News   May 21, 2024
 149     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Street photos 194o's to 1980's

A concave/convex complement to the Birchcliff branch, a never-built drive-in bank on University Avenue (the architectural firm of Blackwell & Craig was Eb Zeidler's first partnership; evolved into Craig, Zeidler & Strong) :

bank10.jpg

It was kind of depressing to see what has happened to the strip of stores just east of Warden. You can see the difference in the then and now I posted in Mustapha's stream.

An open market on the site of Market Square 1968:

marketsquare1968.jpg

Anyone know where I could find High Rez file of this? Recently moved to the loft at the back.

Bloor Viaduct --Broadview Danforth in the background.

Streetcar.jpg

Here's a streetcar photographed by my father much earlier at the other end of the Prince Edward Viaduct.
He used his Kodak 2C Autographic camera (see attached), so it was circa 1920-25.

streetcarwestendofViaduct.jpg

Attachments

• Kodak camera.jpg
    Kodak camera.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 387
Love this thread. Question: at about what point in history did people generally stop dressing like civilized adults?

I'd date that to about the time movie stars began to appear in films wearing t-shirts and jeans - Brando, James Dean, Elvis et al - early 50's?
In those days we all smoked, drank and dressed like movie stars - today it's the TV & music celebrities who are copied.

Love this thread. Question: at about what point in history did people generally stop dressing like civilized adults?

I don't know about this country, but there was a precipitous decline in the number of men wearing bowler hats and suits to work in The City of London around 1970. My Mum worked at the Bank of England in the late-'60s, and as a teenager I used to take the train up to London Bridge with her in the mornings to spend the day in town; the bowler-hatted brigade trudging across the bridge to work was very impressive. When I came back to England on my own for a holiday in October 1972 things were already much more casual. I blame it all on Harold Wilson.

Not to sound too much like an old fart, the 60's youth revolution of "do your own thing" and "let it all hang out" was taken literally in a non-fashion sense, somehow giving people permission to appear in public in ways that would have been unthinkable in earlier generations. The emphasis on youth led to the infantilization of menswear, where we see today grown men appearing in restaurants dressed for dinner like 8-year olds on the playground (shorts, caps, t-shirts, etc.).

Streetwear in the past:

queen1920s.jpg

queen1930s.jpg

bay1940s.jpg

people.jpg

bayking53.jpg

Last edited:

Back