News   Jun 03, 2024
 496     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Thirty-Two Douglas Drive. c1920. House of Sidney Smith, Toronto."
QUOTE Mustapha.

YES!

Sidney Smith, Proprietor of Smith Brothers Motor Body Works, 171 - 183 Duke Street.
(Est 1834.)

http://www.emckemptville.ca/20110811/Lifestyle/1931+custom-bodied+Buick+big+hit+in+Hollywood

BTW, their plant on Duke Street was at the present s/w corner of Adelaide & Parliament.

Regards,
J T

Fascinating.

Also fascinating is the author - Bill Sherk - one of the most beloved high school history teachers that ever lived [IMHO]. He taught at Northern Secondary in the 70s.

Then and Now for May 15.

Then. 15 Whitney Avenue. c1910. Home of M. A. White, of the architectural firm of Burke, Horwood and White.

54315WhitneyAvec1910.jpg

Now. August 2011. Trees made the original angle an unflattering one hence a different Now.

544.jpg

Based on this one and Douglas Drive, Messrs Burke, Horwood, and White did not like the look of a naked gable end. Too risque for Edwardian Toronto, perhaps!

Then and Now for May 16.

Then. 31 Whitney. c1920. House of Edward Newell, Esq. Ah, the WASP striver of 1920. A title that only certain American attorneys now have a fondness for. Harold R. Watson, Architect.

54531WhitneyAvec1920.jpg

Now. July 2011. I like this place: subtle, sublime, style and substance. Punchy colour too.

546.jpg

Have to disagree about this house. I don't mind the new roofline and dormers, but removing the shutters and those trellisy structures was a mistake. The facade is now too stark.

And I strongly suspect it's been restuccoed -- the old stuff would have been more "textured".

And just generally, the elevated front terrace doesn't ring true as "bare space" (which leaves me wondering if we're witnessing a renovation-in-process)

Have to disagree about this house. I don't mind the new roofline and dormers, but removing the shutters and those trellisy structures was a mistake. The facade is now too stark.

And I strongly suspect it's been restuccoed -- the old stuff would have been more "textured".

I'm alone in my love for this place. Some readers in the 'News' section of Urban Toronto (where this is cross posted) also agree with you.

And just generally, the elevated front terrace doesn't ring true as "bare space" (which leaves me wondering if we're witnessing a renovation-in-process)

I took the picture last summer. I agree it's a renovation-in-process- I'll add.. almost complete. It probably looks different now; curtains or blinds for one thing.

I - we - missed a photographic capture of the original unaltered house by only a few months. It's available to see on Google streetview.

"2 Beaumont Road."
QUOTE Mustapha.

The place looks like a dump.

Regards,
J T

Back