• 20150621_131643.jpg
    20150621_131643.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 928
  • 20150621_131703.jpg
    20150621_131703.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 936
Email sent out recently:

Dear Valued Customer,

As has been reported in the media, our New York City stores were audited by the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) for weights-and-measures errors, such as those that cause improper price labeling on some of the products that are produced, packaged and labeled in our stores.
We want to provide our customers with the following information:

Unintentional errors
Any errors were unintentional, and any claim that we are "systematically overcharging" customers is completely inaccurate. The New York DCA found errors that we're not in favor of customers as well as errors that were benefitting customers. Even errors in customers' favor are considered a violation.

Hands-on approach
The reason for many of these inadvertent errors is because Whole Foods Market packs many of its fresh products in our stores instead of in factories or distribution centers. This involves team members handling, weighing and labeling containers of products, such as with cut produce and fresh squeezed juices. This is who we are and how we deliver the freshest products to customers, but this also means there will be some unintentional human errors.

Small percentage of errors
Our goal is always 100% accuracy. While some of our audits reflect 100% accuracy rates, in others, our scores have reflected errors in the weighing and price labeling of our products in a small percentage of instances.

Types of errors
Errors can include mislabeled content weights (both higher and lower), which could be a result of scales not being calibrated correctly, not deducting the proper amount for a container or moisture loss in the product over time. Errors can also include pricing discrepancies such as a price change not being entered into the system or a sale sign that has not been taken down in time.

Steps we are taking
While inadvertent mistakes are inevitable, our goal is zero mistakes. We are improving our training regarding in-stores packaging, weighing and labeling processes. Additionally, we have implemented a company wide third-party auditing process for all of our stores, and we will provide an update in the next 45 days so that customers can follow our progress.

Refund Policy
We apologize to our customers for any discrepancies that may have occurred. If customers think an item is priced incorrectly, we encourage them to ask the cashier to double check. If it is, and not in the customer's favor, we will refund the full price and give you the item free. Our goal is 100 percent price accuracy.

Our number one priority is to ensure that our customers have a great experience every time they shop at Whole Foods Market. Falling short of a great experience is not acceptable to us, and we are committed to doing better.

We thank you for the trust that you have put in Whole Foods Market, and we will do everything we can to continue to earn that trust.

We would like to hear what you have to say and invite you to send your thoughts and questions to feedback@wholefoods.com

I'm wondering how the Yonge and Sheppard location is doing. It opened with a bang, but is now never very busy. People seem to love the cafeteria area, for their coffees and quick lunches, but the aisles are full of blowing tumbleweeds.

For a while, they had no grass-fed beef in stock, as they were apparently seeking a new producer and/or provider. There was always a butcher handy to help you, or ask if you needed assistance, but now there is often just one person working, and sometimes you have to wait for them to come out from the back or try to get their attention. Twice I've seen people waiting patiently but then giving up.

And this week, I've never seen the produce section looking so weak. The green onions looked wilted and battered, and we couldn't find a single decent green pepper in the bin. One thing we always said about WF was that their produce always looked aces, even if the prices weren't justified or on par with other grocery stores. But we can't even say that now.

I was hoping to see WF do well here, but I'm not sure they targeted the right demographic.

I wonder how well the Bayview location will fare with all the nearby competition.

Torontonians are a frugal people. It would be interesting if you are right and we favor Metro and Walmart over the greener and more natural but more expensive Whole Foods.

I only go to Whole Foods for the hot food/salad bars for lunch. Because all their food is really amazing.

I skip the grocery store though. Too expensive.

I wonder how well the Bayview location will fare with all the nearby competition.

Torontonians are a frugal people. It would be interesting if you are right and we favor Metro and Walmart over the greener and more natural but more expensive Whole Foods.

The Bayview location is close to the Bridle Path. Do the people there really care where they buy their food? Not sure about that.

July 26th update:

20150726_110213.jpg
20150726_110235.jpg
20150726_110344.jpg
20150726_110430.jpg

Attachments

• 20150726_110213.jpg
    20150726_110213.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 561
  • 20150726_110235.jpg
    20150726_110235.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 569
  • 20150726_110344.jpg
    20150726_110344.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 569
  • 20150726_110430.jpg
    20150726_110430.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 580

When Whole Foods entered the Canadian market, they were the only large-chain store that carried organic/gluten-free/sustainable..etc produce. There were smaller health food retailers but they provided no real competition. Now you have virtually every major chain offering nearly the same selection & quality but at a better price point.

The Yorkville store is always busy.
So is the Oakville location. Those two areas can support a Whole Foods.
Square One, Yonge/Sheppard not really.
Bayview-> already strong competition with Pusateri's and to a certain extent Mark McEwan's store.

I don't know that I agree with that. We are at Loblaws, Longos, Whole Foods and Big Carrot (not to mention Foodland and the butchers, etc. on the Danforth) all the time -- Loblaws and Whole Foods every week, the others at least once every two weeks. Just my subjective impression, but the other chains simply do not offer the same selection or quality as Whole Foods (unless I am missing something at Metro or Sobeys). I like Loblaws and Longos, and they both offer many things that Whole Foods does not. But as a regular shopper at all of them, they are not directly comparable.

Last edited:
I still go to Whole Foods Yorkville weekly because they consistently have all their organic produce available week after week. I buy as much as I can elsewhere (usually a little bit cheaper, but not always because Whole Foods supplies in higher volume) because other stores in Annex/Yorkville area are too inconsistent with their organic selection.

I still go to Whole Foods Yorkville weekly because they consistently have all their organic produce available week after week. I buy as much as I can elsewhere (usually a little bit cheaper, but not always because Whole Foods supplies in higher volume) because other stores in Annex/Yorkville area are too inconsistent with their organic selection.

You must live in the area (as do I). Without Whole Foods, I probably would have to shop at a million different stores just to get what I need. The Longo's Market never has anything and while I can find MOST things at Bloor Market, it's not always the case (they tend to have a better organic selection, but grocery/pantry items are often out of stock). Pusateri's? FORGET ABOUT IT! Only go there for prepped items.

Back