Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I do think Hancock when looking at this tower but I see a cheaper, less daring version. A tapered design would have won me over. Perhaps dual spires added to the top could save it. Right now, it just looks a one dimensional box from the skyline view.

It's not always about the top! The bottom of The One is much better than the bottom of the John Hancock Center. I also love how The One's cross hatches stand out more.

I like it thank goodness since I will be looking right at it. I'm glad that the tower won't be blocking either my direct eastern or northern views.

I do think Hancock when looking at this tower but I see a cheaper, less daring version. A tapered design would have won me over. Perhaps dual spires added to the top could save it. Right now, it just looks a one dimensional box from the skyline view.

I agree.

A few weeks ago, someone mentioned that they were considering a tapered pyramid shape. It's unfortunate they didn't pick something similar.

What's nice about The One is that it's going through the planning process with public input rather than just being built illegally. I'm glad our Councillors are on this! Phew!

Real cool, love the gold colored exoskeleton. Sorta wish the shape was a bit more interesting moving near the top and the crown. A tapering of the inside building into a spire while the exoskeleton stayed the same would have been really cool. But overall I love the proposal hope it improves and doesn't get watered down. Though I am expecting other projects of this magnitude in toronto to be a bit more interesting.

Those were my thoughts exactly... why couldn't the top be a different shape.. it's a shame it's still a box.

I'm really curious how the retail will play out here. It's interesting how Mizrahi constantly commented on the building not have obstructing columns . The Exoskeleton is pretty dominating on the street in terms of commercial/retail window space.

It's not always about the top! The bottom of The One is much better than the bottom of the John Hancock Center.

This. In terms of actual human experience, The One looks much better.

The tapering concept was likely reliant on the possibility of acquiring more land for a larger footprint. Economically, I can't see a developer wanting to dish out the money for the tapering effect (and resultant small upper level floorplates) on such a small site.

Last edited:
I'm really curious how the retail will play out here. It's interesting how Mizrahi constantly commented on the building not have obstructing columns . The Exoskeleton is pretty dominating on the street in terms of commercial/retail window space.

Windows aren't important for retail. In fact, most retailers will likely just cover the windows as its not productive in terms of generating revenue. This becomes even more true when you have retail above the street level, as is the case here.

...that Panama/Miami looking schlock across the street

In my opinion, the two structures compliment each other: a hard-edged geometric design on the west side, and a softer, curvilinear design on the east side. The One is somewhat taller, but not so much so that it dwarfs One Bloor East. I would love to see a render that includes both buildings, though, just to be sure.

I dont know about that, this bldg. is light years ahead and will look much better than that Panama/Miami looking schlock across the street

Honestly are you trying to get reactions from people lately? There are ways to make your opinion known without being so provocative right?

As for the One, I'm actually into the design. If built as is, with good material, I'm totally fine with the buildings on this block being demolished for it. Hopefully this isn't just really good showmanship for a property flip and Sam Mizrahi is really putting his ego on the line here. The height is interesting actually, it's a good deal higher than Mirvish's towers on King. I wonder if he'll get all 318 metres?

A lot more people here than they expected. More than half are going to have to stand.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard! They hyped it up for weeks now are surprised people showed up. Madness. People standing? But fed well.

And thanks for showing up yourself! That's awesome to change your mind on a dime and realize the building is indeed awesome!!

Back