News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 361     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

East Danforth

Hey Skeezix - I can't seem to find the Building Permit info. When I input the address, nothing comes up. How did you find this info? Can you tweet it to me at @DanforthEast?
Thanks!

Hi, it pops up if you enter "1417 Danforth Ave". Given the City's user-unfriendly website, it won't come up if you enter "1417 Danforth Avenue". Sorry I don't tweet.

Anyway, here's the entry for the main permit (there are also permits for mechanical and plumbing):

Danforth.jpg

Attachments

• Danforth.jpg
    Danforth.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,843
Last edited:
Looks like 1450 Danforth Ave is going to be a Magic Oven, which seems to be relocating from 798 Danforth Ave. Business at 1450 Danforth was previously the Marrakesh Restaurant.

Also, Firkin Pub is opening up in the retail unit underneath Carmelina Condo at 2055 Danforth Ave (near Woodbine), with a boutique cigar shop opening up in one of the remaining spaces.

Anyhoo, hi to everyone in this forum. I moved to the Monarch Park/Danforth area six months ago from Brixton, in London, England, of which this area reminds me of somewhat. I've read a fair bit about this location, and stretch of the Danforth. Fascinating to see how it changes over the next few years. I've heard quite a few rumors about buildings that might have been sold, and also learnt about the city's upcoming study of the Danforth. Fascinating times.

One thing that I find interesting is the report going to the Licensing and Standards Committee on 25 June 2015 regarding prohibiting hookah, which, if passed, might have a considerable affect on a number of businesses at this end of the Danforth in October when the proposed ban would come into effect.

Welcome to the neighbourhood! I've lived in the area for four years now and have been amazed by the changes in that relatively short period of time. I am not a huge fan of either Magic Oven or the Firkin chain, but both will be great additions to the area.

I'd heard recently that the Beer Store at 1177 Danforth Ave had been sold, and flicking through a condo magazine (found it on a table at the bank today) I saw that the address was listed on a map of condos. Followed the clues and it lead me to this: http://sierra.ca/new-communities.php#danforth
There's a thread in the Projects and Construction forum on the 1177 Danforth property
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/the-greenwood-1177-danforth-ave-greenwood-fortress-sierra-9s.21462/

The only other Beer Store located on Danforth is between Victoria Park and Pharmacy. It will be interesting to see if they relocate nearby. Greenwood must be an important location for them.

When I first heard that the site was sold, I also learnt that the Beer Store was going to be retaining a presence below the condos - not sure how accurate that is though.

Scotiabank have vacated 1188 Danforth Avenue and corner of Greenwood Avenue (opposite the Beer Store/proposed condo unit).

Will we see another condo proposal on this site, too?

It's remarkable how many remnants of the East Danforth Italian community remain between Greenwood and Woodbine. Still a number of old school espresso shops and social clubs. I can recall as a kid during the 1994 World Cup when Italy won where the streets in the area were shut down.

Are there any long-time residents of East Dan that remember when the Italian community grew, what its peak period was, and when it started to decline?

I didn't even know there ever was an Italian community there. I'd like to see an old school espresso shop that predates the current wave of espresso coffee shops that started in the 2000s.

I used to buy the BEST focaccia at a little deli , north side, across from the Tim's which used to be a movie theatre at Greenwood. Unfortunately, the woman who owned it and made those tasty things died young of cancer in the late 80s. I have never had focaccia that good again and I have been to Italy three times.

There are many markets still around.

Maselli's across from Square Boy makes their own prosciutto.

Vincenzo's further east is 50 years old.

I don't know the name of the place at 1812 but it definitely is an Italian old-school-old-guy-hanging-around-drinking-espresso place. It does have a new facade.

Back