1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

2015 Federal Election

And they're off. See link.

Harper launches federal election campaign

Stephen Harper has launched the longest election campaign since the days of John A. Macdonald, as he seeks to become the first prime minister to win four consecutive mandates since Wilfrid Laurier.

But other precedents could be set instead. A new poll shows the NDP tied with the Conservatives, meaning Thomas Mulcair could become Canada’s first New Democratic Prime Minister. And the poll show Justin Trudeau’s Liberals also essentially tied, as he seeks to vault his party from third place to first, which again would be unprecedented, as it would would a son taking on the mantle of prime minister once worn by his father.

The poll conducted by Nanos Research and released Sunday, shows the Conservatives holding a statistically insignificant lead over the NDP, at 31.5 per cent to 30.1 per cent, with the Liberals close behind, at 29.3 per cent. Since the poll’s margin of error is 3.1 per cent, the three parties are in essence tied going into the campaign, which is again unprecedented.

Mr. Harper visited David Johnston at Rideau Hall, Sunday morning, where the Prime Minister asked the Governor General to dissolve the 41st Parliament and call an election.

Mr. Harper plans to launch his campaign formally Sunday evening with a rally in Mount Royal. That was Pierre Trudeau’s old riding, but the Tories believe they take away from the Liberals.

Mr. Trudeau is in Vancouver, keeping his commitment to attend Gay Pride celebrations. Mr. Mulcair planned to respond to the election call from Gatineau, Quebec, across the river from Ottawa.

But the dispositions of the three parties on such a long campaign are probably immaterial. The last time politicians spent that much time on the trail was in 1872, when Macdonald bested Liberal leader Edward Blake. By the third week of October, the events of early August will be out of memory.

Mr. Harper goes into the campaign as the most popular of the three leaders, again not by much. Just over 31 per cent of voters picked him as preferred leader, compared to just under 28 per cent who preferred Mr. Mulcair. Mr. Trudeau was farther back, at just over 22 per cent.

But Canadians have not bestowed four consecutive mandates on a party leader since Liberal prime minister Wilfrid Laurier won the 1908 campaign.

Regionally, the Nanos poll has the Liberals dominant in Atlantic Canada (48 per cent to 29 per cent for second-place NDP), the NDP ahead in Quebec (36 per cent to 30 per cent for the Liberals), with the Conservatives owning the Prairies (53 per cent to 24 per cent for the NDP). The Conservatives currently lead a three-way race in populous Ontario (Conservatives: 37 per cent; Liberals: 30 per cent; NDP 26 per cent), while in BC the NDP are on top, at 37 per cent, with Liberals at 30 per cent and the Conservatives trailing badly at 25 per cent.

It is important to remember that the margin of error for regional breakdowns of the phone-based survey is higher than at national level.

While little that takes place in these opening weeks is likely to remain in memory by October, one exception may be a Week One all-candidates debate--again something never seen before--hosted by Maclean’s Magazine. It takes place Aug. 6 starting at 6 pm ET, and the party leaders are expected to spend much of the next few days preparing for it.

It's Mulcair in front followed closely by Harper, and Trudeau trailing close behind. Taking up the rear, far behind are Duceppe and May

A few notes on today's events...

Seems like Mulcair took a page out of Stephen Harper's playbook by refusing to answer any media questions. Even Harper took 5 questions from the media. Trudeau took unlimited questions.

Also, bailing on the debates if Harper isn't present is a slap in the face to many NDP'ers (And the Green Party) who were critical of Harper backing out of debates.

The NDP has been running a perfect campaign so far, and then all of sudden made two moves that could potentially turn voters away from their party. You can't do the exact things you have criticized the opposition for, and expect it to be ok when you do it.

I already got a call from someone who wanted to poll me.
Ouch.

up-the-pole.jpg

Ha! I would post the picture of the native girl on the pole in Cannibal Holocaust, but that is kind of graphic.

Make that two calls from people who wanted my opinion...

"There is nothing wrong with YouTube. Do not attempt to switch to another video. We are controlling transmission. For the next seventy-eight days, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with YouTube. You are about to participate in a nightmarish adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Canadian Elections"
:rolleyes:

Has anyone seen lawn signs yet?

I did today for the first time. Along Warden Avenue going towards Lawrence, there are lots of Liberal signs. My riding was a Liberal stronghold until 2011. In my parents riding, I didn't see anything.

Back