929     1 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
How come the media isn't telling the truth that Ford wasn't planning to build any subways, but instead wanted to put street cars underground, like the queens quay system?

The media has been lying about many things regarding transit, listening to talk radio last night you would thing that council has plunged the city into the dark ages.

My concern now is that, due to this change in vision once more, nothing will be built in my lifetime. Everytime there is a reversal, new studies need to be done, more bureaucrats have to be paid and we end up with NOTHING! As proven time and again in this thread, there are pros and cons to each and every plan, but let's move forward on something!

Last edited:
A 20 min walk will not hurt anyone and actually helps most everyone
I don't think anyone is talking a 20-minute walk! That's almost 2 km!

I can certainly say I've put on a few pounds, now that instead of walking 10 minutes to the subway, and 10 minutes from the bus to the office; I walk 2 minutes to a streetcar, and 1 minute from the streetcar to the office.

Toronto's left-wing urban elitists HATE cars and drivers so they basically shafted the suburbanites. The decision by the city council PROVES that. With traffic the way it is, that they would opt for an above ground expansion of transit is unconscionable. Anyone who has been to New York city knows what would happen if the extensive subway there didn't exist. It would make New York traffic like a big city in China's traffic, with hours-long delays. Not to mention, current transit vehicles are very poor quality. The buses built in the 1950's by GM were designed in-part by aerospace engineers with an eye to durability and reliability with cost being secondary. New products, (if you know anything about that industry) are not nearly as reliable or as long-lived. Which means the more of them you have on the road, the worse the problem.

I don't believe Karen Stintz belong to the "left-wing" category. And everyone who've been to New York knows that Scarborough ain't it.
With all the name calling, you're off to a good start on here.

AoD

Last edited:
Toronto's left-wing urban elitists HATE cars and drivers so they basically shafted the suburbanites. The decision by the city council PROVES that.
We've got this huge pool of money, and overcrowded subways in downtown, so we just spent it all spreading mass transit and reducing vehicular congestion even further into the suburbs, rather than putting it where it's needed downtown.

And that's shafting the surbanites? Why don't we shaft them even more and reduce suburban property taxes? Clearly being shafted is a good thing!

I don't believe Karen Stintz belong to the "left-wing" category. And everyone who've been to New York knows that Scarborough ain't it.
With all the name calling, you're off to a good start on here.

AoD

Oh? How about them taking turns sitting in Ford's chair afterward and laughing about the result? It happened. Facts are facts; Toronto's elitists don't like Ford, they will vote against him at every turn and they have nothing but disdain for the suburbs. Meanwhile, the people who will suffer for their antics are the suburbanites and city businesses that won't see the traffic they might have seen from the suburbs. The urbanites want it all to themselves, their little enclave.

Oh? How about them taking turns sitting in Ford's chair afterward and laughing about the result? It happened. Facts are facts; Toronto's elitists don't like Ford, they will vote against him at every turn and they have nothing but disdain for the suburbs. Meanwhile, the people who will suffer for their antics are the suburbanites and city businesses that won't see the traffic they might have seen from the suburbs. The urbanites want it all to themselves, their little enclave.

The majority of Councillors are elected by suburbanites. Ford likes to boast that he has a mandate from the voters, but so do the Councillors who voted against him yesterday.

Besides, suburbanites who live near Finch West, or near the SRT extension east of Scarborough Centre, will get more from the majority's plan than they would get from Ford's plan. Ford's plan did not have Finch West LRT or the SRT extension.

Toronto's left-wing urban elitists HATE cars and drivers so they basically shafted the suburbanites. The decision by the city council PROVES that. With traffic the way it is, that they would opt for an above ground expansion of transit is unconscionable. Anyone who has been to New York city knows what would happen if the extensive subway there didn't exist. It would make New York traffic like a big city in China's traffic, with hours-long delays. Not to mention, current transit vehicles are very poor quality. The buses built in the 1950's by GM were designed in-part by aerospace engineers with an eye to durability and reliability with cost being secondary. New products, (if you know anything about that industry) are not nearly as reliable or as long-lived. Which means the more of them you have on the road, the worse the problem.

Psst... New York does have LRT in its suburbs.

The SRT is pretty universally considered to have been a disaster from the start and they want to continue it? What is not needed are all sorts of (incompatible with each other) varied transit methods for the GTA. We should have buses and subways. No LRT's, and we should get rid of the street cars, their dangerous metal tracks and the spider's web of wires that blight the city streets.

LRT's are almost as bad and ugly as above-ground subways. Typical rust-belt city think.
Perhaps you should spend a few hours reading through the threads here before you bombard us with posts that demonstrate your ignorance.

Or have perhaps you been here before under a different name.

Ford lost this because he is completely incapable of working well with others. Council and Stintz in particular bent over backwards to give him an out to save face, but he was all "my way or the highway". And he does appear to have taken the highway ...

Read the other thread . Most of the points were and are still valid for going with Sheppard rather than Finch; and TTC did not count LRT as part of their rapid transit extension back in those days, they only planned for grade-seperated transit extensions for their backbone network.

My point from the other thread still stands: build a Finch RT in the hydro corridor, and build downtown North York around Yonge and Finch either than Sheppard.

How nice! They gave him an "out to save face." Ford was elected on HIS mandate, not the contemptuous radical left's who did nothing good for Toronto and ran up MASSIVE debts. His predecessor (a leftist, of course) also let the unions run roughshod over city hall. The losses to the city alone from tourist dollars thanks to Miller's garbage strike must have run $100M. That Ford has had to upset a lot of silly people is testament to the mess the city was in financially when he arrived.
P.S. I've never been here under a different name.

Back