Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

They were on tonight!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 1,022
I guarantee everyone that the NIMBY's are going to ruin the lighting feature on Aura at some point in the future. Once more stretches along Yonge get developed for other tall condos, those that move in will start complaining that the lighting feature is "blinding them in their own rooms". In 5-10 years just watch the the complaints start flooding in. Then the news outlets will start covering the story, there probably will be protests, and the lights will either be dimmed or turned off completely as a result.

They just need to be dimmed a little bit, I can't see them bothering people like the flashing billboards at Yonge-Dundas into windows of condos miles away. These don't flash, and I can't see them being more troubling than most people experience in their home with street lights. Something that kind of bothers me (I'm being picky), I'm about half mile away and I can see where the lights join by dark spots at several areas on each of the vertical lighting columns. It's a shame they weren't joined better without dark gaps. The "white" is a little jarring too, perhaps a softer white might make it more palatable, and colour themes to coincide with various summer & winter events, if that's possible.

Well, the building belongs to its owners and is not designed as entertainment for the general public. If they wish to turn off the lights because they are bothered, they have every right to do so.

I'm not certain, but I believe that it's meant to be seen from Barbara Ann Scott Park and that it will be made known pretty soon.

From the last couple of days:

DSC04395.jpg
DSC04396.jpg
DSC04399.jpg
DSC04400.jpg
DSC04412.jpg
eDSC04374.jpg
fDSC04105.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04395.jpg
    DSC04395.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,625
  • DSC04396.jpg
    DSC04396.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,581
  • DSC04399.jpg
    DSC04399.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 1,597
  • DSC04400.jpg
    DSC04400.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 1,608
  • DSC04412.jpg
    DSC04412.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 1,629
  • eDSC04374.jpg
    eDSC04374.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,599
  • fDSC04105.jpg
    fDSC04105.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,603
Well, the building belongs to its owners and is not designed as entertainment for the general public. If they wish to turn off the lights because they are bothered, they have every right to do so.

Sure, the Board can decide if they want them off or when they turn them on/off once the building is handed over to them, but it is indeed designed for the public - even though it's not part of the art component.

Are the lights not the public art component of this projcet?

Public art or not, they don't need to be on all night. CityPlace's Warm by Night is a public art contribution, yet most of the buildings turn off the lights at some point during the night, and there is nothing preventing the property owners from doing so.

Partially why I think it's lame that lighting on a rooftop is considered a public art contribution to begin with.

Back