News   Apr 16, 2024
 91     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

Toronto Eaton Centre

That corner very much looks like it could be made into an architecturally interesting store front. A 2 story glass and steel facade

So...kinda what was originally there?

At some point, I assume they will come to the conclusion that maintaining the complex as originally designed would have been the prudent idea.

Oh well, I remember in the late 70's when it was new and garnered worldwide attention. Now we get excited about LED lights.

When are they going to get rid of that ugly Urban Eatery sign!? It's not new anymore.

I was noticing that too. That sign is old and has made it darker in the atrium. Will be nice to get back some of that natural light. I suspect that the ad tower will see some renovating as part of this expansion. For example, they might as well turn those tri-face rotating signs into LEDs. If it's cheap enough for many downtown TTC stops to have replaced their back lit signs with big high resolution displays, they can do it at the busiest pedestrian intersection in the country.
Even if the ads on the LEDs are static print-like ads, there's no point keeping around such archaic advertising signage at such a prominent location.

Last edited:
Here's what I see happening (Pardon the quick Photoshop):

QAxraTI.jpg

Original photo by Kotsy

I like that idea but the available space doesn't go the full height. It's only 2 floors. Above that is SEARS' office space.

They could restore the round glass as shown in this photo up to the second floor and finish the remaining height in their signature grey aluminium cladding.

There's a gorgeous cylindrical Apple Store in Shanghai so there is a precedent for this kind of design:

233646-40-foot-high-glass-cylinder.jpg

Last edited:
Is it unofficially confirmed that the Apple Store is moving? The current space *IS* kinda small...

Is it unofficially confirmed that the Apple Store is moving? The current space *IS* kinda small...

The rumours I heard were that Apple would be moving to a new 2-storey space on the south side of the former Sears/Eatons (across from Roots). Uniqlo was going to have a 2-storey store on the north side - similar to MetroMan's mockup above, but just switch the locations.

I always thought it would be interesting if Apple had taken over the old Bank of Toronto at 205 Yonge across the street from Eaton Centre. I believe it's now going to be part of the Massey Tower project.

The rumours I heard were that Apple would be moving to a new 2-storey space on the south side of the former Sears/Eatons (across from Roots). Uniqlo was going to have a 2-storey store on the north side - similar to MetroMan's mockup above, but just switch the locations.

I always thought it would be interesting if Apple had taken over the old Bank of Toronto at 205 Yonge across the street from Eaton Centre. I believe it's now going to be part of the Massey Tower project.

Where Mercatto currently is?

Where Mercatto currently is?

No, the rumour was Apple would be on the southern portion of the Yonge Street side of the former Sears/Eatons, across from Roots. I think where Sears previously had the Land's End store. Whether it ends up being Apple or Uniqlo, we shall see!

Cadillac Fairview is adding CF to the beginning of their mall names and BlogTO is freaking out:

As part of Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited's corporate rebranding program, the Toronto Eaton Centre will soon be known as CF Toronto Eaton Centre. This move won't be relegated only to the downtown Toronto mall, rather all 20 of the company's Canadian shopping centres will get a CF in front of their names.

http://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/2015/09/toronto_eaton_centre_to_be_renamed/

Back