News   Jun 05, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 881     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Dale @ddale8
Tonight: new Nanos poll out on CTV around 6. Mayoral debate at 7; @jpags there. Ford skipping debate and canvassing in front of media.

Why does the media fall for that every time?

This is a battle I've fought many times over the years: You send a reporter to cover something, because something may happen. If nothing happens, the reporter usually files a story, anyway. That's fine. It's their job. But I can't count the number of times I've spiked a story because it was pointless only to be called out by a boss saying I was "wasting news." My reply was always, "what news?" Then I'd be ordered to find space for the story. So much for news judgment, eh? Nothing wrong with journos following Rob to the doorstep. But there's no need to report it if nothing happens.

Most of what I read and see and hear is wishful thinking: "Ford doesn't have a chance!" "The cops might still arrest him!" "The anti-Ford vote will align behind Tory or Chow!" "He can't grow his support!" Meanwhile, he keeps on doin' what he does, and it works. It's working at this very moment, as the media prepares to follow him around on tonight's bullshit Potemkin canvas, drawing oxygen away from the other candidates, dictating the terms for the media and making him look like a boss while the other guys (and gal) look weak. Eventually the narrative will switch from "He can't win!" to "Could he possibly win again?" to "Oh shit, it looks like he's going to win again. If only we'd had stronger candidates running against him!!!" It's like 2010 all over again. We're yukking it up in here and on Twitter, but the usual rules of engagement don't apply to this tar baby of a politician and while we're laughing at him and losing our shit about stuff most people in Toronto don't care about (face it, they don't. They should, but they just don't)...he's winning.

Ford. More. Years.

LORINC: Ignore Ford at your own peril

Recent political history should also remind us that when Ford is challenged on the policy field of his own choosing — i.e., fiscal responsibility — he wins every time, and this despite the oceans of ink spilled on fact-checking his incessant lies.

Yet maybe with Ford, it’s not really about the left-brain world of policies and platforms, nor the endless parade of tawdry revelations about his off-the-clock activities. Maybe it’s about something far more amorphous, and difficult to refute — an appeal that issues not from what he actually does, but rather from his almost mystical capacity to absorb and refract the inchoate frustrations of daily life in the big city. He’s perennially put upon, and always on the wrong side of respectable opinion: the sweaty anti-hero in the ill-fitting suit who screws up but keeps trying.

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/09/02/lorinc-ignore-ford-peril/

I've a feeling we'll see him drop out of any where he doesn't have enough of a crowd living in the area that he can bring in, and any that aren't going to be televised. If there's one in an area where he's hoping to get votes, he'll turn up, and if it's on tv, he'll turn up, otherwise he'll be in the basement doing "canvassing."
Interesting choice of words; he's turnt up a lot. ;)

I really think I saw a copy of the detailing bill posted somewhere. I think it was for about 100 dollars and I remember thinking so what? I posted a comment at the time speculating on the various residues that would be in that vehicle. I was joking about drugs and shall we say "effluent de rob". Are we now speculating on other body fluids, like blood of a dead guy? Maybe that bill is searchable. Be right back .

It sure is thanks. Im having a problem opening up the view on those expenses though. Does it show the vendor? It looks like a standing monthly appointment to me.

those are his usual charges to the City. No spike in the amounts. If someone is cleaning carcass out of your car they'll be charging you in the thousands/tens of thousands if dollars. It's not like you have a choice.

It sure is thanks. Im having a problem opening up the view on those expenses though. Does it show the vendor? It looks like a standing monthly appointment to me.

the only detail it appears to give are expense totals... no itemization and no vendors.

10598609_740166159360136_2095121373_n.jpg

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/p/800804461122920906_190599583

Attachments

• 10598609_740166159360136_2095121373_n.jpg
    10598609_740166159360136_2095121373_n.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 721
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back