News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

are you also doing the southwest corner? that one oughta be good, plenty of "then" pictures around

:) I used 'st clair yonge' as a search term at the Toronto Archives. Came up with a picture of the southwest corner showing 'Sellers Hotel'. I'll take a Now pic when I go up the Yonge subway to my parents - get off at St. Clair as a little side trip - and take an opportunity to also stop at the nearby Book City on Saturday.

Then. 'Spring 1914'

yongestclair_zps134294dc.jpg

Then and Now for February 5, 2013.

Later. Looking towards the SE corner of Yonge and St. Clair. c1970-ish, I'm guessing.

941.jpg

Now. July 2012.

942.jpg

i found two in the archives --

f1231_it0484.jpg

sorry, i thought there were more

I look at these kinds of pictures and wonder how very quiet our city must have been in those days. Sure, the interurban scootched by here occasionally and the very occasional car, but otherwise it our pioneering Torontonians didn't have the aural assault we daily bear.

Then and Now for February 6, 2013.

Then. 'Nov. 22, 1921. 2472 - 2474 Yonge Street.'

943.jpg

Now. July 2013. This is the west side of Yonge just below Castlefield Avenue. The Centro Restaurant is 2472 Yonge. I don't believe Yonge was ever re-numbered so I think this is a valid Then and Now.

944.jpg

Then and Now for February 6, 2013.

Then. 'Nov. 22, 1921. 2472 - 2474 Yonge Street.'

943.jpg

Now. July 2013. This is the west side of Yonge just below Castlefield Avenue. The Centro Restaurant is 2472 Yonge. I don't believe Yonge was ever re-numbered so I think this is a valid Then and Now.

944.jpg

My passion in life is to digitally record all of Canada's former and current electric railways using Google Earth. I have linked to the Toronto Archives with these photos in my map and I love seeing them turn up here from time to time. If I get permission I will post a link to my website for you all to see. These photos allow me to pinpoint stops and other physical properties of the Toronto and York Radial Railway who's tracks are featured in those photos.

Paul

St. Clair & Yonge pictures

i found two in the archives --

sorry, i thought there were more

I found two more, attached. Looks the corner finally changed from rustic to more urban around 1923.

Attachments

• f1244_it1094.jpg
    f1244_it1094.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 371
  • f1231_it1770.jpg
    f1231_it1770.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 376
My passion in life is to digitally record all of Canada's former and current electric railways using Google Earth. I have linked to the Toronto Archives with these photos in my map and I love seeing them turn up here from time to time. If I get permission I will post a link to my website for you all to see. These photos allow me to pinpoint stops and other physical properties of the Toronto and York Radial Railway who's tracks are featured in those photos.

Paul

I'm very much looking forward to seeing that. :)

www.cermc.webs.com

The downloadable file is near the bottom of the cover page. You must have Google Earth already installed on your computer to view the map. Any portion of the map can also be uploaded to your mobile GPS unit for use in the field if it runs the .kml/.kmz file format, and most do.

Current systems such as the TTC streetcars are marked in yellow, abandoned routes and historical systems are marked in amber. Where available, photos have been added to station/stop markers, and to the rail routes themselves. Just left click a mark/marker and the photos will load. In some cases where I have had time, you will find a camera icon. A double click on those icons will display the photos from the photographers point of view. Text information is included with each mark to inform you of the system you are looking at, and some systems like the Halifax street railway and the St. John street railway, all the marks are fully cited.
This work is offered for free and I make nothing off of the site traffic, so this is truely a labour of love. I spent all of last summer visiting every streetcar city across Canada doing research for this project and have not fully updated the map with this new information. If you are interested in following the updates as they happen, please take out a free membership on the website and you will receive notices when new updates are available.
I also live for criticism, so please feel free to let me know if you see something missing or incorrect.

Thank you Mustapha for this opportunity to share with everyone.

I also have links to my other projects for the class 1 railways in Ontario and Quebec at the bottom of the home page.

Paul

Last edited:

Back