News   Apr 22, 2024
 774     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 662     0 

Cabbagetown

Oh please, he's a fifteen year kid and he's clearly traumatized, and your response is "he's a crybaby and he should have taken on a guy wielding a broken beer bottle"? Victim blame much? Jeez.

Kid would probably be floating in Lake Ontario right now if he took your advice.

Oh please, he's a fifteen year kid and he's clearly traumatized, and your response is "he's a crybaby and he should have taken on a guy wielding a broken beer bottle"? Victim blame much? Jeez.

Kid would probably be floating in Lake Ontario right now if he took your advice.

What are you on about? Is there a deleted post?

I would say that intersection is the margin of Cabbagetown at best. The apartment buildings SE of Gerrard/River are some of the worst in TCHC's portfolio (220 Oak St in particular is a shambles). Sounds like neither the perp nor victim lived in Cabbagetown, but were just passing eachother at a border..

Ok... You must be one of the older residents of Cabbagetown or possibly on the neighbourhood association.. I find your type to be really obsessed with the boundaries of Cabbagetown.

Also, while the teenagers story is a bit muddled he did post a google map link to here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6646...4!1sktS4PHLtiInPUPeOHKbWZw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 as the place where the attack occurred.... If he was originally at Riverdale Park and walked through the residential streets, then he most likely walked through the neighbourhood?

What are you on about? Is there a deleted post?
Yeah, Admiral Beez posted a truly nasty response taking the kid to task for crying and saying he should have fought his attacker like a MAN, etc. I guess he thought better of it and took it down. Or a mod spiked it. It was the kind of post that makes you despair for humanity.

Last edited:
I did delete my post, as I was admittedly emotionally driven over the top there - wanting to see the perp down and recalling my teen battles where crying during the fight wouldn't have saved me, though I damn well sobbed like a fountain once home I'm sure. Apologies to any I offended.

Last edited:
I was walking through Cabbagetown the other night, after hitting some dingers in Rivrdale Park with my brother and his friend. We came across a house that had upside down furniture on the the ceiling of their upper floor. Can anyone shed some light on this? I assume some sort of artist(s) live there?

Also, while the teenagers story is a bit muddled he did post a google map link to here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6646...4!1sktS4PHLtiInPUPeOHKbWZw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 as the place where the attack occurred.... If he was originally at Riverdale Park and walked through the residential streets, then he most likely walked through the neighbourhood?

My interpretation is that the boy was hanging out at Riverdale Park East in the Riverdale neighbourhood, then when going home he headed west along Gerrard over the Don. But instead of staying on Gerrard, he headed north on River so as to take Spruce to wherever he was going. It was here that he met his attacker.

Either way, if this story is true (sorry, I just have a hard time believing everything I read on the interwebs) then it's quite an event. Surprised the news hasn't picked up on it. And 7:30 is pretty damn early for something like this to happen.

My interpretation is that the boy was hanging out at Riverdale Park East in the Riverdale neighbourhood, then when going home he headed west along Gerrard over the Don. But instead of staying on Gerrard, he headed north on River so as to take Spruce to wherever he was going. It was here that he met his attacker.

Either way, if this story is true (sorry, I just have a hard time believing everything I read on the interwebs) then it's quite an event. Surprised the news hasn't picked up on it. And 7:30 is pretty damn early for something like this to happen.

The news has picked up on it. I heard an interview with the victim on Newstalk 1010 and they did multiple segments on it.

That's the way I read it too. So it happened at the very SE border of Cabbagetown, and not really inside it. As well, the perp likely tracked the boy as he went along Gerrard/River.

Oh.. yes! I read it again, and your interpretation seems accurate. I was thrown by the turning left on Gerrard bit. So he most likely was followed somewhere along Gerrard heading West!.. Reading comprehension -- I tell ya!

For the most part I feel safe on the residential streets of Cabbagetown. It's mostly Parliament and the "fringe" areas that I'm not too crazy about walking at night. Although, Parliament can be pretty crummy during the day too.

Thought I'd add a plug for new little business that has moved into Cabbagetown. At Gerrard & Berkeley (which is really South Cabbagetown, but only just), there's a new location of the Hastings Barber Shop from Leslieville. A cut is $26 (I give $30 inc. tip) and it's a pretty cool place. Great vibe. It's a bit hipper and younger than we would typically see in the 'hood. Recommend.
I've been there twice now, including last week and I also recommend the Hastings on Gerrard.

I've been there twice now, including last week and I also recommend the Hastings on Gerrard.

They do seem to be getting some traction - good for them.

Little Schmiddy's Hot Meat House (awful name, great food and experience) also seems to be doing well. I'm not so sure what's happening with the buildings north of the HoP, or the west stretch along Parliament N of Carlton.

I really would like a great dinner takeaway place on Parliament St.

Back