News   Apr 23, 2024
 161     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 378     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 

St Lawrence Market

The Metro is about to undergo a major renovation. I heard from one of the staff that they think the main entrance is going to be moved to the south side of the building facing Front. That side entrance can get pretty messy when the store is busy.

I hope they renovate the staff too!

The Metro is about to undergo a major renovation. I heard from one of the staff that they think the main entrance is going to be moved to the south side of the building facing Front. That side entrance can get pretty messy when the store is busy.
Sounds like this location might receive the Fortino's Touch: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...g-metro-supermarket-makeover/article23622635/

Also, thanks for the details about that Post House public space, Ed! Definitely going to check that out.

I hope the St Lawrence Market businesses thrive with the extended hours and the Metro store undergoing renovations. I'd love for those hours to become permanent. I know a lot of people in the greater neighbourhood area who would love to shop there regularly, but can't because of the hours.

I hope the St Lawrence Market businesses thrive with the extended hours and the Metro store undergoing renovations. I'd love for those hours to become permanent. I know a lot of people in the greater neighbourhood area who would love to shop there regularly, but can't because of the hours.

Agree 100%. Living in the area, but working 9-5 outside the area, its shocking how little time there is that I'm home and SLM is open.

I know for certain, I being included, that many of the Sunday Antique Market dealers will/would

welcome the new Sunday and extended hours; it being rather trying to

acclimate ourselves to the inedible Tim Horton's

on the east side of Jarvis.

Regards,
J T

Agree 100%. Living in the area, but working 9-5 outside the area, its shocking how little time there is that I'm home and SLM is open.

100%, or when you get there with 20 minutes to spare and everything's still pretty well put away and closed for the evening.

Yeah, if you don't get there before 5:30pm, you can basically forget it, and Saturdays with the tourists is almost unbearable. If I'm really determined, I'll visit after work and enjoy 15 minutes of rushing around to get some key items before heading over to No Frills further east.

I have a friend who's been living in Market Wharf for a year and hasn't managed to shop at SLM yet, so Metro gets the business. It doesn't have to be this way. :(

I was at Metro last week and ALL of the organic milk was within 1 day of expiration. Nice.

Last edited:
The market hours have always been an issue with me. It closes much too early for most people to shop there and I don't always have my Saturdays free, so I welcome the longer hours and hope they remain after the Pan-Am Games.

The market hours have always been an issue with me. It closes much too early for most people to shop there and I don't always have my Saturdays free, so I welcome the longer hours and hope they remain after the Pan-Am Games.
For what it's worth, the argument used by the merchants is that the stores in the SLM are all (or mostly) run by families and in order to open more than 5 days a week they would need to hire additional staff that would change the 'dynamics' of the place. Not sure this is really true (at least for most customers) but ...

I don't even think its true of the vendors. Unless all the places I go are run by the largest, most multi-cultural families around.

I think the amount of extra business they'd generate by becoming a reliable shopping location for groceries would offset the cost of hiring extra labour.

To make it work, the neighbourhood BIA would need to really put in an effort and mail out pamphlets (or something) to raise awareness about the new hours. I don't think a note taped to the front door is going to shift consumer habits over course of a few weeks.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, the argument used by the merchants is that the stores in the SLM are all (or mostly) run by families and in order to open more than 5 days a week they would need to hire additional staff that would change the 'dynamics' of the place. Not sure this is really true (at least for most customers) but ...

Yeah, but I think they'd still be better off closing on Tuesday and opening on Sunday. And maybe staying open a hour later Wednesday to Friday. Surely that would allow more people to shop there, without "changing the dynamics of the place". Honestly, the current hours are stuck in the 1950s. The market is publicly-owned, and while the needs of the merchants do need to be given serious weight (there is no market without the merchants), there is also a public benefit aspect to this issue. Right now, the market is underserving the public. For the vast majority of Torontonians, the market is simply inaccessible on any day except the insanely busy Saturday. No public asset should be that restricted.

Back