Toronto Broadview Hotel | 28.65m | 7s | Streetcar | ERA Architects

July 12th last day for Jilly's

usQD2W9.png

I keep looking for an informed discussion around this corner of western civilization, the heritage front proposes to clarify a history more than copy data to a form. In some way an expression of the highest Victorian ideal created and one that lingers still in our hearts and minds, of all things good and true. We yearn for a true restoration, the fabric of which is open to some speculation as plans are hard to come by. The permit says this, "two public halls over", did they connect when a "big event" took place, could one be the "gymnasium" of the Royal Canadian Athletic and Bicycle Club, the other the Odd Fellow"s Orient domain? Try to picture the 7' Dunlop Trophy standing on a platform in the Royal's Hall looming over the proceedings of a meeting of The Daughters of England planning a bake sale fund raiser or The Riverdale Business Men's Association discussing the need for a high bridge across the Don. When Dingman sold his hall in order to prospect for gas and oil in Alberta, these two organizations built their own homes across the street in 1906, Odd Fellows Hall (now The Ethiopian Orthodox Church) at 125 Broadview and Royal Canadian Bicycle Club (now the Bolton Avenue Daycare Centre with RC Curling Club attached) at 131 Broadview. Dingman's Hall became The Broadview Hotel, then The Lincoln and finally The New Broadview Hotel. Rest in Peace Jilly's:cool:

So, the very good news (from my POV anyway) is that the Committee of Adjustment yesterday approved the variances to the zoning by-law needed to move this project forward. See our front page story here.

Talked to someone from ERA recently and he/she let me in on a little story that the building was very much close to collapsing for a few weeks when Jilly's initially closed last year. Apparently the bar had removed support beams over the years for 'better views' of the stage. Couple this with constant streetcar shaking and the existing support beams were literally crumbling behind the mirrors they were covered with. One night all the mirrors started smashing and the rest is history.

Talked to someone from ERA recently and he/she let me in on a little story that the building was very much close to collapsing for a few weeks when Jilly's initially closed last year. Apparently the bar had removed support beams over the years for 'better views' of the stage. Couple this with constant streetcar shaking and the existing support beams were literally crumbling behind the mirrors they were covered with. One night all the mirrors started smashing and the rest is history.

It's kind of unbelievable how lax the building inspections are, given the number of high profile collapses and near misses we have had.

AoD

Back