Toronto Bungalow on Mercer | 62.79m | 17s | Kalovida | Scott Shields

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Chalk up another one for the Entertainment District.
Hmmm, 27 units..and no parking.:)

24 MERCER ST

OPA / Rezoning 11 261965 STE 20 OZ Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Aug 23, 2011 --- --- --- ---

Proposal to demolish existing building and maintain front facade (Mercer Street Facade) and construct new residential building, 21 storeies, 27 units, 3 levels below grade accesory use. No Parking, 27 Bicycle parking spaces.

Mercer is going to be a really dense residential back street and more density for the District. I knew this lot was soon due for a development when a proposal was planned across the street. 27 units in 21 storeys....appears like it's going to be a fairly slim and exclusive residence. Sounds like a possibility for interesting architecture.

I still can't picture the buyer here:

-high income
-no car or plans to buy a car
-doesn't care about resale potential

It has potential for a really cool building and one that only has a unit or two per floor. It's very rare to find condos in the city with less than 100 units.
As much as I prefer to live in real boutique buildings, having no parking would be a deal breaker for me.
Even having 1 bicycle parking per unit also sounds pretty low.

The building would be overshadowed by a slew of 40+ condos nearby (present and future).

https://twitter.com/#!/blacktowerTV

mercer.jpg

Last edited:
I still can't picture the buyer here:

-high income
-no car or plans to buy a car
-doesn't care about resale potential

Really? Think Manhattan, and a host of other great world cities where having a car is not needed or even desirable for a good lifestyle ... not to mention...the royal military college site on University where Tribute is building a 40 plus storey tower with no parking! I think it is a sign of a healthy, maturing city.

Really? Think Manhattan, and a host of other great world cities where having a car is not needed or even desirable for a good lifestyle ... not to mention...the royal military college site on University where Tribute is building a 40 plus storey tower with no parking! I think it is a sign of a healthy, maturing city.

If public transit were improving, I would agree with you. For younger, 1st time buyers, I believe parking is not a necessity, but at this price point? Who doesn't lease/own a car?

If public transit were improving, I would agree with you. For younger, 1st time buyers, I believe parking is not a necessity, but at this price point? Who doesn't lease/own a car?

You have to look past transit. Someone buying/renting here will make good money in a job downtown, probably walking distance, and with a good salary comes the additional option of using taxi's on a frequent basis. All the benefits of a car, with no hassle. And if they have/come from money they probably grew up in Forest Hill or Rosedale, or are international, which in all three cases means your family will be within a quick transit/cab distance, or require an 8 hour flight to reach...but rest assured they won't be in Brampton...and even then there is Zipcar.

I find it fascinating that even on a forum like this - filled with urban-minded bloggers - there is still cynicism and doubt about the possibility/desirability/reality of life without a personal vehicle.

If you make good money, etc. and ever want to leave town, it is much easier to own a car and leave it parked when you go to work. That being said I'm sure the developer can find 27 people in the whole city that would be interested in buying in a building with no parking.

If you make good money, etc. and ever want to leave town, it is much easier to own a car and leave it parked when you go to work. That being said I'm sure the developer can find 27 people in the whole city that would be interested in buying in a building with no parking.

...not if that spot costs you a $50,000+ premium over the cost of your unit. Money that even a generally well-off person can see the wisdom in re-allocating to other more worthwhile investments if they can meet most of their needs without a car. I work with a number of young professionals that make a lot of money, live downtown, could have a car, but do not own one. For going out of town, they rent a car, which is easy downtown, or go with a friend or family member that does own a car (that's what friends are for).

Owning a car is not seen as the status symbol it may have once been, and in many cases it is seen as an extra burden on already hectic lifestyles...one less thing to worry about...there is also the "green" panache to living car free that nobody should underestimate...the fact that you can show people you are successful, have a sexy condo downtown, can go out 7 days a week, go on vacations, pamper yourself, and yet you CHOOSE not to own a car ... is becoming a way to make a 'lifestyle statement' to many...much like wearing fancy suits or designer handbags, or recycling...there are cocktail parties where if you are that person you would fit in quite well, ...and spend hours chatting over hors d'ouvres about how the suburbs are soul sucking cultural vacuums, and how Rob Ford is turning Toronto into Etobicoke II.

3, 2, 1.....Commence the anti-intelligentsia/douchbaggery comments ....

A lot of these 'higher-middle' class folks you refer to new york take taxis everywhere ... not public transit ...

Back