Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Because Toronto Fire and EMS said no.

How much longer are Toronto Fire and EMS going to stand in the way of improved public transit? This beautification of the public realm is more important that a fire truck making a run to the grocery story for the station dinner. Besides, for real emergencies they have sirens, why can't they drive on the road like everyone else getting out of the way for them?

I'm glad to hear Waterfront Toronto has finally acknowledged that signs that merely conform to Ministry of Transportation guidelines are insufficient. I'm glad to see they're adding clarity with do not enter signs, no left turn signs, clearly marked stop bars for cyclists. Now, what I would like to see is more clarity for pedestrians at intersections. I think the "Do Not Walk" sign and a stop bar needs to be added to the pedestrian side of the Martin Goodman Trail. That way, when cyclists have a green, pedestrians will more clearly know they should not enter the trail.

I heard somewhere that the crowd barriers with the Waterfront ads on them had been placed at pedestrian crossing points because the area that pedestrians were using to cross was supposedly too wide (i.e., they were straying from the crosswalk and onto the MGT. That can't be right, can it?

I heard somewhere that the crowd barriers with the Waterfront ads on them had been placed at pedestrian crossing points because the area that pedestrians were using to cross was supposedly too wide (i.e., they were straying from the crosswalk and onto the MGT. That can't be right, can it?
I think there were a couple at York -- and at that location it seemed more intended to keep pedestrians from crossing outside of the crosswalk.

That sounds exactly like the way it should be - the cyclists will also need to learn that this is a trail and not a highway just for them, and that they cannot count on any right of way without regard to the actual conditions
That's not been my experience with dedicated bike lanes in Europe, where pedestrians step into the bike space at their peril. In my trips in Europe, if you walk on the bike path you'll get a stern bell ringing and shout to GTFOOTW

See #10 http://www.theurbancountry.com/2012/03/10-observations-about-bicycling-in.html

Last edited:
Except that this is not a dedicated bike lane.

AoD
Then what is it? Is it a sidewalk, but on that allows bicycles? IIRC, the traffic lights for the path are marked Bicycle Signal, so someone in planning/design was thinking this was a bike path.

Does, or will Toronto have any dedicated bike lanes that are not parallel to (such as Sherbourne) or part of the road?

Last edited:
Except that this is not a dedicated bike lane.
This is very much in fact a dedicated bike lane. The rest of the Martin Goodman Trail is a shared space. Along QQ, this is not the case. They have segregated pedestrians and painted bicycle markings on the trail. Please do not use this to walk.

This is very much in fact a dedicated bike lane. The rest of the Martin Goodman Trail is a shared space. Along QQ, this is not the case. They have segregated pedestrians and painted bicycle markings on the trail. Please do not use this to walk.
This reminds me of the Martin Goodman Trail along the eastern Beach(es), where pedestrians are supposed to be on the boardwalk while bicycles are on the paved trail. If people can walk on both the boardwalk and the trail, thus putting pedestrians at risk of collision with bikes, then what's the point of the trail?

Back