News   May 28, 2024
 27     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 27, 2024
 1K     1 

Globe: Will Toronto Rise to the Skyscraper Challenge (JBM)

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Globe Real Estate Section, by John Bentley Mays:

The Perfect House
Will Toronto rise to the skyscraper challenge?

JOHN BENTLEY MAYS

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Developers like putting them up.

Many young professionals and empty-nesters are prepared to line up around the block to get homes in them.

And though citizens regularly take to the barricades to protest them, and Toronto city planners are inclined to lop off their too-high tops, tall residential buildings are steadfastly here to stay. But is there a common meeting ground for the various combatants in Hogtown's ongoing, fitful skyscraper wars? Is there a tower style that best suits our city, and our idea of the city we want?

To get at these and other pressing questions about high rises, the planning department at City Hall is sponsoring a public discussion next Thursday. The all-day Higher Learning Symposium (as this promising event is called) will be held at the Westin Harbour Castle. It will feature a wide variety of expert and lay opinion, from across Canada and abroad, about the place of skyscrapers in our city, our lives, our imaginations. Scheduled speakers include William Thorsell, chief executive officer of the Royal Ontario Museum; Mark Kingwell, author of an excellent new study of the Empire State Building; Manhattan urban planner Edith Hsu-Chen; Paul Katz, senior partner with the New York-based architectural giant Kohn Pedersen Fox, and others from London, Chicago, Waterloo and Vancouver. There will be workshops, talks and panel discussions. (For further details, visit www.toronto.ca/planning/higherlearning.htm.)

Why this high-powered civic discussion now?

"It boils down to people saying we really should get a handle on tall buildings," Robert Friedman, city head of urban design, told me. "We have architects, city staff, writers, talking about what we want tall buildings to do. What do you want the skyline to be? We are hoping to get some conversation about the poetic qualities of tall buildings, the way high density brings vibrancy to the street. Are we building vibrant places, or high-rise ghettos? Can you create real communities in the Jane Jacobs sense?"

Among other matters Mr. Friedman expects the speakers to address is the future of the family-oriented condominium. "Reacting to a demand" from families, he said, New York developers are furnishing apartment buildings with such amenities as playrooms, babysitting services and lessons for children. Though this market trend has not taken off in Toronto, it still could — thus becoming one of many demographic and cultural pressures shaping the city's tall building of the 21st century.

The lineup of Thursday's speakers and topics tends to be socially earnest, as it probably should be — up to a point, anyway. But what attention will be paid to beauty? Any survey of recent tall buildings around Toronto would suggest that we're coming up notably short when it comes to skyscraper aesthetics. That's something we need to talk about. Fortunately, few cereal-box slabs have gone up during the current wave of residential tower construction. The point towers being encouraged by city planners look better and work better on the skyline. But how many of these newer Toronto high rises have the artistic power to stir the heart and imagination?

The answer: very few. Other large cities, similarly caught up in a skyscraper building boom, are getting remarkable new tall buildings. Here follow some excerpts from my scrapbook of high rises — a few architectural designs that sing, celebrate new technologies and sound urban ideals and provide models of what's possible here in Toronto.

* The Fordham Spire, Chicago, by Santiago Calatrava. This marvellously graceful tower, designed as a hotel-condominium complex, will spiral upward around a central core to its full 2,000 feet. It's a notable rejection of the Modernist box, a form that held an honourable place in the history of construction, but whose era is now past. Mr. Calatrava's Fordham Spire speaks with full-voiced optimism about the dynamic future of cities.

* 8 Spruce St., New York, by Frank Gehry. A 74-storey masterpiece that harkens back to New York's romantic skyscrapers of the 1920s, including (and especially) the Empire State Building. Mr. Gehry's titanium-sheathed scheme springs up from a broad podium and rises through smoothly waving setbacks to a strong crown. It is nostalgic for past glory, in an entirely good sense, but its expressive architectural vocabulary belongs entirely to our time.

* Maashaven Towers, Rotterdam, by Winka Dubbeldam. These three apartment buildings stand like tall, shining blades, cantilevered over the Maas River in Rotterdam in the Netherlands. They suggest what an urban waterfront should be: boldly engaged with sea, lake or river, energetically bringing the city to the water's edge.

AoD

Re: Globe: Will Toronto Rise to the Skyscraper Challenge (JB

But how many of these newer Toronto high rises have the artistic power to stir the heart and imagination? The answer: very few.

And how many low rises do?

I don't think this issue has anything to do with height; better planning and design are needed for all new development.

In terms of highrise design in Toronto I would certainly put Libeskind's condo in that category, it breaks the typical highrise mold anyway. But this isn't a huge building- it certainly isn't going to be the 2000ft monumental building that Calatrava's building will be for CHI. Indeed I still can't figure out why Brookfield opted for such a bland knockoff design for B-A on what is perhaps the best land available in the MINT.

