Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

Since the only empty unit is on King Street I assume it is, as I said earlier, on the King Street side.
I just can't picture anything available that would give RBC the street presence they'd likely desire (though I don't know why CIBC thought their Front Street location was good). Perhaps this is just office space?

Does this building really need 3 banks?
Until about 30 years ago there were banks - often rather 'grand' purpose--built buildings - on almost every corner, then the banks decided it was too expensive to have bricks and mortar branches and closed many of them. In recent years they have realised that there are advantages, to them, of more convenient branches so we see a flurry of new - usually small - branches opening up - usually in rented store-fronts. I will not be surprised if we see another period of branch closures in the next year or so. Plus ca change and all that!

Until about 30 years ago there were banks - often rather 'grand' purpose--built buildings - on almost every corner, then the banks decided it was too expensive to have bricks and mortar branches and closed many of them.
That's what bank machines did to us. Remember what it was like in the 1970s with the long line-ups in the banks because everyone had to see a teller to get money?

4th bank really, as the Scotiabank is right across the street (SW corner of Princess and Front). I'm surprised this Royal is so close to the one in St. Lawrence Hall at Jarvis though ... but I can't complain as it's my bank and will be right in front of the streetcar stop I use.

I will not be surprised if we see another period of branch closures in the next year or so. Plus ca change and all that!
This seems to be industry-wide though ...presumably it's making them money.

Thank god the banks are back. There used to be a couple on Sherbourne (King, Queen) and they both went away. For many years in the only banks in the entire area from the Don to the core and from the lake to past Dundas were at Church! I'll take 3 here to none anywhere within walking distance.

Yep, in the 90s banks couldn't figure out how to make money with their branches, so they closed a bunch. Now that they've centralized nearly all back-office functions they can keep skeleton staff in place and reduce the size of the space required so it's much more cost-effective now.

Application: Mechanical(MS) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 3X5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 291391 HVA 00 MS Accepted Date: Jan 30, 2013

Project: Retail Store Building Permit Related(MS)

Description: HVAC - Proposal for interior alterations in existing retail space (CRU 6) in existing building. "Roosters Coffee house" (116.60m2)

Application: Mechanical(MS) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5A 3X5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 291391 HVA 00 MS Accepted Date: Jan 30, 2013

Project: Retail Store Building Permit Related(MS)

Description: HVAC - Proposal for interior alterations in existing retail space (CRU 6) in existing building. "Roosters Coffee house" (116.60m2)

Oh, hmm? Perhaps we should assume that the "s" on "Rooster" was a typo and that this is a second outpost of the supremely excellent "Rooster Coffee House" on Broadview? If so this is very exciting news, though the building certainly doesn't have nearly as much character to begin with.

Oh, hmm? Perhaps we should assume that the "s" on "Rooster" was a typo and that this is a second outpost of the supremely excellent "Rooster Coffee House" on Broadview? If so this is very exciting news, though the building certainly doesn't have nearly as much character to begin with.

I agree. If it’s the same folks who own the Rooster coffee shop up on Broadview, then they would inject some much needed retail character to this stretch of King Street, complimenting Betty’s to some degree. I think it would do extremely well, what with SAS directly across the street, and Coke, GBC and Sun Media in the building itself. The King East and East condos will provide some regular clientele on weekends, and of course there will be more condos to come in future on the Staples and Sobey’s/Acura site, though perhaps not for several years. I must say that I was a little surprised that one of the larger coffee chains like Starbucks, Second Cup or Timothy’s weren’t selected by the landlord, who you think would naturally favour a major chain over an independent operator. Perhaps the unit was too undersized (though 1,255 sf is not that small) or the midblock versus corner position could have dissuaded the major chains. Starbucks’ other two nearby locations at Frederick & Front and King & George (both corner units) are sufficiently distant IMO. Perhaps they are eyeing the heritage building on the north-east corner of Princess and King as a better fit? That ground floor space is available for lease. Regardless, I am pleased to see an indie coffee shop going in to this building, and if it’s related to the Broadview outlet, all the better.

Taken February 18, 2013:

IMG_1049_zps7a312355.jpg

IMG_1040_zpsb13ab663.jpg

I've been to the Rooster three times since it opened. The coffee is excellent, the service friendly, and the interior decor very similar to the other coffee shop on Broadview. I give it two thumbs up. I trust they will do very well in this location, given the captive clientelle in GBC, Coke and SAS, among others...

Back