Aura at College Park Condos (Canderel Stoneridge) - Real Estate -

Does anyone know what's up with Aura's elevators? They malfunction far too often. The last time i was here, about a week ago, more than half the elevators were down. I think someone was stuck in it too.

Does anyone know what's up with Aura's elevators? They malfunction far too often. The last time i was here, about a week ago, more than half the elevators were down. I think someone was stuck in it too.

Happens in damn near every condo out there. I don't know if elevators now are just poorly built, not maintained properly or have been installed incorrectly but there always seems to be an elevator down in most of the buildings I visit. Add to the fact that builders usually build too few elevators (I'm in a building with 45 floors and 3 elevators and 1-2 are usually out of service) this is an even bigger problem.

Reg. starts in February on the lower floors.

My understanding of the process: Registration of a condominium corporation takes place on a specific date, when the City of Toronto (or other relevant jurisdiction) completes the registration process, and the condominium corporation receives it's legal status and registration number (e.g TSCC 0000)

Final closings, at which the purchasers receive title to their units, then take place on a progressive basis, during the weeks after the condominium corporation has been registered.

Would the latter (Final Closings) be what you mean?

Final closing. Titles to units. Mortgage time!
My understanding of the process: Registration of a condominium corporation takes place on a specific date, when the City of Toronto (or other relevant jurisdiction) completes the registration process, and the condominium corporation receives it's legal status and registration number (e.g TSCC 0000)

Final closings, at which the purchasers receive title to their units, then take place on a progressive basis, during the weeks after the condominium corporation has been registered.

Would the latter (Final Closings) be what you mean?

Aura Elevators

I was on an elevator that got stuck. There were 5-6 people in the elevator and it started vibrating and then stopped very abruptly in between the floors. It was quite unpleasant experience. The concierge said that it's not dangerous, but for a couple of weeks after that incident the elevator was grounded, with a note saying that they are waiting for some part to arrive. So I assume there was a defect and they knew it, because the elevator was unusually unstable for a few days before that.

To add to my comment about elevators, there are quite a few negatives about living in Aura. Here are some of them:

1. Deliveries are quite complicated. You need to reserve an elevator (actually, the process involves moving between two elevators), which is not easy. Most people reserve standard 2 hour slot even for small deliveries that take 10-15 minutes, so you have to reserve well in advance. Several times I had to pay extra to a delivery company to deliver at exact time instead of a flexible 2-3 hour slot. Also, loading docks are shared with College Park stores, so not reserving an elevator can be risky.

2. I mentioned before, elevators are quite unstable and vibrations can be unpleasant. One time the sensors even forced the elevator to stop in between floors.

3. The air draft in the elevator shafts is unlike I've seen at any high rise buildings before. On some days the draft on the first floor can be quite extreme and noisy.

4. The ventilation system is very strange in this building. First of all, I can perfectly hear street traffic through my bathroom vent (I live on a high floor). Also, half of the time the air flow through the vents inside the walls is so strong that you feel like you are on an airplane. I used to think this noise comes from the vents on the roofs of nearby buildings, but the noise is coming from inside the walls.

5. Constant false fire alarms. I know this is common in high rise buildings, but the frequency in Aura is unusually annoying. People are now trained to completely ignore these alarms...

Much of what you reported should be included in the common area deficiency survey that will be sent out by the engineers who do the performance audit

Service Elevators

How many service elevators are there for Aura? With the large number of units there must be more than one, no?

There is one elevator from loading docks on level P1 down to level P2. Then you transfer to an elevator going up. Officially, there is one "service elevator" which serves floors up to 55(?), but I am assuming that people living on floor 56-78 can use any of the 3 elevators going there...

The listings of apartments for sale at Aura are quite amusing. A 777 sq. ft. apartment for $690,000? You can get almost double the size for 100K less around the corner at the Lexington.

Back