News   May 21, 2024
 552     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 525     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 407     0 

City Councils Vote to Boot Out OMB!

Hahaha:D..that would be a total nightmare and developers would flock out of this city in droves

Talk about ignorance. You think the developers would run away? LMAO. Fine, other developers would come and pick up the slack. You know why..........because the demand is there. Developers just go where there's demand. Look at Montreal and Quebec City. They are as anti-development as any city i can think of and yet......................new buildings are still being built.
If you think the OMB was the sole reason for this big boom we've just had just proves you know very little of the situation.

“The OMB is undemocratic and unelected†says downtown councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, who led the charge against the OMB.

Which is exactly why there should be an OMB.

You need an appeal body that is free from the taint of local political bias, and has the greater good in mind.

You can go back and forth on this one all day, but in the end, this is the single most important reason for having it.

I would prefer having a design review panel run by the city have the final say.
Do you really think the developers would always listen to the nimbies? There's too much money at stake and the councillors would give in however without the OMB the developers would have to be more willing to negotiate.
Come on AG, so many cities around the world function like this. Everything will be ok.

Come on guys, if you left it to the people who live there to decide on city building, there would be very little built in this city;.. thats total nonsense

Taller towers have resulted from community consultation on more than one occasion. This notion that only developers appeal decisions to the OMB is nonsense as well. There is a need for an OMB however it might be better served as a localized body.

You need an appeal body that is free from the taint of local political bias, and has the greater good in mind.

You can go back and forth on this one all day, but in the end, this is the single most important reason for having it.

The OMB serves many interests, but the greater good is not one of them.

The OMB serves many interests, but the greater good is not one of them.

I was about to post this. The OMB: The one truly altruistic force in the world!

Developers love the OMB, and I know this because I know developers.

The day the OMB is abolished is the day the councillors and nimbys have unchecked run of the development of Toronto. Get ready to see everything low rise and toronto spreading all the way to barrie in the form of single family houses. Get ready to see section 37 attempting to move beyond reasonable. Get ready to see good design leave the city. Councillors would be like dictatorial kings and to be honest alot of councillors have no planning experience and a less than elementary understanding of good planning. If we left development decisions to councillors that would be very bad for everyone. Rest assured Councillors would cowtail to their constituents and who knows where that would end up. The OMB is a check in the system, it is an opportunity to provide a second opinion on planning staff and concillors and it is much needed - has anyone been to a public meeting? Nimbys are rampant and no one wants any development ever anywhere. OMB needs to continue as is and remain steadfast in the face of opposition and it is necessary. Growth is painful but the truth is Toronto is growing and it needs to grow up not sideways. All hail the OMB! And Thank you OMB for your services - you are appreciated. My 2 cents on the matter.

The day the OMB is abolished is the day the councillors and nimbys have unchecked run of the development of Toronto.

Why?
The OMB consists of an unqualified board of unelected people who have the power to override the decisions of the elected officials running this city, and the people who acually live in the city.

Get ready to see good design leave the city.

Good design can't leave the city until it actually arrives.

If we left development decisions to councillors that would be very bad for everyone.

i disagree, why do you think this?

My 2 cents on the matter.

At least the price was right.

+1 to Doug, who sees this a little more clearly and rationally than the poster before him.

Democratic process always trumps some board of unelected people which does nothing but spite Toronto's planners.

The "democratic process" isnt always democratic dont kid yourself - if you believe that then you shouldnt be on here. Councilors, planners, and developers need a check - that check is the OMB. Remember even nimbys like yourself can take developments to the OMB - and just because you do does that mean your right? Hell no. Often the planners, councillors, developers, nor nimbys do the right thing but not always, there needs to be a way to appeal decisions. There are many MANY bad mistakes made by planners, councillors, and developers across the city - and the OMB is a way to address them. Your a fool if you think planners and councilors should be alone in running a city, a damn fool!

Back