Airports pitch sites as all-purpose transport hubs

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Airports pitch sites as all-purpose transport hubs

July 20th, 2010

By Roger Yu

usat_logo2.gif

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/travel/2010-07-20-airporthubs20_CV_N.htm

Some U.S. airports are waking up to the potential of some of their key assets: buses, cars and trains headed their way and acres of unused land. They're starting to see themselves as all-purpose transportation centers — so-called intermodal hubs — where national, regional or metro rail, local buses, rental cars, taxis and shuttle operations are consolidated. Some, such as those in Miami and Providence, are building them. Others are seriously considering it. The goal is to not only give travelers greater access to and from airport terminals, but to make the airport a central station where people go for a variety of choices in ground transportation.

Travelers, for instance, could take a local express bus or light rail to an airport, many of which are far from urban centers, for more than a flight. There, they could rent a car, or get regional or even national rail service to go somewhere else — without having to transfer to another station. And they could do it without having to drive and park their car in a far-flung lot. The same options exist when they land. "It's a great idea," says Jeff Mayhew, a frequent traveler and a human resources director in Memphis. "It's about time we catch up. Parking is so expensive these days, and if you're stuck using a remote lot, you're likely riding a bus a couple of miles anyway."

When Mayhew lived in Brussels, he says, he used to hop on an airport express train from a station across the street from his apartment. The train dropped him off at a station directly under the terminal. "It would cost about 6 euros ($7.75) round trip, vs. 20 euros ($26) a day if I parked my car there," he says. "No hassle with traffic. One elevator ride, and I was at security." Airports see practical reasons for turning themselves into public transportation centers. They can reduce pollution and traffic congestion around terminals. They also see dollar signs in building hubs. Some airport officials think they'll attract greater air service and open up another stream of non-aviation revenue from possible commercial development nearby.

The InterLink hub in Providence is scheduled to open in September and will consolidate the connection points of planes, trains, buses and rental cars.

airporthubsx-large.jpg

Portland is one of 16 major metropolitan cities in the U.S. to have a public rail system running from city center to the airport. Travel time on TriMet MAX light rail is just 38 minutes to downtown.

portx-large.jpg

The GTA's second big train station should be Pearson Airport. One day we'll realize, maybe.

That's a big maybe. Considering there isn't a train station there now. I don't count Malton, and even if you do, only a few GO trains serve it.

The GTA's second big train station should be Pearson Airport. One day we'll realize, maybe.

One of the 10 Big Moves in the Metrolinx RTP is to do exactly that: turn Pearson into a transit hub. Unfortunately, there is once again a disconnect between policy and implementation, as Metrolinx chose to do the eastern leg of the Eglinton LRT as opposed to the western leg to connect to Pearson. I guess they conveniently forgot a move or two.

The best case analysis was 28 to 31 km/h, even though there's very little real world evidence to support that such a design would reach those speeds. C-Train in an old rail ROW having signalled crossings and with fences separating it from pedestrian traffic? Perhaps. A wider version of St. Clair? I really doubt it. Compare that to a subway with new rocket cars which could average 35-36 km/h. Then there's also issues of capacity which is a real issue on this stretch of Eglinton, with many, many trips intercepted off the B-D, and added through a transit connection to the Airport and rapid transit penetrating through Etobicoke.

EDIT: While I like the idea of a major train station at Pearson, things don't stop at a terminus for Eglinton and a stop on the Georgetown line. I firmly believe that in the future, it should connect to a Go ALRT-esque regional hydro corridor route going through Etobicoke and connecting with the subway in North York, and some kind of RT along highway 27/427. It's in a rather good position for a regional connecter in the west end of the city, but it'd need loads of work on additional transit routes to have Union-like importance. And there's the fact that the entire georgetown corridor should be diverted under it, which is another capital cost that sinks the likelihood of anything happening way down.

Last edited:
The best case analysis was 28 to 31 km/h, even though there's very little real world evidence to support that such a design would reach those speeds.
It's 670-m stop spacings ... the 501 does 23 km/hr in rushhour on the Queensway with 460-m spacings. Not a big leap to get to 28 km/hr with 30% less stops.

Then there's also issues of capacity which is a real issue on this stretch of Eglinton, with many, many trips intercepted off the B-D, and added through a transit connection to the Airport and rapid transit penetrating through Etobicoke.
Capacity?? The AM Peak forecast for 2031 for the part Metrolinx isn't going to build yet is only 2,300 pphpd! And that's just west of Jane. It's only 1,500 by the time you get to Renforth. Capacity is NOT an issue!

Last edited:
Or commuter rail could go there with 70 kph averages.

Maybe they could also extend the BD up to the airport and use it to scoop up more Mississauga routes to connect with as well.

Or commuter rail could go there with 70 kph averages.
That would be the express Union-Pearson train ... if that's 22-mintues for 25 kilometres, that's 68 km/hr. And it's under construction, and should be in service in 2015. It doesn't serve the Eglinton corridor well though, though it could connect with the Eglinton LRT at Weston, if the LRT gets extended one further station.

Maybe they could also extend the BD up to the airport and use it to scoop up more Mississauga routes to connect with as well.
I could think of worse ways to extend the Bloor subway. And it could intersect the Mississauga transitway at Renforth station. The distance would be about 11 km to Terminal 1; so that would add another 20 minutes from Kipling station. At least 15, even if they went virtually non-stop.

The best case analysis was 28 to 31 km/h, even though there's very little real world evidence to support that such a design would reach those speeds. C-Train in an old rail ROW having signalled crossings and with fences separating it from pedestrian traffic? Perhaps. A wider version of St. Clair? I really doubt it.

Have you ever been on the 501 streetcar through The Queensway?

That would be the express Union-Pearson train ... if that's 22-mintues for 25 kilometres, that's 68 km/hr. And it's under construction, and should be in service in 2015. It doesn't serve the Eglinton corridor well though, though it could connect with the Eglinton LRT at Weston, if the LRT gets extended one further station.

It's too bad about the $22 part though, especially since you can go to Oshawa on the train for a lot less.

It's too bad about the $22 part though, especially since you can go to Oshawa on the train for a lot less.
$22? For an express downtown to Airport train. Your dreaming ... I can't imagine it will be that cheap when it goes into service in 2015. Closer to $40 I'd guess ...

Have you ever been on the 501 streetcar through The Queensway?
Yeah and while it's fast and good for the corridor, it definitely doesn't compete with the subway at all. And that's using crappy 30 year old subways, while technology's progressed hugely in terms of ATO that's forecasted for a 10% speed increase.

niftz, your numbers are terribly wrong. If Eglinton only captured half of the riders that the B-D did in the section past Jane (read: virtually a totally new swath of riders taken in, as well as airport trips, as well as same density as the Bloor corridor and intercepting riders off busses bound for Bloor,) there would need to be 50 hours in the day for it to have a peak 2k pphpd, and that's disregarding rush hour commutes that'd push that peak number even higher. So it'd need to have maybe 1/8 of the ridership that Bloor picks up for it to have a peak of 2k pphpd west of Jane. By just looking at a map, you can easily laugh at that estimate.

Back