News   May 10, 2024
 701     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 815     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 918     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Yes, I'm aware that the current design will likely result in LRT delays at Leslie.

My point is that in order to eliminate this problem we do not need to build a tunnel (under a ravine, no less!), but merely to move the ROW to the side of the street. A similar change was made on the west end, where initially the line would have run in the median through Black Creek Drive. But the new design puts it on the north side of the street, with a bridge over Black Creek Drive. On the south side of Eglinton at Leslie, a bridge (or tunnel) would not be needed since there is no road to cross.

It is quite annoying that the same thing was done in the West end and the public fully supported it and there were no complaints. Why did they not do the same thing in the East end is beyond me. Maybe is was a "screw you Rob Ford" decision just to prove that Metrolinx is in charge of the project.

If I were to say that the Gardiner was to be rehabilitated so save money, most would view that as a good thing. If the rehabilitation was to cost 90% to 95% of the cost of replacing the whole thing - I would say rehabilitation is a terrible idea.

For Eglinton, if someone says that they want to built a median LRT along Eglinton and an SRT in a raliway right-of-way to save money - again most would say that is a good idea. If the in-median LRT would actually cost 90% to 95% of the cost of a fully grade-separated transit line - I would say that the in-median LRT is a terrible idea.

Wait, why isn't the LRT on the south side at Leslie+Eglinton? If it's going to be above grade, that just seems like really really obvious planning.

Make sure to attend and COMMENT on putting the Leslie section on the south side at the NEXT meeting. This meeting includes the Leslie stop. See this link:

Metrolinx invites you to attend a meeting for information on preliminary station and stop designs for the Eglinton Crosstown project.

The meeting will cover preliminary station and stop designs from Laird Drive to Wynford Drive, as well as information on the future construction of a tunnel boring machine launch shaft that will be located east of Brentcliffe Road.

Date:
Wednesday, November 6th, 2013
Time:
6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
123 Wynford Dr, North York, ON

The meeting will be in an open house format, and will begin at 6:30 p.m. with an opportunity to view displays and speak one-on-one with staff.

Wait, why isn't the LRT on the south side at Leslie+Eglinton? If it's going to be above grade, that just seems like really really obvious planning.

Agreed. I'm perfectly ok with the LRT not being tunnelled all the way to Don Mills, I just don't want to see ONE at-grade intersection that screws up the entire route, especially when the solution to avoid that is painfully obvious, and would be more or less cost neutral to the current proposal.

Not only is the stop to the south side of Eglinton painfully obvious but, but they plan on filling in the Wynford Drive over pass in favour of at-grade intersection, which in my opinion doesn't make any sense. There is an opportunity at this proposed stop to avoid vehicle traffic yet the TTC insist on making the LRT interact with traffic. I hope someone points out these flaws at the meeting.

Not only is the stop to the south side of Eglinton painfully obvious but, but they plan on filling in the Wynford Drive over pass in favour of at-grade intersection, which in my opinion doesn't make any sense. There is an opportunity at this proposed stop to avoid vehicle traffic yet the TTC insist on making the LRT interact with traffic. I hope someone points out these flaws at the meeting.

I thought the most recent plan was to keep the Wynford grade-separation.

Do you think if enough people suggest it they'd move to a south side alignment for this intersection? It seems obvious with everyone suggesting it.

I am actually kind of for a Leslie station. It might seem useless to many in here, but I think I and other locals would definitely use it to get to Sunnybrook Park when not in the mood/too lazy to bike, or unable to drive there. I don't know if that utility alone is enough to warrant the construction and maintenance of a station there, but those are my thoughts.

Anyway, there is enough space at the Leslie-Eglinton intersection that they literally could do whatever they wanted and still maintain a fully functioning intersection with no interference. I'd even strive to make the pedestrian sidewalk on the southside more walkable and have a fully sized bike lane. (Oh and please, a wider sidewalk on Leslie north of Eglinton at least to the entrance of the park)

Do you think if enough people suggest it they'd move to a south side alignment for this intersection? It seems obvious with everyone suggesting it.

If unable to attend the meeting(s), make your comment to MetroLink (link).

I do not know if it will work, but I think it is worth the effort - at least to compose a quick e-mail, if not go in person. Although I have sent a few comments and question and never actually recieved an answer to what I asked.

Back