Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

This is getting OT, but a good side discussion.

sixrings:

Not really - it will forever taint the image of the city in the minds of the visitors. The sign belongs to the museum - the rest can definitely be relegated to the trashbin.

The Maryland Historical Society museum in Baltimore has preserved all sorts of iconic signage on the exterior of its building (an old neon Greyhound logo, a RCA "His Master's Voice" mockup, etc.

As for Honest Ed's, perhaps one of the two buildings could go - the one on Markham Street. B. Streets condo across Bathurst seems to be a reasonable precedent for that area

The Village Green Tenant Alliance (who I believe has a representative on the working group panel) is circulating a flyer claiming that Lanterra has reduced the proposal to 48 + 52 storeys. I don't recall hearing anything about that at the last working group meeting, but I may have missed one. Unconfirmed or not, I guess it's not unexpected.

This was discussed by the working group at the meeting this week (the evening of the 24th). The height has been reduced from 58/58 to 48 (north) / 52 (south). The dimensions of the buildings have been increased by removing the inner balconies (southern on north tower and northern on south tower) and moving the walls out to where the balconies were. I think they said it was something like 23m separation between the towers before and now it's 20m, but I can't recall for sure.

Thanks for the update mgl :)

Herein lies the problem in Toronto, it takes but one person to complain to bring the construction train to a screeching halt! I agree with you guys, it's an ugly stretch of yonge street filled with tacky junk shops. We have the opportunity to build two beautiful towers to showcase the longest street in the world, but no, a few people who rent an apartment force the builders to change everything? That is so wrong!! Why on earth can't we just move forward with it without these bloody time and resource consuming public meetings? Ever been to one? I have been to several, you know the number one fear? It might cast a shadow on them! Huh? If you choose to live in the downtown core, chances are you'll run into that risk at some point, I mean, come on, be realistic. I could understand objections if they were building a halfway house, but this is something that will be a huge improvement compared to what currently there, I just don't understand it people.

these meetings are an extremely positive thing. we are going to end up with a much more positive design than what aA started with. though I do wish it didn't have such a height reduction. I am happy that both are no longer the same height, but I wish it went from 58 + 58 to 54+62, or even 56 + 60. a slight differential in height between the two towers in necessary, just not a height reduction IMO.

Based on other projects, these might both still be above 500ft, so they're not exactly hurting in the height department. I do like the idea of these towers (48s and 52s), Karma (50s) and Five (48s) all being around the same height.

I assume 460 Yonge will get approved at about the same height as well.

Based on other projects, these might both still be above 500ft, so they're not exactly hurting in the height department. I do like the idea of these towers (48s and 52s), Karma (50s) and Five (48s) all being around the same height.

I assume 460 Yonge will get approved at about the same height as well.

How boring, ...lets just hope they dont start chopping everything else around there ("for example" Massey, 50 Bloor, Minto Yorkville)

Herein lies the problem in Toronto, it takes but one person to complain to bring the construction train to a screeching halt! I agree with you guys, it's an ugly stretch of yonge street filled with tacky junk shops. We have the opportunity to build two beautiful towers to showcase the longest street in the world, but no, a few people who rent an apartment force the builders to change everything? That is so wrong!! Why on earth can't we just move forward with it without these bloody time and resource consuming public meetings? Ever been to one? I have been to several, you know the number one fear? It might cast a shadow on them! Huh? If you choose to live in the downtown core, chances are you'll run into that risk at some point, I mean, come on, be realistic. I could understand objections if they were building a halfway house, but this is something that will be a huge improvement compared to what currently there, I just don't understand it people.

So, just let developers do as they please and steamroll through downtown Toronto with no regard to anything left of our short history in this city, good design or smart planning protocols. Did I get that right?

Now you're being sarcastic, I didn't say let them do what ever they want, I'm a strong supporter of preserving our historical structures. The only point I am trying to make is every project has to jump through far too many hoops. Once approved by the city, that should be the end of the discussion. It just seems they allow too much say from people with completely unrealistic expectations, and no real idea of what they are whining about. I live on Howard street, there is, if built, going to be three towers around 50 floors partially blocking my 20th floor view. Big deal!how often do I (or anyone for tht matter) look out my window? For fun, I went to one of the public meetings, what a joke! People yelling, loosing their tempers because part of their views may be compromised, really? If you choose live in the downtown core of this city, expect that further construction is a very real possibility. These people act like its the first tower ever to be built! Can you understand my point? I'm not asking anyone to agree, I respect that, I just get so ticked off at just how easy it is for a reasonably small group of citizens to completely alter (usually for the worst) or even cancel a new tower. If you choose to live downtown, expect construction. Growth is inevitable, and a necessity for a healthy city. Look how far we have come in just 10 years, imagine how it will look in a further 10? If pople are dead set against growth, may I suggest moving to the burbs?

52 and 48 storeys instead of 58!? Fantastic! That'll make a massive difference to the street-level experience on Yonge and will absolutely ensure that the low-rise character of the neighbourhood is completely maintained. With results like this, I can certainly see why Toronto is so habitually associated with greatness. Kudos all around to those involved.

52 and 48 storeys instead of 58!? Fantastic! That'll make a massive difference to the street-level experience on Yonge and will absolutely ensure that the low-rise character of the neighbourhood is completely maintained. With results like this, I can certainly see why Toronto is so habitually associated with greatness. Kudos all around to those involved.

Yes indeed, huge difference, well, once we can cruise the tops of our towers in a hover car! The average citizen couldn't tell the difference between 52 floors or 90 floors! From the ground the height is damn near impossible to guess, and given the number of near by towers going up, the skyline will hardly be effected at all, so what are they (the public) complaining about?

these meetings are an extremely positive thing. we are going to end up with a much more positive design than what aA started with. though I do wish it didn't have such a height reduction. I am happy that both are no longer the same height, but I wish it went from 58 + 58 to 54+62, or even 56 + 60. a slight differential in height between the two towers in necessary, just not a height reduction IMO.

There is a certain amount of terminal equine abuse in me asking this but how do you know what the initial concept(s) were?

Back