Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

by me

sany0368k.jpg

One thing I've noticed, when sitting towards the rear of the theatres, is that you can sometimes hear voices in the projectionist booth. Could they not have done better soundproofing?

They continue to get audience complaints, apparently, about the "walkie-talkie" sounds emanating from the un-soundproofed projectionist booths. It wasn't too bad today, at the 1 pm start of Lawrence of Arabia, however. One also wonders why they felt the need to use such a large amount of glass between the booths and the theatres. There's nothing of any particular interest for the audience to see in there, and the projectionists don't need to keep their eyes on us. That the Blue Room isn't open until 4:30 pm when you arrive early for a 1 pm movie is annoying, since there are few places to sit if you don't want to eat in one of the restaurants or admire the lacklustre selection of TIFF-branded merchandise in the gift shop for the umpteenth time.

Whenever possible I sit in the middle and centre of a cinema (known as the "sweet spot" for the best picture and sound) so I've not heard voices at Bell Lightbox from the booth but from where I was sitting when I saw 2001 in 70MM I could hear the projector noise during quiet passages. I'm confident that they'll address the problem of sound leakage into the cinemas. I have a friend who works in the booth there, I'll run it by him and see what he knows.

I was chatting to a guy ( also seeing Lawrence ) today who has a projectionist friend there ( free passes - get to know a projectionist, folks! ) and they're aware of the public complaints.

I like how they've redesigned the second floor lounge to make it more inviting.

I used to hear voices telling me to raise an army and drive the English out of France ...

I went to the Tim Burton exhibit last weekend and walked around the building. The more of this building I see, the more I like it. I like the Bell Blue Room very much, love the urban textured view.

I haven't gone to a movie there yet. That will be next on the list.

Back