News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 497     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Hudson's Bay Company

These guys opened up at Yonge/Gloucester a few weeks ago. I wonder if Top Shop will come after them for the name.

topshops.jpg

The first real TopMan/TopShop boutiques will be opening on Oct. 5 in the Yorkdale Bay store. Still no word on when they'll open up at the Queen Street store.

The stuff that my women friends have been complaining about for years really hits home whenever I have stopped at the TopMan pop-up store in the men's department on Queen Street. I'll see a nice looking sweater, and they'll have five of them on the rack -- two Smalls, three ExtraSmalls. Non-waifs need not browse.

The first real TopMan/TopShop boutiques will be opening on Oct. 5 in the Yorkdale Bay store. Still no word on when they'll open up at the Queen Street store.

The stuff that my women friends have been complaining about for years really hits home whenever I have stopped at the TopMan pop-up store in the men's department on Queen Street. I'll see a nice looking sweater, and they'll have five of them on the rack -- two Smalls, three ExtraSmalls. Non-waifs need not browse.

That's the reason why I like Topman! Lol. Usually in Canada it's M-XXL. However, the prices aren't small, that's for sure! Especially when H&M is selling practically the same stuff for half the price.

Oct 1, 2011
Topshop / Topman is coming in 4 days
photo2.jpg

still doing last min unpacking
photo.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 314
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 322
I'll see a nice looking sweater, and they'll have five of them on the rack -- two Smalls, three ExtraSmalls. Non-waifs need not browse.

Finally, a store that doesn't cater to the average fatso.

The interior of the TopShop/TopMan store is looking great... it reminds me of the way the H&M at Eaton Centre used to look (neon yellow, white, black) before they took the fun out of it and tried to make it look more sophisticated and American, and in turn ruined it.

Press-release. Lots of bumpf, but some interesting facts about layout, size and online sales.

Topshop and Topman's first Canadian flagship in Toronto
Canada NewsWire

TORONTO, Oct. 3, 2011

The wait is finally over for the fashion opening of the year, as the "Topshop and Topman Takeover" lands at Toronto's Yorkdale Shopping Centre on October 5, 2011

TORONTO, Oct. 3, 2011 /CNW/ - Arcadia owned TOPSHOP TOPMAN today announced the highly-anticipated opening of its first Canadian flagship location; operating in partnership with The Bay. After months of consumer buzz and excitement, the opening now brings the UK-based brands' joint style authority and brave trend-setting approach to Toronto's The Bay Yorkdale on October 5, 2011. TOPSHOP TOPMAN Yorkdale will boast the same selection of trend-driven pieces, specialized collaborations, and bespoke services that both brands have become internationally known for, and celebrated by style-conscious consumers. As British High-Street style champions, TOPSHOP TOPMAN remain a favourite amongst the fashion set, and TOPSHOP is the only fast fashion brand to regularly show collections at London Fashion Week, setting popular fashion trends each season.

The opening is a culmination of a year-long roll out met with huge consumer excitement, which began at the opening of Pop Up stores in downtown Toronto this summer, and continued a wave of style innovation westward with capsule collections launching in Vancouver and Calgary this fall.

Located at The Bay in the Yorkdale Shopping Centre, TOPSHOP TOPMAN design look and feel will evoke the spirit of London's iconic Oxford Circus store. Embracing just over 15,000 square feet of retail the store will span two floors interconnected with an in-store stairwell. Polished black glass portal entries, matt porcelain flooring and white neon signage, will bring the brands' signature look to this first Canadian location. Architectural details will include signature touches such as mannequin display windows, carnival neon shop lettering, graphic mural decals and black accents throughout the store.

"I am delighted to be launching the TOPSHOP and TOPMAN brands in Canada, and know that having chosen Bonnie and her team to be our partners, we have exciting times ahead," says Sir Philip Green, owner of Arcadia Group Ltd. "The Yorkdale store is a fantastic space and represents another step in our continued international growth, and I am confident that The Bay's customers will enjoy the retail experience and product."

"We are thrilled to bring TOPSHOP and TOPMAN'S inspiring style to Canadian consumers. The brands' fashion-forward spirit is the perfect match with the innovative and irreverent Canadian style sensibility. The opening of TOPSHOP and TOPMAN signifies a momentous occasion for The Bay as we celebrate our first flagship, bringing a UK fashion landmark home to Canadians," says Bonnie Brooks, President and CEO, The Bay. "We are excited to open the doors of the Yorkdale location to consumers on October 5th, and look forward to rolling out more flagships across Canada in the near future."

To kick-start the festivities, the first 10 shoppers in line will each receive a $200 TOPSHOP gift card. Plus, shoppers will also have an opportunity to capture their favourite style moments in a special, in-store photo booth, and will be treated to complimentary TOPSHOP make-overs, homemade treats and much, much more. One lucky consumer will be able to continue the celebration post-grand opening. During the grand opening day consumers will be encouraged to enter the TOPSHOP London Calling contest, for a chance to win two tickets to London, including flights and 3 night's accommodation, and 2 tickets to the Topshop Unique Show, and a pre-trip shopping spree!

