News   May 14, 2024
 250     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 342     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.2K     1 

My Masters Projects on the Downtown Relief Line

You're against the DRL too? Wow. Even most TC fans wouldn't be with you on that one.

And the beauty about Jupiter's plan is that it wouldn't even affect the routes of any TC line so technically they all could be built concurrently.

Jupiter, great website! You've done a very good job making a case for this line. See if you can contact anyone at TTC with regards to this, maybe they might be enlightened to the fact that the DRL is required now! Try sending it to TTC and Metrolinx.

(I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm there.)

Not really. He's repeatedly bashed subways in any and every form. I am pretty sure he wouldn't really support the DRL just because its subways.

Who knows, maybe he's now lie and say it was sarcasm?

Could you give us your chapter outline for the thesis?

Could you give us your chapter outline for the thesis?

This essentially IS the thesis. I asked York if I could do it in this format in order to try to promote the idea to the general public and they okayed it.

This essentially IS the thesis. I asked York if I could do it in this format in order to try to promote the idea to the general public and they okayed it.

Based on what I know, the way that the masters thing should work is that a person has to do a thesis to finish. This is usually worth the equivalent of two or three classes in terms of credits. Some places, or many, offer an alternative - to do some research paper - it's less but in return one has to take one or two more classes to cover the gap between that and the thesis.
Now, if this is recognized as a full thesis then I really would be amazed as to how that is accredited.

One final thing - in the about me section the department name is not clear. Is it just ES, or is it ES-UP? If one was not familiar they would think that the official name is Environmental Studies and Urban Planning, which is not the case. Everything aside - I am surprised that the environmental studies side is not together with the geography department at york uni. I wonder why that's so, 'cause they fit well together.

Maybe i missed it on your report but what are the station lengths/metro car capacity are you proposing for the line?

Maybe i missed it on your report but what are the station lengths/metro car capacity are you proposing for the line?

If I had to guess, they'd follow regular Toronto subway standards, especially since the DRL is anticipated to be busy. I don't see them using short trainsets like are used on Sheppard. This is downtown after all.

Why is a Dufferin Street alignment never considered for the western leg? Dufferin is already one of the busiest bus routes, and the bus needs relief.

Why is a Dufferin Street alignment never considered for the western leg? Dufferin is already one of the busiest bus routes, and the bus needs relief.

It's too close to the Spadina Line obviously. By Dufferin-Eglinton one's only a hop/skip away from it.

My preferrence would be to use Parkside Dr-Keele St instead of either Roncesvalles or Weston-Galt south of Rogers. Using the rail corridor to save on costs (debatable) neglects the densest areas of the west end that a DRL could and should net (Parkdale, Ronci Village, High Park - that large apartment cluster just NW of Keele Stn, the heart of the Junction - Annette/Dundas/Keele intersection, and the commercial zone Stockyards with lots of townhouse dvlpmts just north of St Clair). Keele's alignment runs stright into the Weston-Galt prior to Rogers Road, so it would be a smooth transition for trains going either direction.

It's too close to the Spadina Line obviously. By Dufferin-Eglinton one's only a hop/skip away from it.

My preferrence would be to use Parkside Dr-Keele St instead of either Roncesvalles or Weston-Galt south of Rogers. Using the rail corridor to save on costs (debatable) neglects the densest areas of the west end that a DRL could and should net (Parkdale, Ronci Village, High Park - that large apartment cluster just NW of Keele Stn, the heart of the Junction - Annette/Dundas/Keele intersection, and the commercial zone Stockyards with lots of townhouse dvlpmts just north of St Clair). Keele's alignment runs stright into the Weston-Galt prior to Rogers Road, so it would be a smooth transition for trains going either direction.

I don't think we could use the Weston subdivision south of Bloor if we wanted to, GO has more or less spoken for it. With expanded service on the Georgetown, Milton and Barrie lines they will probably need all the tracks they can get. Add Blue22, VIA and CN on top of that and the chances of extra room being available look very slim.

I would probably not use the corridor anyway for the reasons Fresh Start stated, and because an underground alignment would likely create a much more seamless transfer between the DRL and the Bloor line. Having a well designed transfer could increase ridership on the DRL, so spending the extra money to do it underground might pay off in the long run.

North of the West Toronto Diamond, there shouldn't be a problem using the rail corridor. There's room for 6-8 tracks there and we don't need that many for mainline rail.

^ 6-car T1 trainsets typically fit 150 metre long station platform, so 7-cars would require 175 m length platforms.

I would probably not use the corridor anyway for the reasons Fresh Start stated, and because an underground alignment would likely create a much more seamless transfer between the DRL and the Bloor line. Having a well designed transfer could increase ridership on the DRL, so spending the extra money to do it underground might pay off in the long run.

Yeah and about that, Keele/Bloor is unique in that it's the only location on the Bloor Line where an intercepting DRL would not have to contend with weaving above or below an existing station. Thus we could have a very shallow platform area right underneath the Keele/Bloor intersection with not much modifications to the existing station required other than new elevator shafts directly linking the WB/EB platforms of Keele to the central platformed DRL station and new escalators/stairs connecting to the mezzanine level.

Back