News   May 03, 2024
 506     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 250     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Progress" in transportation.

TN-EllesmereRdeastfrom12301952.jpg

May 19 addition.

Then: Sep 9, 1938. SW corner St. Andrew and Spadina.

s0372_ss0058_it1500.jpg

Now. May 2011. The major change here is the disappearance of that huge looming religious building on the right. UTers "lwm0415" and "Ken Sington" are having a polite debate on the news page under this pair of pictures (it's an article there) as to what the mystery building is.

CSC_0343.jpg

One of the wonders for me in these Then and Now scenes is — besides the inevitable comparison of what once was — is the wonder of enjoying what we have Now. Example: On Spadina Avenue across the street from where I took this photo is the Ding Dong Bakery. It's a newish establishment, not terribly polished looking, so not too popular. I highly recommend their excruciatingly inexpensive delicacies. They have meat-filled and sweet cakes of all kinds. They refrigerate well, so you can stock up and bring them for lunch the next day. Further up the street is Kom Jug Yuen, a wonderful restaurant with tattered '70s decor and '80s prices. This establishment is rather too busy at lunch, try dinner instead. It's always filled with U of T students who are in-the-know about the big servings and low prices. Warning: their bathrooms are for emergencies only.

Interesting to see the Life magazine logo among the newsstand fare in the older photo (it was 2 years old at that point)

May 19 addition.

Then: Sep 9, 1938. SW corner St. Andrew and Spadina.

s0372_ss0058_it1500.jpg

Now. May 2011. The major change here is the disappearance of that huge looming religious building on the right. UTers "lwm0415" and "Ken Sington" are having a polite debate on the news page under this pair of pictures (it's an article there) as to what the mystery building is.

CSC_0343.jpg

One of the wonders for me in these Then and Now scenes is — besides the inevitable comparison of what once was — is the wonder of enjoying what we have Now. Example: On Spadina Avenue across the street from where I took this photo is the Ding Dong Bakery. It's a newish establishment, not terribly polished looking, so not too popular. I highly recommend their excruciatingly inexpensive delicacies. They have meat-filled and sweet cakes of all kinds. They refrigerate well, so you can stock up and bring them for lunch the next day. Further up the street is Kom Jug Yuen, a wonderful restaurant with tattered '70s decor and '80s prices. This establishment is rather too busy at lunch, try dinner instead. It's always filled with U of T students who are in-the-know about the big servings and low prices. Warning: their bathrooms are for emergencies only.

It was the Hebrew Men of England synagogue (originally a church). Pic below shows its opening in 1922;

863331.jpg

Another view (on the right). It burnt down in 1960.

s0372_ss0058_it1444.jpg

Last edited:
May 20 addition.

Then. "July 23, 1923. Galena Signal Oil from cabin".

This old view is looking NW. This complex was located at the NE corner of Dupont and Campbell. The CN rail corridor here is still very much in use today. Thanks to UTer "wwwebster" for this geographical information.

This complex was part of an American oil company whose specialty was railroad industry oils. It eventually became part of the present day Valvoline company.

GalenasignaloilfactoryRoyceavenue7231923.jpg

Later. About "1926", according to the Toronto Archive photo notes.

14a.jpg

Now. May 2011. We are looking NE in this view (similar to the 'fire" view). I couldn't get on the tracks to take a picture. The entire rail corridor area was fenced very securely. I could have climbed a chain link fence topped with three strands of barbwire but alas my heart wasn't in it. I also didn't have a movers blanket to neutralize the wire. :)

DSC_0329.jpg

Everyone,

I will be taking weekends and holidays off from posting pictures effective this weekend. I may still come along on weekends and holidays and say whatever comes into my mind at that moment :) about someones else's post.

Warm regards to all UTers.

-J

More on the Hebrew Men of England Synagogue from a wonderful book Spadina Avenue written by Rosemary Donegan in 1985:

img062.jpg

img063.jpg

Goldie, your recent picture sets have been, ahem, Golden. :)

Thanks,Mustapha.
I finally got out & about after waiting for Spring.
Here's a couple of others.

Broadview at Chester Hill

TNBroadview-ChesterHill1926.jpg

Todmorden Hotel on Broadview

TNTodmordenHotelBroadview1905.jpg

Wow I lived a block from that intersection. Would you have any pics of Thorncliffe Ave?

Condos and Condos and Condos Oh My

JARVIS & CHARLES

When I was a boy my parents sent me to a boarding school just north of Toronto. Each and every year we had a parade - forced march more like it - in Toronto. I came across this photo of me (HINT: I'm wearing a kilt). Amazingly, I now live in one of the yellow apartment buildings facing Jarvis. Who would have thought! The photo is circa 1977 perhaps.

Nov142010-043-1.jpg

NOW: May 23 2011

IMGP0340.jpg

Last edited:

Back