tower) at night. The current lighting is underwhelming and doesn't encompass important details.

- Restore the grand staircase to its original design (as was mentioned above).

- Replace City street lights along building's perimeter with historic lighting. Perhaps modeled after the globe lights at the front entrance.

- Remove all overheard wires along Queen St (minus the ones for the streetcars).

- Incorporate fountains into the forecourt.

- Remove driveway.

- Replace disheveled looking trees (preferably with not too tall ones that will obscure the building too much).

- Replace shabby street sign poles with elegant black poles.

- Build a bust of Jimi Hendrix, depicting his 1969 Toronto mugshot and display it somewhere in the forecourt; or have carved into the building's stone exterior said depiction.

Jimihendrix1969mug.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_drug_charges_and_trial_of_Jimi_Hendrix

Besides the options which were mentioned in the survey, I wonder if the building could be used for lectures and concerts? And perhaps even a theatre (at least part of it)? I'm not very familiar with the interior, so I don't know if the latter two options would be practical.

Last edited:
Old City Hall had a cameo on Mr. Robot S02E07. Looks like 1968, as the Simpsons tower is nearing completion while TD Tower is still getting framed:

IMG_5204.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_5204.PNG
    IMG_5204.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 594
Last edited:
With all the talks about the future of the Old City Hall, why don't we make it a central library for the city? Reference Library is not particularly valuable from architectural perspective and can be sold for reasonable amounts, given its location. Old City Hall is perfect for a Central Library: its location, architecture and floorplans. We can even have a bright atrium at the place of the yard.

With all the talks about the future of the Old City Hall, why don't we make it a central library for the city? Reference Library is not particularly valuable from architectural perspective and can be sold for reasonable amounts, given its location. Old City Hall is perfect for a Central Library: its location, architecture and floorplans. We can even have a bright atrium at the place of the yard.

Museum/archives/City Hall branch + urban affairs library would be great. Maybe move planning there too?

AoD

Are there internal structural limits as to the amount of open/unstructured space that could be created inside? Libraries and museums need relatively large unobstructed open spaces.

I would like to see it as a tastefully restored hotel, but I don't know how feasible that is financially or business wise.

Given the way Council's brain trust operates, there's a decent chance the City will demolish it to build a Green P garage.

Back