News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Because Metrolinx is paying for the design, and the design influences and is influenced by the headways. Thus, Metrolinx should have a good idea of what standard they need to build to and willing to share the info, while the TTC has more at stake in telling the public a figure that might not be realised.

Well I'm no expert but I'd have thought offpeak frequency was a purely operational decision. You design for peak loads and then decide how many operators to pay for in the middle of the day, right?

I'll leave it to someone else to explain how they could be contemplating peak hour headways that are slower than Sheppard!

Plus Metrolinx will own the Eglinton LRT, I forget partially why it is important for the province to own it. I remember one of my co-workers explaining to me something about it being easier to put upfront capital to expand a line if the province owns it, as opposed to if the city owns it.

Because Metrolinx will own the assets, the initial outlay for them does not get added to the provincial government deficit. This has nothing to do with operational decisions about the line, which will be the TTC's.

Because Metrolinx will own the assets, the initial outlay for them does not get added to the provincial government deficit. This has nothing to do with operational decisions about the line, which will be the TTC's.

Yes I know, I never said the TTC would not operate it. But Metrolinx is purchasing vehicles and building it based on frequencies it is deciding. You don't bite the hand that's feeding you.

TTC finally awarded the design contracts for Chaplin and Oakwood stations - http://www2.ttc.ca/html/awards.htm $4-million each to Aecom. The previous 5 stations awarded back in March from the same tender ranged from $4-million to $10-million.

Interesting.. I thought Oakwood and Chaplin stations were not going to be omitted? Don't get me wrong, I am glad the stations will be part of the ECLRT, but I heard Metrolinx were going to omit them?

happy about oakwood... indifferent about chaplin.... but it will make shopping on the eglinton west way easier... I do see people waiting for buses at chaplin often tho.

I used to live in the Oakwood/Eglinton area, and the area is quite lively. A station at Oakwood will help the neighbourhood immensely.

Presumably both will be well used as we see future densification along the corridor (even if it's decades away). Though given that Ford is going to use the future tax income on Eglinton to fund Sheppard, then I'd think that the city will be quite open to major developments in this area ... I'd expect developers along the central portion of Eglinton to be rushing projects along quickly in fear that Ford won't be there after 2014. Shame he doesn't add Danforth or Bloor to the list as well ... there's no where near the densification between Broadview and Main that should have occurred since the 1960s.

I don't think anyone ever said the stations would be omitted; there were rumours however; whether the rumours came from sources within TTC/Metrolinx or just because the award of these 2 stations was delayed, I don't know. Though I'd bet that TTC/Metrolinx did rethink whether these stations were necessary, and held up the award of them until they concluded that they would be part of the final plan - but that's pure speculation.

Presumably both will be well used as we see future densification along the corridor (even if it's decades away). Though given that Ford is going to use the future tax income on Eglinton to fund Sheppard, then I'd think that the city will be quite open to major developments in this area ... I'd expect developers along the central portion of Eglinton to be rushing projects along quickly in fear that Ford won't be there after 2014. Shame he doesn't add Danforth or Bloor to the list as well ... there's no where near the densification between Broadview and Main that should have occurred since the 1960s.

I don't think anyone ever said the stations would be omitted; there were rumours however; whether the rumours came from sources within TTC/Metrolinx or just because the award of these 2 stations was delayed, I don't know. Though I'd bet that TTC/Metrolinx did rethink whether these stations were necessary, and held up the award of them until they concluded that they would be part of the final plan - but that's pure speculation.

So now that we know those two stations are in, which stations look like they WILL be eliminated?

So now that we know those two stations are in, which stations look like they WILL be eliminated?

Okay well, there are 26 stations on the line.

We know for a fact that there's going to be stations at Keele, Caledonia, Dufferin, Oakwood, Eglinton West, Bathurst, and Chaplin. Which is 7. We also know Yonge, Kennedy, and Scarborough Centre, so 10. And let's say at least one station in the Black Creek area, so 11. That leaves 15 on the rest of the line.

If it was me, I would probably take the following: Avenue Rd, Mt Pleasant, Bayview, Laird, Leslie, Don Mills, Wynford, Bermondsey, Victoria Park, Warden, Birchmount, Lawrence East, Ellesmere, Midland, McCowan. In other words, cut Ferrand, Pharmacy, Lebovic, and Ionview. But of course we don't know what the west end of the line is going to look like. For every additional station west of Black Creek we would have to cut another station somewhere along the centre.

For every additional station west of Black Creek we would have to cut another station somewhere along the centre.
We don't have to cut a station. It's not written in stone that there can be no more than 26 stations - it was a throw-away line based on a 25-km line and 1-km spacings.

Your station list looks very reasonable though.

They've been using the "up to 26" figure a lot, especially at the community meetings. I'm guessing they figured out how many stations they could afford and now they're in the process of deciding where they go. I would be pretty surprised if we ended up with more than 26.

Back