Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Yonge & Bloor. Don't even consider driving near here until this is finished. It's like this all day.

bt1.jpg

Sidewalks are coming up all the way over to Avenue Rd.

bt2.jpg

I walked that last week and it seems even worse than from Jarvis to Yonge was last year. Yonge to Bay isn't too bad yet, Bay to Avenue Road is a nightmare. But all for the better good.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the revitalization due to be completed this year or next year?

Anyone know if the revitalization due to be completed this year or next year?

The Yorkville BIA website says by the end of 2010 but I doubt it will be 100% complete by then. I think it's fair to say that it will at least look great for next Christmas in Yorkville along Bloor Street.

“By the end of this year”? Why does it take so long? I guess I don't understand the process, but it seems like a relatively quick project (compared to building buildings).

No reason they can't be finished this year.

Jarvis to Yonge still has several areas to be completed from last year so I kind of thought that there will probably be a few unfinished areas between Yonge & Ave. Rd. this year, but I could be wrong. We'll see.

“By the end of this year� Why does it take so long? I guess I don't understand the process, but it seems like a relatively quick project (compared to building buildings).

There are several infrastructure replacements/improvements/upgrades underground so syncing all the trades up while moving ahead above ground can probably get a little dicey.

Today in front of Scotiabank and H&M on Bloor, the egg-crate-shaped, black tree-root systems are being installed below grade.

Last week I walked the stretch of Bloor east of Yonge after nightfall and was surprised at how little pedestrian lighting there is- most alleys are better lit. I could see that they have some floor lighting next to the trees that they still haven't turned on, hopefully it'll make a difference once on- but even then I don't think it will be enough. Does anyone know if they are planning on putting any more in?

“By the end of this year”? Why does it take so long? I guess I don't understand the process, but it seems like a relatively quick project (compared to building buildings).

I guess you never watch construction take place before??

Spend sometime looking how this work is been done and you will see why it takes so long. Sidewalk construction is not you run of the mill work.

On the contrary: I do observe construction and thus have noted that numerous storeys of a building can be built in the time that this sidewalk project takes. I suppose sidewalk construction might somehow be much more complex than building-making, which is bizarre to me, is all.

^^ This is a very different process of building when dealing with existing conditions, such as we are seeing on Bloor Street. There are all sorts of existing elements and conditions buried below and can cause major headaches, ie: phone lines, electrical lines etc. In the case of a new building they are not dealing with such existing conditions, at least for the most part, but building from scratch - so nothing is in the way. This is not to mention that usually when a new building goes up, the floors are a series of repetitious elements which are just stacked one on top of the other, with little to no variation.

p5

Back