The celebration will also be in full swing at TOPMAN. In-store, live DJs will provide entertainment over opening weekend and an exclusive TOPMAN branded playbutton will be awarded with any purchase over $50. Throughout the city, TOPSHOP TOPMAN street teams will surprise Torontonians with pre-loaded giftcards. For the best chance of keeping up with the TOPSHOP TOPMAN team, style-savvy consumers are encouraged to follow TOPSHOP TOPMAN tweets.

TOPSHOP

Apparel | Accessories | Make Up

Set on the second floor, Topshop will showcase the extensive trend-driven mainline, a curated selection of Unique, the directional collection presented at London Fashion Week. Not to be missed, collaborations with Simone Rocha and Michael van der Ham will hit the floor shortly following the opening. For head-to-toe dressing the Yorkdale store will also carry an array of fearless statement accessories, from bags to shoes and the Freedom jewelry collection. To complete the look, beauty lovers rejoice: Smoke & Mirrors, a star line-up of cosmetic favourites created with cues from 70s glamour will be arriving for Autumn/Winter 2011. Complementing this evolving seasonal line will be the TOPSHOP Make Up Core Range of affordable everyday essentials.

TOPMAN

Apparel | Accessories

Housed on the first floor are Topman's latest trends, showcased within a slick, stylish space with a distinct modern British feel, providing a true shopping destination for the consumer. In addition to the main range, Topman will also introduce LENS AW11 with three new designers; Uniforms for the Dedicated, Daniel Jackson, and David David join the LENS collective. These three exciting additions will sit alongside a portfolio of LENS favourites, meant to highlight the cream of the crop in emerging menswear designers.

To mark the brands' entry into the Canadian market, special, limited edition and Exclusive Canada-inspired TOPSHOP and TOPMAN items will be available to consumers for the duration of the launch period.

IN-STORE SERVICE

TOPSHOP has always pioneered a first class service, and consumers can look forward to such personal services touches as by-appointment personal shoppers, ready to help select the ideal look for any occasion. See in-store for further details and to make an appointment

Editor's Notes:

•Topshop/Topman Toronto will be located at Yorkdale Shopping Centre
•Topshop/Topman Toronto will be two floors located at The Bay, with Topman on the first floor and Topshop on the second floor
•Over 15,000 square feet.
•Canadian online shopping, an international first, will launch on October 5th at thebay.com/topshop and thebay.com/topman.
•Exclusive and Limited Edition Topshop and Topman items available in Canada only, during the grand opening
•A Canadian specific social media presence has been created to keep fans across the country up to date on the brand. Twitter: twitter.com/topshop_canada and twitter.com/topmanCA Facebook: facebook.com/topshopcanada and facebook.com/topmancanada
ABOUT THE BAY

Hudson's Bay Company was incorporated in 1670 by a British royal charter under King Charles II. With an unrivalled 341-year history in Canada, Hudson's Bay Company is renowned for its historical role in the development of the nation. Today, The Bay is Canada's leading department store and has established a reputation for quality, service, and more than ever, for style. A world-class department store, The Bay offers well edited assortments of exclusive and popular fashion, beauty, home and accessory designers and brands. The stores are continually evolving to provide customers with new and exclusive

merchandise, as well as customized services to set The Bay apart from any other retailer in Canada. The Bay operates 90 stores in 8 provinces across Canada as well as www.thebay.com, the company's online store.

ABOUT TOPSHOP

Since it launched in 1964, Topshop has become a major style authority and one of fashion's biggest success stories. Topshop began as Peter Robinson's Top Shop, a young fashion brand in the basement of the former department chain, Peter Robinson Ltd.

In 1994, the Topshop flagship store was born, as the brand took over a 90,000 sq ft space at London Oxford Circus. It remains there today, and is considered the world's largest fashion store on the high street, attracting over 200,000 shoppers each week. In April 2009, the first American Topshop store opened its doors in New York.

In 2005, Topshop showed its own in-house designed collection, Unique, as part of the official London Fashion Week schedule. The only high-street brand to show on schedule, Unique's witty approach to style has made it a first choice for those who like to stay ahead. 2012 will see the tenth anniversary of Topshop's sponsorship of New Generation, which has nurtured an impressive roster of British talent over many seasons of London Fashion Week.

ABOUT TOPMAN

Topman has earned its sartorial stripes with an unswerving, energetic approach to producing truly exciting high-street men's fashion. Driving trends forward while shifting the way men approach shopping, the Brand's attitude to creating brilliant, affordable and authoritative menswear is second to none.

