Toronto The New Residences of Yorkville Plaza | 92.05m | 31s | Camrost-Felcorp | WZMH COMPLETE

Should the Queens Park view corridor be preserved?

• Yes

Votes: 168 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 145 37.4%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 60 15.5%

• Total voters
Destroying these huge, perfectly functional buildings would be ridiculously wasteful. Problems like the bunkerish street presence can be remediated. This is already a high density site. I'd rather see those construction resources go into something that actually needs densification.

Cheapening the terminating vista of a house of democracy is also ridiculous. Beyond Toronto, few major cities in North America have so many important public buildings as terminating vistas, and this one happens to be the grandest. I sincerely hope that the developer came to his senses.

Is there room for a second tower if the existing structure remains?

Ad in Toronto Star uses same small image from registration website.

http://yorkvilleplaza.com/

Does not seem to indicate any big changes are proposed.

I expected some larger units than "from pied a terre to one bedroom plus den designs"

Bulldoze the retail at the N/E corner of Cumberland & Ave. Rd. and that could be phase 2, if they plan on one. The cheaper conversions sell off in the old Four Seasons and the big $$ suites in the new south tower.

While I agree that it could be cleaned up at street level, I've always liked the look of the tower. FS and the nieghbouring Renaissance Plaza have a sort of a classy, uptown brutalism that work well together.

I totally agree with this comment.
Downtown Toronto has more than enough empty and neglected spots to develop...

I am happy to hear that the Four Seasons tower will be preserved. When you consider the fact that the Four Seasons has been the preferred home for just about every famous person to visit Toronto in the last 20 years there is a lot of history wrapped up inside this building. This will no-doubt be a HUGE selling point to offset the 8 foot ceilings.

From a practical stand-point I could not understand how it was economically feasible to tear down this building only to build a slightly taller one with higher ceilings. Because of its location you could not simply implode the structure. It would have to be taken down piece by piece. This would add years to the construction process as well as tens-of-millions of dollars.

If it were possible to just wave a magic wand and replace this building with a newer taller tower I would be all for it but the reality is what was originally proposed was fraught with much risk. My big concern was that they would get half-way through the demolition and the real-estate market crashes leaving a major blight on Yorkville.

really? Thats interesting, Id love to see a video of how they do that in a dense area without destroying ABUTTING buildings. Are there any out there on youtube that you know of?

really? Thats interesting, Id love to see a video of how they do that in a dense area without destroying ABUTTING buildings. Are there any out there on youtube that you know of?

[video=youtube;79sJ1bMR6VQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79sJ1bMR6VQ[/video]

One of the tallest towers ever imploded if I recall correctly?

Last edited:
Just wondering, who wins the poll? The largest group at 44% who want to maintain the vista, or the 56% who voted against?

The 13% that dont care, are not undecided, they just dont give hoot of what size of tower gets built there......which technically includes them into the no preservation vote.

I think don't care means they are uninterested in the state topic, meaning they voted on it for no reason, just to vote, and yes they don't care about the historic preservation of the vista, but they also don't care if the tower gets built at all. So no, you can't just say they were for building the old proposal. I think its a giant waste of perfectly good building to destroy the four seasons. All it needs is a little TLC....like tremclad.

Back