News   Apr 18, 2024
 597     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

2015 Federal Election

I voted to continue with the number 1 economy in the G7.

I have a feeling that your (nice hair) logic will prevail over mine when the votes are counted.

yesterdays jobs numbers where so symbolic of the past 9 years.

Ontario looses 34,000 jobs.
Rest of Canada gains 46,000 jobs.

With Trudeau patterning his economic plan after the Ontario Liberals, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that we are heading towards tough times in this country if the polls are correct. No more #1 in the G7.

yesterdays jobs numbers where so symbolic of the past 9 years.

Ontario looses 34,000 jobs.
Rest of Canada gains 46,000 jobs.

With Trudeau patterning his economic plan after the Ontario Liberals, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that we are heading towards tough times in this country if the polls are correct. No more #1 in the G7.

Nice spin there BurlOak. Too bad the numbers don't show the full story.

Most of those 46,000 jobs are part time. That doesn't make up for the loss of full time positions throughout Canada. So yes, the numbers are symbolic of the past 9 years where Harper has been running the show, and part time work has become the backbone of job growth for this country. Precarious work isn't something to be proud of.

Also, Ontario has seen some of the largest job growth in the country every month except this one. We still have a lower unemployment rate than the national average. Also, most of our job losses over the past few months have been in part time work, which have been more than made up by growth in full time work.

So yes, If Trudeau is patterning his economic plan after the Ontario Liberals, which has seen the unemployment rate continue to drop while Harper's Alberta sees it increasing, I think the choice is clear.

As for being #1 in the G7... how are we number 1 now? The US, UK and Germany all beat us. We're #4. Quit believing everything your dear leader tells you. Here, ill even make it easy for you and use the exact same source you did, the OECD:

oecdgdpgrowth.png

Last edited:
Yeah....I'm not sure how how valid the information is given the official trade document hasn't been released yet, but from some simple google searches about leaked passages it looks like there's a lot in there that a lot of people won't like.

Wikileaks has leaked part of the TPP agreement, and it confirms that Canada caved on nasty Internet censorship provisions, including longer copyright terms and rules encouraging ISPs to block content.

I'm volunteering for a campaign in the Hamilton area, where I quickly learned that the niqab is not only a Quebec issue. Two residents I spoke to brought it up and were damn near frothing at the mouth.

As for being #1 in the G7... how are we number 1 now? The US, UK and Germany all beat us. We're #4. Quit believing everything your dear leader tells you. Here, ill even make it easy for you and use the exact same source you did, the OECD:

oecdgdpgrowth.png

What those numbers show me is we have done pretty well. There is always a danger in looking at one set of numbers covering a very short period of time and thinking that, somehow, one economy can work totally in isolation from the others.

The fact is that in the period coming out of the worst global recession since the great depression, Canada has had an economy that has done well.....very well when you compare to the other G7 countries.

Our average "rank" over that 8 year period you show is 2.38 (2 firsts, 3 seconds, a third and 2 fourths).....can't think of another 8 year period in my lifetime where Canada could say that relative to those other 6 economies.

Our average growth rate in that 8 year period is 1.72.....the average of the other 6 countries annual averages is .7.....we have, on average, over that 8 year period outperformed the others by over 1 point a year....in economic terms that is very very strong.....again, I can't think of another 8 year period where Canada has done that well on a relative basis.

Sure, as the others pull out of their long doldrums and a major component of our GDP is in a down period, we have "slipped" to 4th place.....but that too shall pass (as all good and bad things do) but treating 2015 in isolation as if we could do anything about it is a dangerous game.

Thanks for posting the table....it confirmed what I suspected....our economy over the past 7 or 8 years has been the best performer and I think we should be very proud of our economic record...and should seek to continue it.

Back