News   Apr 16, 2024
 307     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.5K     0 

Forum Shutdown For Upgrades

Would be nice to have a max width set on the main container. My laptop is 1680 wide, making the line length long, and the watch icon way too far away from the threads they represent.

UtD5Xoi.png

Would be nice to have a max width set on the main container. My laptop is 1680 wide, making the line length long, and the watch icon way too far away from the threads they represent.

UtD5Xoi.png
There should be two 'default' skins that we can chose from. One whose width expands with screen size, and a second one with a fixed width as you say.

I am now getting my alerts. It was because I had a bunch of unread posts in the threads I am watching. Now that I've "read" everything, my e-mail alerts have kicked in.

Thanks!

We've also added a link for Alerts above the breadcrumb. They can be customized.

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at Tuesday Jul 7, 2015 11.01.33 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at Tuesday Jul 7, 2015 11.01.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at Tuesday Jul 7, 2015 11.01.33 AM.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 413
I have to say I'm quite pleased overall with new forums, however the mobile version still needs refinement. I find the layout extremely inefficient, having to scroll down for at least three iPhone screens long to finally get to the forums.

Untitled.png

1. The UT logo is way too big.
2. "News, homes map, forum, database" links don't need to be on top of each other. See point #4
3. I don't see the need to have the "latest headlines" here. This is the forum page. If I wanted to see the headlines I would have went to the home page instead. If you disagree with getting rid of it, then please at least get rid of that annoying picture on the left side that's causing the text beside it to be squished.
4. "Mark forums read, search forums, new posts, alerts", this part is good. That's what #2 could look like. Side by side rather than on top of each other would reduce unnecessary scrolling.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    502.4 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
I have to say I'm quite pleased overall with new forums, however the mobile version still needs refinement. I find the layout extremely inefficient, having to scroll down for at least three iPhone screens long to finally get to the forums.

View attachment 50124

1. The UT logo is way too big.
2. "News, homes map, forum, database" links don't need to be on top of each other. See point #4
3. I don't see the need to have the "latest headlines" here. This is the forum page. If I wanted to see the headlines I would have went to the home page instead. If you disagree with getting rid of it, then please at least get rid of that annoying picture on the left side that's causing the text beside it to be squished.
4. "Mark forums read, search forums, new posts, alerts", this part is good. That's what #2 could look like. Side by side rather than on top of each other would reduce unnecessary scrolling.

The mobile version is a work in progress. Changes are coming.

I think the Latest Headlines would work really well if it were to move (through CSS magic) to the bottom of the page once the view is particularly narrow. That way it's there to point out what's going on as you reach the bottom of any threads you're reading.

Am definitely finding the new look annoying on mobile--I click a link and the page jumps to some random thread.:(

Agreed UT needs a new smaller logo--perhaps combine the skyline motif with the UT logo?

I'd give the search area more prominence and maybe tab the news?

Mobile is a work in progress.

I continue to have intermittent problems with email notifications. They roll in regularly and then just stop some days. I just checked my "watched threads" list and had quite a list of forums with new posts that I hadn't received notifications for (and they are set with that feature).

I think it happens when I've been reading the forums on mobile (but am logged in)

ETA: i can't seem to locate the watched threads list when reading from my phone

Last edited:
I don't like that blocked users are literally gone from the threads. I keep seeing people talk about something and I have no idea what they're even talking about. So I signed out and tada, I see that it's because they're discussing something that someone I have blocked posted. While blocking someone and not seeing what they have to say is great, it helps to chime in if I know what the heck everyone is talking about or reading. I liked it better when I could read the post of the person I have blocked. I have seen this new software on the site allowing that at one time a week or two ago, but now it's hidden completely.

Back