Born in 1978, Topman is the male equivalent of successful stable-mate; Topshop. With over 210 stores in its native Britain, almost every high street in the country boasts its very own slice of Topman. London's mega Oxford Circus flagship - one of several chief stores in the major cities throughout the UK - sees over 75,000 pairs of feet storm its two floors every week. The rest of the globe is catching up too. Here's the math: there are Topman stores in over 70 cities worldwide, stretching across 20 countries while boutiques in America, China, Germany, Belgium and Japan stock the Brand.

As one might suspect, its fashion forwardness continues into cyberspace with transactional website topman.com seeing over 450,000 unique visits per week and current shipping to over 100 countries across the globe.

ABOUT ARCADIA GROUP LIMITED

Owned by Sir Philip Green and his family and with eight of the United Kingdom's best-known fashion and high street brands, each with its own distinctive identity and market segment, Arcadia Group is the UK's largest privately owned clothing retailer with more than 2,500 outlets, and an international business that trades in 37 countries and delivers on line to more than 100 countries worldwide. In January 2011 Sir Philip was honoured with the International Retailer Award at the National Retail Federation's annual convention in New York.

Skeezix said:
That's the reason why I like Topman! Lol. Usually in Canada it's M-XXL. However, the prices aren't small, that's for sure! Especially when H&M is selling practically the same stuff for half the price.

Exactly! Good luck if you're a smaller than average man in Toronto. Finding a size "S" on a rack is usually a miracle (I'm always told stores order fewer small sizes and they sell out first, which begs the question -- why not order more?) And the smalls often aren't even all that small. Most retailers here don't acknowledge that not all men are 6 footers. Foreign chains (like Top Man from the UK and Uniqlo from Japan) have clothes are much more fitted and stock almost everything down to S and XS.

If you don't want to trudge up to Yorkdale, The Bay now has their collection of Top Man stuff online, here: http://www.thebay.com/eng/brands/search/mens-thebay/18834

I ordered a couple things, including a nice XS jacket, and it was at my door the next day, even with standard shipping. The transformation of The Bay stores and service over the last year or so has been incredible, I'm very impressed, and I'm generally a reluctant shopper.

I was in Chicago recently and noticed a stand-alone Topshop was about to open on Michigan Ave. I wonder why they didn't seek a location on Bloor? Has Yorkdale usurped Bloor's retail importance?

I was in Chicago recently and noticed a stand-alone Topshop was about to open on Michigan Ave. I wonder why they didn't seek a location on Bloor? Has Yorkdale usurped Bloor's retail importance?

The Bay has the exclusive rights to Topshop/Topman in Canada, and the Bay store at Bloor and Yonge was probably nobody's choice for the first Topman/Topshop in Canada. The Bay has said it might try stand-alone Topshops at some point, but in the meantime they have every incentive to use them to draw traffic into their department stores.

Interesting that Topshop opened in NYC in April 2009, and hasn't opened its second outlet in the U.S. until now with the Chicago store. Sir Philip Green attributed the slow pace (in this week's Globe) to being a careful planner. So we might not get a rapid roll-out in Canada.

If you don't want to trudge up to Yorkdale, The Bay now has their collection of Top Man stuff online, here: http://www.thebay.com/eng/brands/search/mens-thebay/18834

Thanks for that! I actually typed in topman-dot-ca, thinking it might be the Canadian version of topman.com, but lets just say it was something, uh, different. :eek:

I think Top Man may be too young for me anyways, but I'll check out The Bay's offerings to see what the fuss is all about.

Last edited:
Exactly! Good luck if you're a smaller than average man in Toronto. Finding a size "S" on a rack is usually a miracle (I'm always told stores order fewer small sizes and they sell out first, which begs the question -- why not order more?) And the smalls often aren't even all that small. Most retailers here don't acknowledge that not all men are 6 footers. Foreign chains (like Top Man from the UK and Uniqlo from Japan) have clothes are much more fitted and stock almost everything down to S and XS.

I ordered a couple things, including a nice XS jacket, and it was at my door the next day, even with standard shipping. The transformation of The Bay stores and service over the last year or so has been incredible, I'm very impressed, and I'm generally a reluctant shopper.

Welcome to the world of vanity sizing. Many small women have been sized out of clothing because the so-called "size 0" fits like a 6. In other words, they make sizes appear smaller (by affixing a "medium" on something that should be a large, for example) to make consumers happy.

Personally as one of those 6 footers, I find the only sizes left are always XS, S and XL when I go shopping.

Strange, I am from the UK, and my perception of Top shop/Man seems to be at odds with its market placement here, as they are no better than H&M or Zara in terms of quality, yet appear to want to be considered as 'designer' but each to their own I suppose. i just returned from a trip to Boston where I tried shopping in Lord and Taylor, this proved to be a difficult task as they didn't seem to cater for my size (no trousers beyond a 34 inside leg).

Back