Aye me, it's the same old issue again, isn't it! Do Torontonians really care about this, or are we at UT a special interest minority?? If not, why are Torontonians not getting the buildings they are wanting? Where are the soaring, cutting-edge scrapers that rival the best in the world? Are noisy interest groups and nimbys pulling the strings of what are essentially impotent political leaders?... and why do private developers and companies in other cities like New York and Chicago, or even Calgary, seek to outdo each other with image-establishing, starchitect-designed towers, while in Toronto we get timid and conservative buildings, time and time again? Thank God for the bravado of the ROM Crystal: it's a sassy red-mink bikini among a sea of little black dresses!

or even Calgary

LOL, Calgary gets one decent project and suddenly they are in the same league as Chicago and New York in terms of private sector architecture.

Toronto has a long history of rising to the challenge... just not recent.. history.

1. TD
2. Commerce
3. Royal aka RBC (still gorgeous after all these years)
4. Scotia

These are not only 4 of the most important skyscrapers in the country (far better than the nonsensical warmed over Foster), they are worthy of mention on the world stage (so that means... wait for it... world class, eh?).

I'm quite happy with the way that skyscrapers are going up in Toronto right now. Many of the major high-rise projects in Toronto appear to have some sort of originality in their designs, quite unlike the cookie-cutter way of building high-rises in Hong Kong. But on the other hand we don't see every high-rise trying to attain landmark status, like in Dubai.

I don't see the need for every new skyscraper project in Toronto to be designed by a star architect or have a wow factor in it. As long as we keep the standard of skyscraper design and construction high in this city, with an exceptional "landmark" project once in a while, I think Toronto's skyscraper development will stay healthy.

Toronto has a long history of rising to the challenge... just not recent.. history.

1. TD
2. Commerce
3. Royal aka RBC (still gorgeous after all these years)
4. Scotia

These are not only 4 of the most important skyscrapers in the country (far better than the nonsensical warmed over Foster), they are worthy of mention on the world stage (so that means... wait for it... world class, eh?).

Except maybe among skyscraper geeks on the web (who don't quite count), I've never heard of Scotia being deemed "worthy of mention on the world stage"; it's not bad, but it's still relatively humdrum 80s-style WZMH-style corporate late-modern which just happens to be supertall. If you include Scotia Plaza in a "most important" list, you might as well include FCP; it might be the most "hated" of the lot, but it's still the tallest etc. (And perhaps its place in the Ed Stone oeuvre deserves "world stage" note.)

Also, when it comes to "rising to the challenge", we should never forget BCE--not for the towers per se (and even they're not much "better" or "worse" than Scotia) , but for the Calatrava galleria. It isn't all about the "skyscraper" part, y'know...

As for JBM's question, I go to Chicago and weep.

I've got an antidote to that. Go to Chicago's South Side. Pretty fronts can conceal diseased backsides, y'know...

Yeah adma, I know.

Where you silly enough to think that this is what I was making reference to? Do you need it all spelled out for you?

As for the "south side," which part? If you had ever been there you find it was quite diverse.

So why are we weeping? Great skyscrapers or one of the largest urban blights in the U.S.?

^Have you ever been to downtown Chicago? If you have then you ought to know what I mean by my remark. I was making a reference to the history of high rise architecture in that city. I was not making reference to the suburbs of that city, nor am I ignorant of the problems that are found in American cities. I was making a subjective comparison to another city with a tradition of building high, and remarking in a humourous manner that if that was an example to challenge, then Toronto had a long way to go. It was JBM asking if Toronto will rise to the skyscraper challenge; compared to downtown Chicago it has a way to go. That is my personal opinion.

Also note that no point did I suggest that skyscrapers were an urban blight in the United States, or even Chicago for that matter. It was you who suggested that I was saying something to that effect. But if you reread what I posted you would conclude otherwise.

I hope you find all of this explanantion helpful.

It is unfortunate if I was was not literal enough for you.

He says Toronto is behind other cities and goes on to cherry pick the very best from a few world cities. Harldy a fair comparison. I'd say Toronto's current high rise architecture stacks up with the best of them. Look at Chicago. I looked at their top ten new towers at the Chicago high rise thread on SSP - what's so special about Park Tower, 111 South Wacker, UBS Tower, 55 East Erie, or River East Centre? And the Grand Plaza and Millennium Center are just awful. That's 7 of Chicago's 10 tallest new towers. The other 3 look pretty sharp - The Heritage, the Hyatt Center, and The Chase Center. A collection that's no better than Toronto's top 10, IMO.

^Have you ever been to downtown Chicago? If you have then you ought to know what I mean by my remark. I was making a reference to the history of high rise architecture in that city. I was not making reference to the suburbs of that city, nor am I ignorant of the problems that are found in American cities. I was making a subjective comparison to another city with a tradition of building high, and remarking in a humourous manner that if that was an example to challenge, then Toronto had a long way to go. It was JBM asking if Toronto will rise to the skyscraper challenge; compared to downtown Chicago it has a way to go. That is my personal opinion.

Yeah, yeah. And that point is understood to the point of hackneyed banality. Chicago's the Birthplace Of The Skyscraper, it has all those Really Great Textbook Examples of Skyscraper Architecture, bla bla bla, ho hum, just like U2 and Coldplay are really great music acts of our time, bla bla bla, ho hum...

Of course, I'm being sarcastic. Which is why it's better for a well-seasoned Chicago visitor to look beyond the skyscrapers, rather than simply at them like any old dumb archi-tourist--and if it means Chicago gets a little "demystified" in the process, so be it. It's better that way...

Back