News   Apr 24, 2024
 337     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 750     1 

London, UK - May/June 2015

Wow! This series of photos is outstanding. Always excited when I see a new post in this thread.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Two shots (one colour, one black & white) of Paternoster Square, right across the street from St. Paul's Cathedral and also the home of the London Stock Exchange:

Paternoster Square
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Paternoster Square
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Another black & white shot, this time of the Admiralty Arch:

Admiralty Arch
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

A lot of those new infill buildings don't look much different from what gets built here. However, we don't normally see the attractive variations in brick colour.

Also, in that last photo, the road has a curve for traffic calming. I'd like to see our city look at alternatives to speed bumps for traffic calming like adding small twists and narrow points along roads. Speed bumps cause premature wear on shocks and brakes and cause drivers to waste fuel by having to accelerate between bumps.

It's nice to see my old SE London area getting some attention.

Great pics, BTW. I usually skip London entirely on my trips to the UK, but am planning to take the family next summer and will spend probably a week in the capital.

It's nice to see my old SE London area getting some attention.

Great pics, BTW. I usually skip London entirely on my trips to the UK, but am planning to take the family next summer and will spend probably a week in the capital.

Thanks! Wandering around southeast London was very enjoyable; spent a whole day trekking from Greenwich south to Lewisham, east to Kidbrooke and back up north to Woolwich. A great mix of old and new neighbourhoods and a wealth of cultures along the way.

Here's four shots of a sunset aboard the Emirates Air Line, a cable car spanning the Thames:

Emirates Air Line
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Emirates Air Line
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Emirates Air Line
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Emirates Air Line
by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Great pics. Here my old street https://goo.gl/maps/qOMW3 Killearn Rd, London SE6 1BN, UK

After living in leafy and tree-canopied Cabbagetown for 17 years now, one thing that always surprises me is the lack of any trees on these SE London row houses. If this was a Toronto street, you'd have big maples and oaks on nearly every open spot - a testament to Toronto's urban forestry program.

The houses are far too close to the sidewalks for large trees. They really don't have the boulevards that most Toronto streets have.

The houses are far too close to the sidewalks for large trees. They really don't have the boulevards that most Toronto streets have.

Montreal is interesting because their residential buildings are generally built close to the sidewalk, but they have trees planted along the sidewalks. Many residential streets have lush canopies, though the buildings are built almost up to the sidewalk. They have that metropolitan look of walk up apartments built close to the sidewalk, yet they also have lush street trees.

... it's also a factor of how close the sidewalks are to the roads. In the London case, you have housing that is tight to sidewalks that are tight to roads. There really isn't space for massive trees. There's a reason why in urban England they landscape more with hedges (that are compact and provide privacy) and flowering shrubs. Broader avenues and boulevards are a different story of course.

Back